Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loading .45ACP 230 grain FMJ over Unique

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Loading .45ACP 230 grain FMJ over Unique

I'd like to load .45 ACP 230 gr. FMJ over Unique powder. I see in their reloading data only recommendations for 230 gr. FMC (6.0 grains).

What is FMC?

Can I use that data as a starting point for 230 gr. FMJ "ball" ammo?

Does anyone use Unique powder for 230 FMJ .45 ACP loads?

As an aside I am also looking for .38 spl. 125 gr. FN reload data. I only find data for 125 gr. JSP (5.3 grains).

What is JSP?

Can I use that data as a starting point for 125 gr. RN copper?

Does anyone use Unique powder for 125 Gr. RN JMJ loads?
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.
    It only takes a second to dial 911; it could take the rest of your life for help to arrive...
    Posts are my opinion based on my experience; YMMV.

Posts liked by others

Unique/45 ACP

Quote Originally Posted by warmrain
    I'd like to load .45 ACP 230 gr. FMJ over Unique powder. I see in their reloading data only recommendations for 230 gr. FMC (6.0 grains).

What is FMC?

FMC = Full Metal Case

Can I use that data as a starting point for 230 gr. FMJ "ball" ammo?

I have been using 5.8 in my Kimber Eclipse and found it to be a little "light", that is, failure to toss the emptys very far. I have since moved up to the 6.0 gr recommendation.

Does anyone use Unique powder for 230 FMJ .45 ACP loads?

As an aside I am also looking for .38 spl. 125 gr. FN reload data. I only find data for 125 gr. JSP (5.3 grains).

What is JSP?

JSP = Jacketed Soft Point.

Can I use that data as a starting point for 125 gr. RN copper?

Does anyone use Unique powder for 125 Gr. RN JMJ loads?
    Good luck and good shooting...Pappy
    Johnny

I miss America
    Sent from my keyboard using hunt-n-peck...
    SCIENTIA SIT POTENTIA

Posts liked by others
    Pappy,

It sounds like FMC is synonimous with FMJ?

So you're using 6.0 of Unique with 230 gr. jacketed?

I'm thinking the JSP is similar enough to JRN that I can use that data for the same bullet weight?
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.
    It only takes a second to dial 911; it could take the rest of your life for help to arrive...
    Last edited by warmrain; 19th January 2006 at 17:05. Reason: for clarity and spelling

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by warmrain
    Pappy,

It sounds like FMC is synonimous with FMJ?

So you're using 6.0 of Unique with 230 gr. jacketed?

I'm thinking the JSP is similar enough to JRN that I can use that data for the same bullet weight?
    Yes Steve. FMC = FMJ. I guess it's an old term now and not much used any more. Times and terminology change. Drat!!!!

On the Alliant web site they list 16,000 psi for 6.0/230 Unique. COL = 1.190" (mininum), which is pretty stubby and if you go to about 1.250", this pressure will drop somewhat. This is in the range of standard factory loads.
    They do list a +P load at 6.4/230/JHP/19,400 psi. COL now is 1.230" minimum.
    Steve, try the 5.7 - 5.8 weight and see if it is suitable for you.
    I use the RCBS Little Dandy powder measure (interchangeable rotors). The #12 threw 5.75 grains and I found it to be a tad light as I mentioned earlier, and the next rotor up, #13 threw about 6.4 grains. So I carefully drilled out the #12 so I would get 6.0 grains. And marked it #12MOD.
    Anyway, I once posted a thread about Unique/45ACP. If you can find it, you'll see what others have said.
    Take care, Steve...Pappy
    Johnny

I miss America
    SCIENTIA SIT POTENTIA

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappy
    FMC = FMJ
    So what did it stand for? Full Metal Casing? Covering?
    "I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid, and ... I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot
    Tom - Resident Computer Geek
    Have a computer or Forum question? Visit our very own M1911.ORG Help Desk and ask!

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by IslandersFan
    So what did it stand for? Full Metal Casing? Covering?
    Hi Tom.
    The Lyman Ideal handbook #40 (April 1955) calls it Full Metal Casing. I don't recall hearing the term jacketed in those days...Pappy
    Johnny

I miss America
    SCIENTIA SIT POTENTIA

Posts liked by others
    So I get up to the workshop to start loading .45 ACP for the first time with the components I bought months ago and... I've got 200gr. RN...

So, I'm just starting to load for .45 ACP after some reasonable experience with revolver loads. I just loaded my first .45 ACP this AM in fact.

I loaded 6 rounds of 200 gr. RN over 8.1 gr. of HS-6 and another 6 over 6.4 gr. of Unique.

These are both -10% (as recommended for starting loads) of the normal specification. My intention was to go out to the range tomorrow and see if the slide will even cycle...

I'm being very cautious with the 1911s I have. Some are replacable some are not. The replacable ones are Kimbers CDPs that have been customized (read $$$) and then there are the all steel ones that are not antiques, but rare...

Is starting 10% light the right thing to do? (Overall length is 1.25")

Posts liked by others
    The 8.1gr of HS-6 is toward the higher end of the scale in the Hornady manual. They have 8.6gr at max load around 950 fps. The chart starts at 7.3gr around 800 fps to 8.6gr at 950. They might be a little warm I figure just under 900 fps by the book. The Hornady manual calls 6.2gr of Unique max with the 200 grain RN at 900 fps. The Unique starts at 5.6gr around 800 fps and maxes out at 6.2 at 950fps.I do not think 6.4gr of Unique will be dangerous but it is .2gr past max in the Hornady manual and I myself have never exceeded max load of the charts. Many manuals will differ some but those you loaded with 6.4gr of Unique will be approaching 1000fps and that my friend is a hot load. Myself I would pull the ones you loaded with Unique and reduce the powder charge. Someone on here might know better than me about 6.4gr of Unique in the 200 grain but I would hate for you to get hurt of blow up one of your 1911s. I am pretty cautious when handloading and generally stay around the middle of the chart.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks Hunter,
    I loaded 8.1 of HS-6 (-10% from the Hodgdon site) and <= 6.4 of Unique (also -10%).

It looks like I errored though... Which is why I checked in...

I'm going to pull them all and go to:
    7.3 of HS-6
    and
    5.6 of Unique

Is overall length of 1.25 acceptable?

Many thanks for the sanity check...!

Best,
    Last edited by warmrain; 20th January 2006 at 16:37. Reason: corrected 6.2 to read 6.4 of Unique

Posts liked by others

Question

Thanks again Hunter...
    I'm checking again...

The nearest load I can find on the Hodgdon page for 200 gr. is at:
    http://www.hodgdon.com/data/pistol/45acp.php
    and shows 9.0 of HS-6 for 930 fps. So I down loaded from there by 10% for 8.1 gr.

The nearest load I can find on the Alliant page for 200 gr. is:
    http://recipes.alliantpowder.com/rg....escr=200%20JHP
    And calls for 7.1 of Unique for 975 fps. So I down loaded by 10% for 6.4.

If I look at the 230 gr. data from each I see 8.2 for the HS-6 and 6.0 for the Unique, both pretty close to the middle of what you just gave me for 200 gr.

Now I am confused... and cautious...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast