Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bore cleaner bad on finishes

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Icon17 Bore cleaner bad on finishes

Bought a Costa Recon and after cleaning it for the first time I noticed some splotching on the slide. I called Rob and he told me exactly what I did without me getting out the whole story out. Apparently some/most "Bore Cleaners" have a citric acid in it that splotches the melonite finish... This was all new to me, but thinking back I never directly sprayed the gun with it. But it was right beside the barrel as I was cleaning and some fluid got on it. Rob told me to send it in and he would take care of it on his dime. Obviously this was a fault of mine, and he said he'll take care of it??? WOW! Rob, explained to me in detail what a melonite finish was and what works best (as far as cleaning)...
    I just wanted to share that with those who read this thread not to make the same mistake... Nighthawk Customer Service is truly Amazing!
    Last edited by Costarail; 28th June 2012 at 13:57.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for that good information. I noticed Winchester spray cleaner/degreaser has citrus in it. I won't be using anymore of that again...
    NRA Benefactor

Posts liked by others

I have the same problem

I have the same problem on my Predator slide, I clean bores with hoppe's. What do they suggest as a bore cleaner that won't sploch the melonite finish ? Thanks Chris

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Costarail
    Bought a Costa Recon and after cleaning it for the first time I noticed some splotching on the slide. I called Rob and he told me exactly what I did without me getting out the whole story out. Apparently some/most "Bore Cleaners" have a citric acid in it that splotches the melonite finish... This was all new to me, but thinking back I never directly sprayed the gun with it. But it was right beside the barrel as I was cleaning and some fluid got on it. Rob told me to send it in and he would take care of it on his dime. Obviously this was a fault of mine, and he said he'll take care of it??? WOW! Rob, explained to me in detail what a melonite finish was and what works best (as far as cleaning)...
    I just wanted to share that with those who read this thread not to make the same mistake... Nighthawk Customer Service is truly Amazing!
    Using a finish on a firearm that is damaged by "some/most" bore cleaners simply does not make sense. Was there a warning in the owners manual?

Posts liked by others
    I agree with you nutz...
    NRA Benefactor

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Costarail
    Hi Costarail, I have one on order, can't wait to get it, how do you like yours and how is the accuracy on this model? Also what did nighthawk say is safe to clean it with? Is silicone cloth and rem oil ok to use on it? Thank you in advance.

Posts liked by others
    I did some research and found that melonite contains nickel. As some already know nickel finishes and gunsolvent don't mix. Solvents will discolor and/or peel nickel. The nickel content is apparently the weak link of melonite. If a manufacter states that their gun cleaner is safe to use on a nickel finish then it should be safe for melonite. Does Nighthawk have warnings and suggestions for melonite safe cleaners listed in their owners manual?

I picture myself buying a $3,500 1911 and winding up with a gun that has a finish that looks like a bad case of the measels. My friend, you are taking this situation far better then I would.

Posts liked by others

I've left a message to see what they recommend

I looked through my supplies, I use birchwood/casey bore cleaner and their crud cutter on the underside of the slide. I also use pro shot and hoppe's, I have a small white film or run if you will coming out of the top serrations and down on one side, it's wasn't like that when I got the gun new in January. I just figured I messed up, the last 2 times I have cleaned the slide, I have scrubbed it with a soft tooth brush and soapy water. I'm anxious to hear what they recommend to use. Thanks Chris

Posts liked by others
    all

From the front page of Nighthawks new website.

"TO OUR CUSTOMERS CONCERNING YOUR FIREARM FINISH AND CARE: Nighthawk Custom uses Nitride/Melonite finish on all of our pistols that are black in color. Pistols that are colors other than black are still finished in our Perma Kote ceramic based finish.

The Black Nitride finish that we are now using is a superior finish and wears very well. You should avoid solvent immersion and prolonged ultrasonic cleaning of your firearm. DO NOT use cleaning products with Trichloroethylene, Ammoniated Solvents, or strong Alkaline Solvents. Damage to a firearm’s Nitride/Melonite finish may occur if these cautions are ignored.

We recommend Gibbs Lubricant and Cleaner and have started including one 5oz spray bottle with each new pistol shipped starting on July 1, 2012. If you need additional Gibbs lubricant cleaner you can purchase it by contacting us directly at 877-268-4867 or by contacting your local firearms dealer."

JB

Posts liked by others

Thank You JB3 !

Haven't looked at their site for a while.

Thanks Chris

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast