Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Colt, need help

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Old Colt, need help

I need some help. I bought this pistol a couple of years ago and was wondering if anyone could give me any info on the model. By the sn I looked it up as being early to mid 70's production. I have never saw one like this with the Ellison target sights. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

You can contact me here or at my email scott1119@windstream.net
    Last edited by scott1119; 3rd January 2013 at 18:46.

Posts liked by others
    It looks pretty much like a standard Combat Commander that has had a little work done to it. The slide stop, thumb safety, trigger, mag well funnel, bushing, grips, grip screws, and the sights are not original parts. Also looks like the mainspring housing might be checkered. The adj. sight looks like a Millet. IMO, a pretty neat little pistol overall.
    Bumper sticker: My other auto is a .45 ACP.
    Oh, YEAH!!!
    Last edited by Don P; 3rd January 2013 at 20:47.

Posts liked by others
    Definetly a "keeper"

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    That pistols begs to be restored to its original condition. It just begs for it.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    That pistols begs to be restored to its original condition. It just begs for it.
    Hey, it's what we used to do "back in the day"!

Best regards,

Walt
    Author, The M1911 Complete Assembly Guide,
    The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide, NEW The 10/22 Complete Owner's and Assembly Guide,
    The M14
    and M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guides
    and The AR-15 Complete Assembly and NEW Owner's Guides

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    I couldn't agree more. Question to OP: Can you tell if it has the original barrel? I'd guess not, with the work thats been done on it.
    Oh, YEAH!!!

Posts liked by others
    The grips are thinner than normal, so the grip screw bushings need to be added to Don P's list of non-OEM parts.

The magazine funnel looks like it is of the type that 'hooks' over the lower grip screw bushings, rather than attaching to the mainspring housing. Removing the grips will reveal what's what.

Also, is there something odd going on with the slide stop notch in the slide?
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter
    Last edited by Spyros; 4th January 2013 at 08:27.

Posts liked by others
    Old? Not if it was made after 1940! Expected to see an old colt when I went here- ha ha.
    If I was born before the gun was made the gun ain't old.
    A modified commander- beat on it as is or trick it out with more modern mods if you so choose - it looks to be in shooter condition- have fun with it

Posts liked by others
    I will put out a picture of a pre 80 series Combat Commader made in 1981 under the 2007 I carry. Yup.... trigger.... sights... etc.

NRA Life Member

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by dakota1911
    I will put out a picture of a pre 80 series Combat Commader made in 1981 under the 2007 I carry. Yup.... trigger.... sights... etc.
    All of which seem to be unchanged from original on your pistols. What point are you trying to make?
    Oh, YEAH!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast