Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bore cleaner bad on finishes

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    interesting reading, got a question for you all, would cerakote be better? and have anyone here cerakoted there nighthawk. Also if you did, would that negate the warrenty of the gun?

Im not an owner of a nighthawk yet be will be purchasing one soon.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Costarail
    Rob, explained to me in detail what a melonite finish was and what works best (as far as cleaning)...
    I just wanted to share that with those who read this thread not to make the same mistake... Nighthawk Customer Service is truly Amazing!
    How about sharing what he said is safe to use?
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Nighthawk is saying to use gibbs cleaner/lubricant and provided a small bottle with last pistol

No, I Didn't Know My Hammer Was Cocked, Thank You!

Posts liked by others
    I used Gun Scrubber and Tetra Lube on my new Nighthawk because the labels did not say they had any of the stuff N/H said to stay away from. Something ruined the finish on my new T3T. I contacted a friend who has owned several, he keeps his guns hospital operating table clean, no damage. He uses only Simple Green followed by light gun grease on the rails & bbl....got the tip from a gunsmith at a large shooting range. N/H (Potter) said they'd charge me $200.00 to refinish mine. Now what to do??? Same stuff, Ion Bond, Black Ice????

Posts liked by others

T3T Finish Damage

I just heard back from Rob Potter who told me he refinished "Costarail's" gun because N/H had not adequately warned owners to use only Gibbs to clean their black firearms. Because I had read the brochure I would be required to pay. I re-contacted him and told him that I had been careful not to use any product that listed the trichloroethylene, ammoniated solvents, or alkaline solvents the brochure warned against. I'd be happy to use Gibbs if any of the gun shops, Wal-Mart or Bi-Mart I checked with had ever heard of it or could get it for me. He told me that they still offer Perma Kote, and would re-do my T3T in that for the same $200.00 but that it had a wear problem. He told me to call tomorrow and talk to the boss/owner (Mark) and he would do whatever Mark instructed him to do with my gun. The saga continues....
    Fortunately my wife LOVES this T3T (9mm), and approved my going into debt to purchase an identical gun (45) which I can use for a duty weapon while I am resolving my ruined finish, with or without N/H. When that is accomplished my wife will get the 9mm for her birthday.
    I tried to find out from Rob if I could safely use Tetra Gun and/or Simple Green on my N/H's but he would not commit....have to ask the boss.
    Last edited by TheRowd; 17th February 2013 at 23:07.

Posts liked by others
    Hmmmmm!!! They use a finish on a gun that can be ruined by many common gun solvents that are used to clean a gun. I won't own a Nighthawk, end of problem.

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    I am sorry but I have to vent!

This is crazy! Why is this particular version of this finish is so picky?!? I mean, isn't that the same finish used on other guns, like Glocks, Sigs etc? And if it is, why would a manufacturer choose to use such a picky finish on their guns? Especially on pistols like the NHC ones, which are rather expensive?

I understand the effort to offer a good finish, but I find it hard to believe that this is the best option.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others

Update

Rob Potter got back to me. He said that Tetra Gun and Simple Green are fine to use as cleaning agents with N/H guns. I contacted Joel Kendrick, Plant Manager for MMI-Tru Tec, manufacturer of the Nitride/Melonite finishes that N/H uses and he told me that they have "changed the process to eliminate the issue". He offered to re-do my slide at no charge if I removed the sights, and took it off the frame. My guess is that they do not have an FFL there and cannot accept the frame as a result.
    Tetra Gun owner William Smith would not guarentee their cleaners would not harm any specific product, referring me to the manufacturer (N/H).
    Rob Potter told me to call Mark (one of the co-owners of N/H). I called but Mark is out today, I was referrred to Craig, who I was informed is also a co-owner. Craig is in a meeting. Next segment should have final resolution.
    Stay tuned.

Posts liked by others

Nitride/Melonite N/H

I just got another call from Joel Kendrick, Plant Manager at Tru-Tec....they do all of N/H Melonite gun finishes according to him. He said that when they became aware of the problem they changed their process...this change occured in Nov or Dec 2012. So in their opinion the N/H's finished after that date should have all the benefits of Melonite (hard, durable, etc.) without the downside (cleaner sensitive). Still waiting to hear from Craig at N/H, he's out to lunch with Richard Heine at the moment.

Posts liked by others

Melonite T3T

Spoke with Craig at N/H. He could not have been nicer. It was the Hoppie's #9 that caused the problem. He explained that any bore cleaner is designed to clean ONLY bores, and while some finishes could deal with it short term, many could not....even the ones that were superior in every other way. Simple solution, keep whatever bbl cleaning product you are using AWAY from all exterior gun finishes. Tetra Gun which N/H used at one time works fine, but they have found that Gibbs is superior and is the premier product now in use at Fort Benning Sniper School (which Craig attended). Old formula/new formula, old process/new process, the simple solution is no bore cleaner on gun finish regardless of type will keep you out of difficulty.
    Joel also does all Ruger's work by the way, as well as at least some of N/H Melonite finishes from what he told me.
    Last edited by TheRowd; 18th February 2013 at 16:29.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast