Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 3 inch 1911s unreliable?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    you are correct jblackfish, that was what i was wondering about the origional statement about pincus seeing the guns fail in his classes. are they starting to hiccup after 400+ rds. or did they malf. on the first string of fire? makes me wonder why someone who signed up & paid good money for the class would bring a weapon that was known to malf.
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
    Thomas Jefferson

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by dyna-mike
    .................makes me wonder why someone who signed up & paid good money for the class would bring a weapon that was known to malf.
    They wouldn't, intentionally. Not everyone "hangs" on Rob Pincus' every word - remember, his "word" is his opinion and, I suspect, not necessarily always right.

Beware of "always" and "never" statements - seldom are they "always" reliable.
    John B
    What goes around comes around.
    Last edited by jblackfish; 28th August 2012 at 09:04.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish
    Not everyone "hangs" on Rob Pincus' every word - remember, his "word" is his opinion and, I suspect, not necessarily always right.
    very good point sir...i agree totally
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
    Thomas Jefferson

Posts liked by others
    Bill Wison went no shorter than 3.6" barrel length for .45 acp due to reliability problems, i remember reading a quote of him stating this.

i have a Sentinel Pro .45 acp (3.6" barrel/full size magazine) that is completely reliable, however, it's no longer produced in this caliber.......special order maybe, but not listed in the catalog.

NRA life member

Posts liked by others
    I think the smallest WC offers now in compact is a 4" barrel - BWC, CQB Compact, etc.
    John B
    What goes around comes around.

Posts liked by others
    I disagree 100%.
    I reviewed a Colt New Agent some time back for the ezine and have kept it since. I do not know how many rounds since the review I have put through it since the review but it has been flawless.
    I also know several folks who have the New Agent and Defender in which they have had no issues either.
    I believe that if the 3" gun is built right it is plenty reliable.

Posts liked by others
    I tend to agree with Hunter. My rules for avoiding problems are to keep it clean (I mean really clean...get all that build-up out and use some light weight gun grease on the slide and barrel lugs), replace the recoil spring every two or three thousand rounds, and shoot FMJ's in the micro-compacts. Oh, and don't play gunsmith unless you are one. If the pistol is well-made from a reputable manufacturer it ought to be fine. There are always lemons, but hopefully not that many.

Posts liked by others
    I've got Colt Defenders and New Agents and have had great luck with them. I also have a Para 12.45 that is completely reliable if I stay away from the plastic tipped defense rounds.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by dyna-mike
    One thing I think we need to remind ourselves (and also rob pincus) is that self defense is not an extended gun battle. if the gun starts to malfunction after 400+ rds. is that a disquailfer?...
    The thing is that we can't predict when an unreliable gun will malfunction.

Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish
    ...most of us have a number of rounds, sometimes approximate, which we require our CCW weapon to execute without malfunction BEFORE we are willing to give the OK to that weapon for carry (or to simply call it "reliable.")...
    That's true. Any gun can malfunction eventually. I'm sure going to have a lot more confidence in a gun that has averaged one malfunction is 5,000 rounds over a period of time than a gun that has averaged one malfunction in 400 rounds.

In either case, I can't predict when a malfunction will come. But with a 1-in-5,000 rate I'd have more reason to expect the gun to fire the next time I pull the trigger compared to a 1-in-400 malfunction rate.
    adapt, improvise, overcome
    "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.", Carl Sagan
    "One should shoot as quickly as one can -- but no quicker.", Jeff Cooper

Posts liked by others
    I don't have a 3" gun but I do have a Colt LWOM(3.5").The gun shortly after I bought it(used) in the late 1980s broke the recoil spring plug and bent the barrel bushing.I replaced the plug with a Ed Brown unit and a Kings barrel bushing,and a Wolff 22lbs recoil spring.The pistol held up and only one minor glitch.Sometimes the slide would not lock back on the last shot and close on an empty chamber.

Years later I learned you could use a Wolff extra power(11lbs)magazine spring for the full size 7 round mags in the 6 round Colt officers mags.These helped a lot so the mag spring could keep up with the high slide velocity of these short guns.

These little guns need a little more TLC than their 5" counterparts. I change my recoil spring every 500 rounds and firing pin spring 1k. Mag springs when they show signs of loosing their oomph to keep up.
    Last edited by rodinal220; 8th September 2012 at 18:31.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast