Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: hammer spring

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

hammer spring

i know the mainspring housing spring standard is 23 lb. any advantages or disadvantages to going higher like to 25lbs.
    !!The Second Amendment Makes All Others Possible!!

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by ronster79
    i know the mainspring housing spring standard is 23 lb. any advantages or disadvantages to going higher like to 25lbs.
    For optimum function the mainspring and the recoil spring are a balancing act.

A heavier mainspring would allow for a lighter recoil spring thereby reducing wear and tear when the slide moves forward. The thing is there is a point of diminishing return with this. At some point the recoil spring won't have enough oomph to push the slide forward fast enough to strip the next round and get it into the chamber.

For fun you could experiment with various combinations of springs to find the lower limit of recoil spring weight that will still reliably run the gun. I'd be interested in what you come up with.
    Last edited by Steve in Allentown; 2nd April 2013 at 16:34.

Posts liked by others
    i'm just looking into different things to try. probably going with 18lb recoil standard and 23 pound hammer spring. may work on the beavertail grip safety to a more comfortable feel then back to range. oh yeah when I find ammo. lol
    !!The Second Amendment Makes All Others Possible!!

Posts liked by others
    Ammo shortage? Just do what I do. Take up a rock solid stance, get a perfect sight picture, and then say "bang". I never run out of ammo and I always hit the bullseye. I guess I'll have to keep doing this until the shelves get restocked.

Just a suggestion but I would highly recommend a 14lb or 16lb recoil spring unless you're going to feed your blaster a steady diet of +P ammo.

Posts liked by others
    No advantage in a 25 pound mainspring.
    Cocked & Locked since 1911

Posts liked by others

affects of heavier mainspring

i am hoping to draw joe chambers into this discussion of various power mainsprings.

I understand what one might accomplish by installing mainsprings of 23 pounds and heavier and then balancing the recoil spring.

have any of you noticed any affect on accuracy, as tested via ransom rest, with installation of heavier mainsprings, such as 23 or 26 pounds?

just wondering.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by ronster79
    i'm just looking into different things to try. probably going with 18lb recoil standard and 23 pound hammer spring. may work on the beavertail grip safety to a more comfortable feel then back to range. oh yeah when I find ammo. lol
    Just so we're all on the same page. The Colt factory standard for 5 inch barrel 1911's in .45ACP is a 23 pound mainspring and a 16 pound recoil spring.
    "Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you." --Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

Posts liked by others
    After playing around with several different spring weight combinations (including use of the 25 lb mainspring) I have found the "stock" configuration of a 16 lb recoil with 23 lb mainspring to be the most reliable setup.
    "Maybe Slowpoke is pretty slow downstairs in the feet, but he's pretty fast upstairs in the cabeza."