Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Combat Commander .38 Super

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

1911 Combat Commander .38 Super

Hey guys, just wanted to ask a few questions on this piece i recently acquired from a friend for a very very ... very low price. actually it was free, but i gave him 1$ cause it makes a better story
    anyway i hope im not posting in wrong area / asking wrong questions, forgive me im a noob to this site.

Anyway its a 1911 Combat Commander .38
    serial numbers suggest 75-76 area.

photos. if there to big im going to take off img and jsut direct link it.

Not a bad pistol IMHO, in the third picture though the flash sets off some of the very light pitting, its not a deal breaker. but just wandering how bad that affects the condition of the gun? if i may anyone know what this would fetch ball park price?

And how do you who own or have owned a .38 super liked it?
    I have not shot it yet, waiting on my gun store to get some ammo in for me.
    Not to crazy about the price but if i decide to keep it i may just reload and save a few bucks.

Is it better to keep it orginal? i was thinking of swapping out a few minor things but thats if i decide to keep it.
    Anyway thanks for letting me join the forum and hope to stay around for awhile.

Posts liked by others
    You can remove scratches by gently rubbing them with a cloth. Douse the gun with plenty of oil.

An all-steel Commander in .38 Super should be a sweet shooter... don't let it go.

Changes? The only thing I would consider changing on it are the sights, which aren't exactly ideal. The problem is that the front is staked in place, so changing it isn't a DIY job. Maybe a longer trigger would be a good idea, if you have big hands, but give it a try as-is first.

To consider changing anything else on this pistol, you need to consult John, our forum owner, who is the undisputed owner of ALL Colt Combat Commanders (at least all the blued ones). You're only looking after this pistol for him, so you need to run any changes past him first!
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter
    Last edited by Spyros; 26th November 2012 at 03:37.

Posts liked by others
    Def going to shoot some rounds through it as it. Then ill decide what my plans are.. def like the fact cause its a odd caliber now a days. But we shall see how it goes.

Anyone know rough worth price if i do sell?

Posts liked by others
    A couple or three years ago I paid $500 for a 9mm Combat Commander in better condition than the one you have. The 9mm is also pretty rare -- Colt stopped making 9mm Commanders a long time ago. I'm not sure if the .38 Super would be worth more or less -- more interesting to some folks, less to others because ammo isn't as readily available.

I would guess you have about a $550 pistol there.

Posts liked by others
    Thinking i may just hold on to it...
    reason being everyone has a 9mm or 45 1911... this is a odd ball round so im liking it for that fact alone.

may switch out grips and a few others things but wont matter since i wont be selling it.
    not worried bout the price much now.. just gonna keep her and have fun with it.
    The lady i deal with wanted to trade me straight across for a Taurus PT1911 AR i've been eyeing. but nooo lol.

anyway thanks for the help guys. and ill post up after i shoot it.
    did buy 100rds today for 37$ nice having a discount at the store in town so that worked out.

Posts liked by others
    You could fit a 9mm barrel to the gun, for practice with cheaper ammo, but if you're keen on reloading it's probably not worth it.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    I bought a 2009 XSE LW Commander from a friend lightly shot because he got amazed at 38 Super ammo costs. Even down here in the SW it is around, but not cheap. I am amazed I can pick up 10mm ammo cheaper. One thing to check and it may be as close as the sticky in this forum is if you gun headspaces off the semi rim or the case mouth
    NRA Life Member

Posts liked by others
    Funny how prices are formed... here, with IPSC being popular, .38 Super is cheaper (and more plentyful) than .45 Auto..!
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Reloading is definitely the way to go with 38 Super. Same components as 9mm, but much easier to reload, as they are a straight wall case.

Posts liked by others
    I have a .38 Super Combat Commander from the same era.

Mine's been modified with the installation of a Clark ramped barrel, Novak sights, beavertail safety, aluminum trigger, and flat mainspring housing. I had the gun refinished in Black T and put on the Grashorn elk stag grips.
    It shoots great; I use the Georgia Arms 124 grain JHP @ 1350 fps as a carry load.
    Last edited by Safearm; 29th November 2012 at 10:07.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast