Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1911 barrel length preference

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

1911 barrel length preference

Do you prefer a 4.25" or 5" barrel and why? I've got the "HOTS" for an S&W E Series,bobtail that has a 4.25" barrel. Read a few things that said it shoots as good as most 5" 1911's on the market. Just hate to second guess myself. Although, I've never turned away a pretty lady for 3/4" of anything!
    Last edited by dwnash; 24th December 2012 at 22:10.

Posts liked by others
    Was there a question of some kind in there?

I prefer Commanders. If you want a Commander-length pistol, buy a Commander-length pistol.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    For a range gun, I like a 5" 1911. For defense, 4.25" is better, but this is not to say that they will necessarily be less accurate. The shorter sight radius may make for faster sight acquisition, too, although I suppose the sights themselves are a more significant factor.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by dwnash
    Do you prefer a 4.25" or 5" barrel and why? I've got the "HOTS" for an S&W E Series,bobtail that has a 4.25" barrel. Read a few things that said it shoots as good as most 5" 1911's on the market. Just hate to second guess myself. Although, I've never turned away a pretty lady for 3/4" of anything!
    I have a Colt Officers from the late 80s. It has a3.5 inch barrel. For some reason, I shoot it better than any of my full size 1911s. Don't know why, doesn't make sense. Smaller grip, shorter sight radius. Lighter weight up front.
    My buddy has one also, and he also shoots it better than his 5" 1911s.

Posts liked by others
    If I could only have one 1911, it would be a full size. But, I usually carry an SA GI Micro-Compact. I have over 500 rnds through it and have had only one failure to feed and that was the first, and last, time I topped off. For measured, deliberate fire at fifty feet, I shoot better groups with my full size. But, the compact is so handy and points so well I have gotten spoiled by it. It is also much more concealable and lighter. At self-defense distances, the difference in accuracy is not an issue.

Posts liked by others
    My favorite for carry is a Kimber Compact with a 4" barrel. It's a well balanced gun that carrys and shoots great. Lately, I've been carrying a Remington R1S some as well. My biggest issue with carrying a full size 1911 is the damage it can do to furniture. From the leather seats in my car, to patio furniture, to the rocking chair I tend to sit in over at my mother's house, all have the full size 1911 patina furniture gets with a big pistol and sharp edges.

Posts liked by others
    I have a 3" Colt Defender and a 5" Para Tac-Five (double stack) and everything in between. If I had to pick just one for carry, it would be my Colt Combat Commander. I had to go to out-of-state for two weeks during the Thanksgiving holidays due to a death in the family and carried my Commander and 2 magazines in a Galco Miami Classic under a fleece pullover. I could have just as easily carried it in a De Santis IWB, but the Galco rig wears much better when driving.

Posts liked by others
    Most people prefer the commander size (4.25) for carry. . for range use I like others prefer a Govt full length model. . For home defense, I'ld take the govt size as well. . Never shot a short one, so can't comment.

Posts liked by others
    I have Officer's length (3.50") and 4.25" pistols. For me, they are virtually the same accuracy-wise. I carry the 4.25" because I want the additional velocity offered by the longer barrel. It might not be a lot, but it can't hurt. Also, I can get back on target quicker with the 4.25" than with the 3.50"

Posts liked by others
    Barrel length rears its head when you sit down, until then it offers no real disadvantage, I know I spend a lot of time seated, so my preference for carry is 4.25 or less. It does seem to require just a little more effort to shoot small groups with my Champion than a capable full-size, but it can outshoot some of them, so in terms of mechanical accuracy I don't think you're sacrificing anything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast