Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just dropped of my 211 at the gunsmith today

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Just dropped of my 211 at the gunsmith today

Dropped off my new to me 211 this morning. Having everything checked out, and a few odds and ends done to it. Reliability package, replacing the awful guide rod. I am having him install the C&S trigger kit while he has it apart and having him put a Brown beavertail on. Should have it back in about 45 days. Can't wait.

After I get it back I will shoot it and see if I want to change out the trigger and or the MSH. I have longer flat triggers in all my guns so not sure if I will like this short one. I would have done this first but wanted the gun checked out before I shot it.

Here's the current look.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
    Jesus Christ and the American GI.
    One died for your soul; the other for your freedom..

Posts liked by others
    I hope you keep the parts so the pistol can be restored to the original condition.

Posts liked by others
    I will have the parts he takes out plus a few others that I have laying around<G>

Posts liked by others
    Lots of parts except for the slide. Do you know what happened?

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by tekarra
    Lots of parts except for the slide. Do you know what happened?

Frame was use to do another build

Posts liked by others

randall parts

A parts kit just sold on GB, 25 people bid it up to $571. Way beyond what I thought it should have been. You might look to Caspian to put the gun together. Busted slide looks like a heat treat problem. Was there any damage to the frame?
    Tom
    Last edited by SCREWLOOSETC; 12th December 2012 at 12:05.

Posts liked by others
    SCREWLOOSETC,
    Why do you think it is a heat treating problem?
    Last edited by tekarra; 12th December 2012 at 17:24.

Posts liked by others
    Just a guess.
    I am not familiar with how Randall did the heat treat of their parts but there are a lot of sharp edges in that area which would propagate a crack. When we built guns from Randco parts the first thing we did was have them xrayed. Found no cracks or voids, One of the advantages of working in a Jet engine developement enviroment. Failiar of anykind was a catastrophy. All our heat treat was done under close temperature control in a vacuim. Resulting in a more consistant heat treat with a lower possibility of a failure.
    Remember stainless was new to Randall. A lot of our stuff would be spinning at 3000 degrees several thousand RPM.
    If it were design or material there would be a lot more failiars.
    Tom

Posts liked by others
    the Randall is back. Full reliability package, GI guide rod, Cylinder & Slide ignition kit, and a Brown beavertail. No permanent changes to the gun, so it can always go back to stock. But it feels so much better, and the trigger pull is awesome

Last edited by rjinaz85308; 12th February 2013 at 21:41.

Posts liked by others
    It looks real good rjinaz85308, have you shot it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast