Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1911 open class slide.

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    I really don't know -- but generally speaking, fixing failures by upping the spring rate is a bad idea. The spring is only masking the original problem (whatever it is), possibly introducing other problems and/or additional wear elsewhere in the gun.

A 1911 should cycle just fine with a 12lb recoil spring. Some bullseye shooters go quite a bit lower than that, with their target loads.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyros
    I really don't know -- but generally speaking, fixing failures by upping the spring rate is a bad idea. The spring is only masking the original problem (whatever it is), possibly introducing other problems and/or additional wear elsewhere in the gun.

A 1911 should cycle just fine with a 12lb recoil spring. Some bullseye shooters go quite a bit lower than that, with their target loads.
    Think we had this convo in the Rock island armory section before. After 5,000 rounds i just figured the spring was wore out as it was not able to pick the next round up from the magazine and into the chamber.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by shifty_85
    Think we had this convo in the Rock island armory section before. After 5,000 rounds i just figured the spring was wore out as it was not able to pick the next round up from the magazine and into the chamber.
    Well got my .22LR slide painted crimson to see if i wanted it on my open class slide and i think i do!! i like it!

Posts liked by others
    Saiga 12 low recoil spring , saiga factory spring, Rock island armory 1911 factory spring, wilson combat 18 1/2lbs recoil spring.

Funny the 2 factory springs are about the same then the low recoil spring and the wilson spring are almost the same length.

well just tryed them all i think the low recoil spring for the saiga may be the winner. it is pretty easy to work the slide. the factory saiga one was pretty tough almost like the wilson and my factory rock island is laughable its so worn out.

have to go to the range and see what spring works the best with the compd barrel.
    Last edited by shifty_85; 7th June 2013 at 14:51.

Posts liked by others
    Well used the low recoil spring from the saiga 12 and the barrel worked GREAT! both times the target was at 20 feet.

10 rounds slow fire.

http://youtu.be/L8QaMeMGwSY

10 rounds rapid fire.
    http://youtu.be/DMjPkLp0p7o

Tryd to post target pics but it says they are to big and my photbucket is down for some reason i will resize later

i swear this thing kicks less than my .22LR slide firing .22LR's!!! there is nothing to it follow up shots are very easy.

unsure if it was me the new barrel or my slide. but shots seemd to be going to the left from point of aim about 1-2" but i have noitced in my normal 5" barrel if i start firing to fast my shots go high left. oh well i will be able to adjust the red dot for this not worth it to move my iron sights on my carry slide.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12