Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from Brownells, Cabela's, TandemKros or Tekmat, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Also, don't forget to visit our other sponsors sites, click-throughs are appreciated by our advertisers. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Taurus Horrer Story

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Thanks. Well-before this website was created, a fellow called Carl Sagan remarked that 'Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence'.

Speaking of which, I'd say a 70lb trigger pull is an extraordinary claim. And one ounce of burrs would be downright impressive, too... you could build a few extractors out of that!
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter
    Last edited by Spyros; 27th June 2013 at 09:33.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by AOCM.RET
    This whole issue reminds me of an old saying and Iím not sure if I remember it correctly, so I will paraphrase, it went something like this: Figures do not lie, but those who figure do, at times, stretch the results.
    "Figures don't lie, but liars figure" - Samuel Clemens AKA Mark Twain.
    Certified NRA Instructor Pistol & Shotgun
    ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
    "There Is No Greater High Than Defeating Armed Felons" Rich-D

Posts liked by others
    You math is wrong because you never examined the gun, never fired the gun and never measured the gun. So your math is pure conjecture! It may apply, and it may not because you have no first hand knowledge! And math skills are dime a dozen pal, it doesn't mean squat if you can't apply it to a specific situation. Your math says it can't happen, but in reality it happened and was verified by three experienced shooters. What does that say about your math or ability to use it? Do you want statements from the shooters? No doubt you will try to discredit all the shooters. You position is emotional and ego driven and not rational!

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewie
    You math is wrong because you never examined the gun, never fired the gun and never measured the gun. So your math is pure conjecture! It may apply, and it may not because you have no first hand knowledge! And math skills are dime a dozen pal, it doesn't mean squat if you can't apply it to a specific situation. Your math says it can't happen, but in reality it happened and was verified by three experienced shooters. What does that say about your math or ability to use it? Do you want statements from the shooters? No doubt you will try to discredit all the shooters. You position is emotional and ego driven and not rational!
    To whom is this diatribe directed? Since Spyros is the only contributor to this thread, I have to assume that it is aimed at him. Whomever it is aimed at, your attitude is unacceptable among gentlemen, which is what John expects us all to act like.

Math is never "pure conjecture." Math is math. The mathematics pertaining to sight alignment vis-a-vis point of impact are not higher level calculus -- this is pure plane geometry. The math Spyros posted cannot be disputed. It is what it is.

If there isn't a sight enough taller or shorter or offset enough to correct the problem with your pistol, then the problem is something other than the sights. The math proves that. The math is not subject to dispute, and the math is not "situational," meaning the math can't work correctly for my gun but not work for your gun.

Disclaimer: I work in an engineering-related profession, but I was a math major in college.

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Do you want statements from the shooters? No doubt you will try to discredit all the shooters.
    Yes, unless you want to get banned permanently, we want to hear from those three shooters who can verify your story.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    You math is wrong because you never examined the gun, never fired the gun and never measured the gun. So your math is pure conjecture! It may apply, and it may not because you have no first hand knowledge!
    You, Sir, misunderstand the role of math in the world. When known data is supplied and used (YOU supplied the "three feet low and one foot to the left" information, not me), math is NOT subjective, nor conjectural, nor hypothetical. Or emotional, or personal, for that matter. The math I used (once again, taken straight from Dawson's website, arguably the most specialized sellers of aftermarket sights out there) is used to examine the relationship between sights and barrel. Nothing else.

If the gun shoots three feet out of point of aim, AND the shooter is not to blame (the latter point IS hypothetical), then something between the sights and the barrel is wrong. That's undeniable. ALL I did, was calculate how much it would have to be wrong by. The calculations seem to suggest that the only hypothesis I did make (i.e. that the shooter is not to blame) is unrealistic. If you don't like it, I can only sympathize.

EDIT to add: once again, here is my source for the calculations used in here. If someone has a better source, I for one would love to see it (664KB .pdf document):
    http://www.dawsonprecision.com/image...ightHeight.pdf
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter
    Last edited by Spyros; 1st July 2013 at 01:36.

Posts liked by others
    Post #1

Took it to the 15 yard range and it shot 3 FEET low ...
    Post #19

... it shot 3' low a 7 yards.
    Which of your two statement is correct? Or are they both incorrect?
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Have 3 PT 1911s one in each caliber. The .45 is 6 years old at least, has the Straight Eight sights, the 9mm and 38 Super have Novak sights. None of them out of the box needed any sight adjustment for windage out of the box. Now I have owned and been shooting 1911s since the Army issued me one in Korea in the 50s. I have 1911s by 5 manufacturers at present time and the PT 1911 is as accurate and reliable as any of them.

Posts liked by others
    I had a PT1911 in .38 Super. Although it was reliable, it did shoot consistently low with factory sights. Since I have a number of other .38 Super guns, I traded it off rather than trying to fit an adjustable rear sight.

Posts liked by others
    Low and left is a classic shooter error problem. Just yesterday, I watched a guy shooting a new S&W Shield with a laser and he was steady on the target, right up until he pulled the trigger and completely missed the target. There is a lot to be said for dry firing until you get a good feel for the trigger on a new gun.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast