Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from Brownells, Cabela's, TandemKros or Tekmat, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Also, don't forget to visit our other sponsors sites, click-throughs are appreciated by our advertisers. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hit and Miss

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Hit and Miss

In my humble opinion, Taurus makes a fine 1911. If you should get a lemon you can blame it all on quality control or lack there-of. I have owned 5 Taurus pistols 2 had problems, Not serious but still not acceptable.

Posts liked by others
    I own two Taurus revolvers. One functioned out of the box but required a trigger job to make the trigger even marginally acceptable. The second did NOT function out of the box and required a lot of work to make it functional. The trigger was and is horrible in both DA and SA modes.

The range where I shoot bought two Taurus 1911s to use as rental guns. One had issues out of the box, which I was able to fix. The second broke an extractor. Turns out Taurus does not use an industry-standard extractor, you have to replace with a Taurus extractor. The owner of the range has been waiting six months for taurus to send him an extractor, and the firing pin safety plunger and spring that went AWOL when the extractor launched them.

IMHO Taurus makes lousy firearms, and if you get one good one your are exceptionally fortunate and should NOT buy a second, because you probably won't get lucky twice.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others

Right On!

Taurus makes a lot of bad pistols. Yes some guns are fine but many are not. A local gunshop where I live stopped selling Taurus because of the number of defective new guns they had to send back.

Just because you get a good one doesn't mean they are all good!

Posts liked by others

Icon16

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie
    Taurus makes a lot of bad pistols. Yes some guns are fine but many are not. A local gunshop where I live stopped selling Taurus because of the number of defective new guns they had to send back.

Just because you get a good one doesn't mean they are all good!
    I fully agree with you but, going back to my original comment, The difference between Taurus and Kimber, Colt, SA, and the rest of them is Quality control.
    I think 99% of gun mfgs make good products. Where they differ is seen at the end of the assembly line, QC inspectors.

Posts liked by others
    Back at university, one of our tutors was always emphasizing the need for zero defects in any successful business, how anything less than 100% was unacceptable, what steps in QC can be taken to make this possible, etc-etc.

After multiple [i.e. boring] sessions like this, he casually mentioned someone's 'dissenting' opinion on the matter. I can't remember the man's name, but basically what he wrote was that while a 100% success rate was paramount and should be the goal, ultimately it is, to all intents and purposes, unreachable... but crucially, most businesses are judged on what they do in the [hopefully rare] cases when things DO go wrong.

But this was some time ago, i.e. back when the word 'leverage' was only a noun, never a verb. Hard to imagine, I know...
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    I've had a few Taurus pistols, fortunately no "bad" ones. The last one was a PT1911 in 9mm...came out of the factory with the well known sight issue. Shot 7 inches low at 15 yards....Taurus was aware of the issue and sent me a replacement front sight which helped but didn't fix the problem. It's obvious that QC is an issue....most of these guns should never have left the factory.
    Beauty is skin deep but ugly goes right to the bone.

Posts liked by others
    I really lucked out on a Taurus Tracker 4" 627SS .357 back in 2001. I took the chance because the price was right and in PA you can't hunt with semi-autos. Nor did I want to hunt in the swamps with my pristine Colts and S&W's. The sights are excellent and the accuracy outstanding.

However, I would never take such a chance with their 1911's!
    Certified NRA Instructor Pistol & Shotgun
    ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
    "There Is No Greater High Than Defeating Armed Felons" Rich-D

Posts liked by others

I want to trust Taurus more than I really can.

Years ago I bought a Taurus Model 96 revolver, which is a .22 on a .38 frame. It turned out to be my introduction to taking guns apart and tinkering with them -- because it never quite worked for my purposes, which was double-action shooting. However, I did get value out of it because I was able to make my first attempts at taking apart a S&W-style action (more or less) without serious angst. As it was also my first time inside a double-action revolver, I learned a heck of a lot. It provided the foundation of my revolver knowledge -- such as it is.

But shooting that Model 96 was frustrating. It wouldn't set off the primers reliably on rimfire ammo. You can't make like Jerry Miculek when you're getting 2+ misfires per cylinder!

Much later, I bought one of Taurus's 3" .44 Mag revolvers with the porting. That thing is a peach. Goes bang every time. And when my urge to tinker with that pistol got me in trouble, Taurus fixed it for free under its lifetime guarantee. (Though I was out of pocket for one way shipping.)

On balance, I'd feel like buying a Taurus auto was risky business. But it's a mixed bag. You pays your money and you takes your choice -- and you live with the results.

JP

Posts liked by others

Smile

So Far So Good!,
    I have had a stainless PT-1911 AR pistol for about 4 yrs now and it has been
    one of the best shooting most accurate and glitch free 1911's I own. I have 4 other brand 1911's Springfield Armory, Kimber,Para Ordinance and RIA .
    This Taurus has performed as well if not better than most of the others, maybe I got lucky but no complaints here. I have yet to have a FTF or FTE
    out of it and have shot both reloaded and factory ammo!
    M1911 Pistols are like Lays potato chips, You never
    can have just one!

Posts liked by others

Talking

I am delighted to hear that! So far my PT1911 has performed without a flaw, but I only have 100 rounds through it. I also have an ATI commander that is also flawless. I am convinced that 8 out of 10 low end 1911's turn out great! And 9 out of 10 high end 1911's are perfect. Did I just start something here????
    The more I get to know some people, the more I like dogs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast