Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from Brownells, Cabela's, TandemKros or Tekmat, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Also, don't forget to visit our other sponsors sites, click-throughs are appreciated by our advertisers. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Remington 1911R1 Issues?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Unhappy Remington 1911R1 Issues?

I noticed that the front sight on my 1911R1S is off-center and the rear one seems to have worked its way loose, such that little effort is required to move the sight from side-to-side.

This will be a good test of E-RPC's customer service, I guess. Barring that, does anyone know what size hex wrench is needed to adjust the placement of both on the slide?

Thanks!
    It is said that God is always on the side of the heaviest battalions. -Voltaire

Remington 1911R1S - Beretta Nano BU09
    Last edited by u35828; 25th April 2013 at 23:20. Reason: Misspelled title

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by u35828
    I noticed that the front sight on my 1911R1S is off-center and the rear one seems to have worked its way loose, such that little effort is required to move the sight from side-to-side.

This will be a good test of E-RPC's customer service, I guess. Barring that, does anyone know what size hex wrench is needed to adjust the placement of both on the slide?

Thanks!
    Hello u35828,
    I don't know the correct size hex you need, but you can pick up a whole set at a reasonable price at wally world. A complete set will serve you well as you tinker with your firearms-especially at the range.
    Alien

Posts liked by others

Factory Sights Hex Driver Size

Per the E-RPC Tech support:

The wrench size for the screw is .050.

Remington® Arms Company, Inc,. has been contracted by E-RPC™, LLC to manufacture products and answer inquires pertaining to the Model 1911 R1 on behalf of E-RPC™, LLC. Remington® is a trademark of R.A. Brands and used under license.

On that note, I ended up getting a SAE hex wrench set from the local hardware store. Using a hair dryer set to "hot," I was able to break free the screw for the rear sight, reposition it as needed, and tighten it down.

As for the front sight, it didn't budge when I completely removed the screw, so I left it alone.

Given that the .050" hex driver is pretty delicate, it would be a good idea to stock up.

Quote Originally Posted by alien
    Hello u35828,
    I don't know the correct size hex you need, but you can pick up a whole set at a reasonable price at wally world. A complete set will serve you well as you tinker with your firearms-especially at the range.
    Alien

Posts liked by others

Addendum

At my last visit to the range, the resident gunsmith was able to center the front sight for me, which made a big difference in my shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by u35828
    Per the E-RPC Tech support:

The wrench size for the screw is .050.

Remington® Arms Company, Inc,. has been contracted by E-RPC™, LLC to manufacture products and answer inquires pertaining to the Model 1911 R1 on behalf of E-RPC™, LLC. Remington® is a trademark of R.A. Brands and used under license.

On that note, I ended up getting a SAE hex wrench set from the local hardware store. Using a hair dryer set to "hot," I was able to break free the screw for the rear sight, reposition it as needed, and tighten it down.

As for the front sight, it didn't budge when I completely removed the screw, so I left it alone.

Given that the .050" hex driver is pretty delicate, it would be a good idea to stock up.

Posts liked by others
    The .050 Allen wrench is definitely the right one. I used that on my own R1 and it secures the sites very well. If you find that the set screw keeps coming loose a number of times after use, when you go to tighten it back up, put a thin coat (and I emphasize thin coat) of wet nail polish lacquer on the set screw threads before you insert and tighten it. The lacquer will function as a gasket. You DO NOT want to use any glue especially Crazy glue. Then the sights might as well be welded to the slide.
    I'm not as much of a gun enthusiast as I am a "I don't want to be killed by a thug in the street enthusiast".