Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ammo questions

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

ammo questions

any recommendations, pro or con, on .22LR ammo? I have been looking to make a bulk purchase off the internet, there are so different vendors, makes, etc. I want to avoid junk ammo, I don't mind paying a bit more for something that won't jam or misfire. I have SIG Sauer .22LR 1911. how many grain bullet and what velocity should I be looking for? hp or fmj or does that really matter? I'm just shooting at paper targets. Thanks for your thoughts.

Posts liked by others
    My suggestion is to shoot about 100 - 200 rounds of HV 40 gr. round nose, copper coated bullets before using HPs.

Note that the finish on the rails needs to be smoothed down to get maximum performance from your gun. By the time you get to 200 rounds that should be done.

As for ammo, these have worked well in my Sig 1911 22lr:

CCI MiniMags, AR Tactical. Stingers and Velocitors when you move to HPs.
    Remington Golden Bullets
    Federal AutoMatch
    Aguila Super Maximum Hyper Velocity

Good luck finding any of these!
    Last edited by Qwiksdraw; 10th May 2013 at 21:52.

Posts liked by others
    If possible, avoid Remington Thunderbolt.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others

Thumbs up

CCI minimags is the best ammo for 22lr pistols

Posts liked by others
    2nd on CCI MiniMag, best yet for me through a variety of 1911 conversions and other dedicated rimfire pistols. Hope you can find some or anything, real short supply in West Michigan and most other places from what I hear.
    I find that the copper jacket/plated ammo generally works better than a lead bullet.
    Jim

Posts liked by others
    I agree on CCI Minimags. Run perfectly through my Nighthawk Marvel Conv as well as my Kimber before that. Accuracy and reliability are without equal in my experience

Posts liked by others
    In a semi auto .22 Pistol I always start with Match Ammunition loaded to 40gr Solid Lead around 1100 fps-NO HIGH VELOCITY because if the standard lead 40gr 1100 fps load works in the .22 auto it will lower wear and tear from High Velocity offerings making your pistol shoot for a lifetime and then some without being worn out sooner than later.

The only reason to use Mini Mags or higher velocity is to kick the breech face back smartly more than standard velocity. Accuracy is not a problem but sometimes function is a problem in a semi auto. I say start at the lowest standard velocity ammunition like Match type in 40 gr Solid and see how that works. If you have failure to eject then perhaps a Mini Mag solution is in order.

Accuracy will not really deviate that much, and, alarmingly, in a pistol with a barrel length of as much as 7" High Velocity doesn't come out much higher than the Standard Velocity. In a rifle High Velocity might make some difference but in a pistol it means absolutely nothing in Muzzle Velocity.

Ergo, you are always safe to START with the 40gr Standard Velocity ammunition such as CCI Standard or Green Tag or Federal Gold Match or RWS Match or Eley Target Match or anything else in the 1100 FPS (MV) level BEFORE doing HV.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon
    If possible, avoid Remington Thunderbolt.
    I've heard this before too. I never used it but I've seen too many reports saying Thunderbolt is a GAS BOLT like a weather man telling you the weather for the next week. Don't trust it or the weatherman.

Posts liked by others
    Ive had probs with rem thunderbolt and winchester expert leading the barrel... Id like to be able to find anyy 22 right now to shoot

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by SPQRII
    In a semi auto .22 Pistol I always start with Match Ammunition loaded to 40gr Solid Lead around 1100 fps-NO HIGH VELOCITY because if the standard lead 40gr 1100 fps load works in the .22 auto it will lower wear and tear from High Velocity offerings making your pistol shoot for a lifetime and then some without being worn out sooner than later.
    That sounds like a perfectly reasonable approach, for .22LR auto pistols, in general... but most 1911 conversions for the caliber specifically ask for high-velocity ammo.

Having said that, some more recent dedicated 1911 .22s seem to be more forgiving (Umarex/Colt, GSG/Sig), so it never hurts to explore...
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast