Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rock Island CS recoil spring

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Rock Island CS recoil spring

I've got a RIA CS, just ordered a Wilson Combat 24# recoil spring for it. Does anybody have any experience with these springs, any difference in performance? My stock RIA spring seemed to be a little "mushy", still shot fine though, just thought I'd replace it.

Posts liked by others
    What are you hoping to accomplish?
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Is it for a Full size or Compact 45 or 9mm?.. Full size you don't need to go over a 18.5# spring for the 45

Posts liked by others
    Its a .45 Compact, I was hoping to accomplish better/faster cycling. My spring feels "mushy", still works fine, but havn't tested it rapid fire yet so I couldn't tell ya how well it performs that test.

Posts liked by others
    The purpose of the recoil spring is to bring the slide back in battery, after firing. It sounds like yours is doing this job. A too-weak recoil spring in a compact 1911 could fail to return the gun to battery, and that's why makers of compact 1911s put #20 or even #22 recoil springs on their guns. I don't know of anyone going as high as #24.

Also, the harder the spring, the more force you're exerting on your barrel feet. Take your gun apart and look at these two stubs of metal at the bottom of your barrel. When the slide slams forward, these two stubs crash against the slide stop cross pin, stopping the whole slide assembly from flying further forward and off the frame. It's not unheard of for them to break.

And finally, the consensus seems to be that lighter springs=less recoil. That's why IPSC shooters use 9lb springs on their compensated race guns.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by tmills87
    Its a .45 Compact, I was hoping to accomplish better/faster cycling. My spring feels "mushy", still works fine, but havn't tested it rapid fire yet so I couldn't tell ya how well it performs that test.
    In a compact with a heavier spring you will notice more recoil. I wouldn't go over a 20# spring. If your pistol needs one heavier than that I would have it checked out to see if there were other problems, binding, etc.

Posts liked by others
    First off, I wont lie, I'm no expert on 1911's. I am however pretty knowledgable in the operation and action of the pistol. I was told by a gunsmith/firearms enthusist that he always swaps out the factory 22# for a 24# in his Officer model 1911's. He's been building custom firearms, including many 1911's for 30 years. I just made the assumption that he knew what he was talking about. I guess the reason I posted here was to get some more feedback on this subject. Have appreciated all responses and opinions to this subject. Like I said, I'm no expert, so all advice and expertise I can take in is helpful.

Posts liked by others
    There's a 'Technical Issues' section in the forum, with various functional topics. Go and have a look around, there are a few articles in there, relating to recoil, recoil springs and compact 1911s.

There are several 'gurus' that recommend using the hardest recoil spring that will allow the pistol to cycle. Given that a standard-pressure (not +P) round of .45 Auto can cycle a full-size 1911 even with a 24lb recoil spring, this is truly an astonishing piece of advice. Colt, Wolff and others recommend 16lbs, a few go for 18lbs, and it's worth remembering that the original pistol in 1911 used a spring closer to 14lbs...

Harder-than-spec springs are very good at masking cycling problems in poorly-built pistols. That's a motive for their recommendation by some. This is not to say that hard springs don't have a reason for being, extended shooting sessions with very dirty guns, firing +P ammo, come to mind. But with suitable ammo, a properly sorted out, full-size 1911 will cycle all day with a 9lb recoil spring.
    M. Setter
    Last edited by Spyros; 2nd October 2012 at 12:04.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks Spyros, I'll check out some of those threads.

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmills87
    I was told by a gunsmith/firearms enthusist that he always swaps out the factory 22# for a 24# in his Officer model 1911's.
    A local gunsmith (who shall remain anonymous, nobody would know him anyway, outside Greece), has instructed a friend of mine to use 24 lbs springs, in his 5" 1911. It would greatly reduce recoil, he told my friend. I do not know if it did reduce recoil (probably not) but in a couple of weeks my friend had a broken Lissner barrel in his hands, the whole area below the tube broke cleanly off (not just the two protrusions at the lower edge). Needless to say, my friend was NOT happy.

I do not know what's the barrel length of your pistol, but even if it is a 3" one, do not go to 24 lbs. My usual advice is to use the lowest lbs with which the pistol works OK, not the highest.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast