Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taurus Warranty (Or Lack Thereof)

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Taurus Warranty (Or Lack Thereof)

I have owned 3 Taurus PT1911's, a Kimber, a Colt and a Springfield Armory. The Tauruses outshoot all of them I have owned. I absolutely loved my Taurus 1911s until today, when I had to deal with Taurus' customer service department (or what they call one).

Problem with this pistol is that the little lobe on the end of the slide stop broke off, rendering it non operational. It still held the pistol together, but would not stop the slide after the last round.

Today, I called Taurus to exercise my "Lifetime Warranty" Taurus so proudly spouts off about all over their website. First, I had to stay on hold for 48 minutes (some clown claiming to be President of Taurus did leave a message telling me my wait could be as long as an hour or more). How nice. I guess that's an alternative to hiring enough customer service people.

Then it gets better. I finally get a human on the phone. After giving her all the pertinent information, she places me back on hold to find the part. 12 minutes later she's back. And informs me that it will only be $24.18 for the part delivered to my home. I asked about the warranty and she said that only applies if I send them the pistol. Keep in mind that this is the part you pull to take the pistol down.

I have had to get parts for Thompson Center Contenders and for a Remington 700 on warranties. In all cases the parts were sent with no problem (and at no cost).

As much as I love my Taurus 1911, this absolute fail on the part of their customer service department will likely make this my last Taurus product.

The best product on the planet is only as good as the word of the manufacturer and Taurus' word is garbage.

Posts liked by others

I have only had great experiences with Taurus service.

I have had great experiences with Taurus. I have a PT745 Pro that is about five years old. When the gun was about one month old, it stopped locking back on an empty magazine. I contacted Taurus, and the gun went back to Brazil on their dime. It was returned about one month later, fully repaired. About six months ago, I purchased an extra magazine that was slightly too big to slide in and out of the grip without force. Taurus bent over backwards to make sure I received properly sized magazines (it took several exchanges, seems they had a bad run of magazines). A little over two weeks ago, I discovered that the oversize magazines had damaged the pistol's magazine release (recoil would cause the magazine to drop). I called Taurus and there was a very long wait to talk to a human. The Taurus person I spoke to offered to send me the parts to fix the gun free of charge. I declined since I had no idea how the parts fit together. She then offered to pick up the pistol and fly it to Fla. on Taurus' dime. They did that and now two week later I received word the pistol would be delivered tomorrow. Call back and try again.

P.S. (2-12-13) Good thing I chose to send the pistol back to Taurus. The mis-manufactured magazines not only messed up the magazine release, it cased a very slight crack in part of the frame. Taurus replaced the damaged frame.
    Last edited by RitaR; 12th February 2013 at 16:32.

Posts liked by others
    Personally I think it is all a matter of attitude and how you initially speak with the person on the phone. Let me give you an example. I think we all know in the US what it is like dealing with the Internal Revenue Service. Well I had an issue with a payment I made being applied to someone else’s account. I had all of the information on the check I sent, when it was cashed etc. I called the IRS and rather than screaming at them I simply said I needed their help. Twenty minutes later the issue was resolved. It was their fault, I knew it was their fault and they admitted it was their fault. I am sure if I had gone after them with “guns blazing” they could have stonewalled me.

Posts liked by others

Follow-up (I'll never buy another Taurus product)

Waited two weeks for my slide stop that cost me $25 when the pistol is supposed to have a lifetime warranty )Btw I found the identical item at Miday USA for $4.99). So, having not received the part, I called Taurus to find out what's up.

A lady answered the phone who has probably never handled a firearm in ther life. She explained to me that a slidestop on a 1911 is a restricted part. To replace it would require disassembly to a level that would void the warranty on the pistol. I asked her to just refund my money and I would buy it elsewhere. She said that was not possible. I said I would call my bank and have them reverse the charges and hung up.

I thought it was over. But not. I then get a call from some clown telling me I was out of line for being upset because I could not get the part or my money back. I asked this guy if he has ever owned a 1911. He said yes. I asked him how he removes the slide on his. He explained that he removes the barrel bushing, slides out the guide rod and spring, then pushes out the magazine release to unlink the barrel. I stopped him and said that its a slide stop he pushes out and that's what I need. He finally agreed to ship the thing to me.

Again, I will say, a product is only as good as the company behind it and Taurus International is worthless. I'll never own another Taurus product and would encourage y'all to do likewise.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by patriotic
    Personally I think it is all a matter of attitude and how you initially speak with the person on the phone. Let me give you an example. I think we all know in the US what it is like dealing with the Internal Revenue Service. Well I had an issue with a payment I made being applied to someone else’s account. I had all of the information on the check I sent, when it was cashed etc. I called the IRS and rather than screaming at them I simply said I needed their help. Twenty minutes later the issue was resolved. It was their fault, I knew it was their fault and they admitted it was their fault. I am sure if I had gone after them with “guns blazing” they could have stonewalled me.
    Its nice you're such a wonderful person. When the conversation initiated I was very courteous.

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Taurus customer support has been known to be ... shaky to say the least.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    Stop and think about it; Taurus has a lifetime warranty. You have a broken slide-stop and want Taurus to send you a replacement for free. OK what is to say that slide-stop they send you isn’t going into another 1911 made by someone else? Taurus has to protect themselves otherwise they will be providing free parts for anybody’s 1911. Restricted part means they have to know the broken part is one of theirs and not all parts have a serial number.

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Have you ever check how many times RIA has sent parts to their gun owners? If you respect your customers, either you send them a Fedex tag to pick the broken pistol up and fix it, or if this is a simple part to change, you send them the part, no questions asked, without them having to pay for it. They have paid for any part they may need, when they trusted you and bought your product. Either make your parts good enough to not break, or fix the bloody thing either by collecting it or by sending the part. Everything else is cheap excuses.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by patriotic
    Stop and think about it; Taurus has a lifetime warranty. You have a broken slide-stop and want Taurus to send you a replacement for free. OK what is to say that slide-stop they send you isn’t going into another 1911 made by someone else? Taurus has to protect themselves otherwise they will be providing free parts for anybody’s 1911. Restricted part means they have to know the broken part is one of theirs and not all parts have a serial number.
    Your principal argument is reasonable, but it doesn't explain why a customer service rep would refuse to send a part arguing that a slide stop is not a customer-replaceable component. It's one thing to refuse to send a thumb safety, which might need fitting... even if fitting is a couple of swipes with a file, because if done wrong, the end result can be a pistol that fires when it shouldn't (or doesn't fire when it should). It's quite another to say that the customer can't be trusted to remove the part that has to be removed, to separate the slide from the frame; that simply tells us that the company rep doesn't know how the pistol works.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter
    Last edited by Spyros; 27th February 2013 at 15:24.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyros
    It's quite another to say that the customer can't be trusted to remove the part that has to be removed, to separate the slide from the frame; that simply tells us that the company rep doesn't know how the pistol works.
    He already showed that by confusing the magazine catch for the slide stop.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast