Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: pt1911 38 super 2.5k round report

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

pt1911 38 super 2.5k round report

I've had this gun for around 2 years now and have somewhere between 2000-3000 rounds through it. Here are my complaints:

1) The finish really isn't very good at all, in fact it's quite bad. I may have it refinished someday.

2) I think they used a 45 slide stop as the slide won't lock back to the rear w/ certain mags --mecgars for instance. Replaced slidestop w/ colt 38 super slidestop. Problem solved.

3) The mags that came w/ the gun weren't very good. In fact, I had a live round come flying out while shooting once. Measure feed lips to find out they were too wide. Sent mag back to Taurus but never got one back or heard anything from them. No great loss as I doubt the replacement was going to be any better.

4) I wish the slide to frame fit were a little tighter but to be honest it seems to be about the same other gun makers that are considered high quality.

Here's what I really like:

1) It's accurate, period.

2) It eats virtually everything and I do mean everything. I'm still waiting for a failure that isn't mag or ammo related. It even ate the 125gr sierra flat points I loaded up. I couldn't believe that one as I fully expected it to choke. I only loaded those up to get rid of the bullets. Imagine my suprise when it cycled bullets w/ a soft, flat lead tip w/o a hitch.

3) I'm still waiting for one of those infamous mim parts to break. Something tells me that if it hasn't happened by now it isn't going to.

4) The trigger is quite good. I prefer the series 70 trigger but it's good nonetheless.

Overall I love the gun. In fact, I may end up trading one of my beloved CZ's for another one so if you live near KC and you're not happy w/ your pt1911 38 super let me know.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for the review.
    I have the stainless, so finish has not been a problem. I had to replace my slide stop with the colt .38 super stop as well.
    I went to the range today and once again, left satified with the overall accuracy and reliability of the pistol.

Posts liked by others
    My experience is similar, except that I haven't had an issue with the slide stop.

Mine is also satin stainless, and even at that, the finish is probably the pistol's weak point. The polished surfaces seem a little uneven, and the matte finish on top of the slide shows a little more wear than I would have expected.

Reliability has been flawless. I'm at around 1,500 rounds, and have had no problems at all. I'm still waiting for the first malfunction, of any kind. Admittedly, I don't use the factory magazines, preferring CMC 10 round Power Mags. As mentioned in the OP, the pistol is quite accurate. If I'm having a good day, and with a decent sandbag, I get groups around 2 to 2 1/2" at 25 yards (the pistol may well be better that that, but that's about all my aging eyes can do with open sights).

The trigger is better than average, for a factory trigger, though not as crisp as a Series 70 Gold Cup. The only changes I'm considering are changing the standard sights out for Novak adjustable night sights, and having Novak tune the trigger a little.

Cheers,

Richard

Posts liked by others
    I've got one with the royal blue and gold trim, don't laugh it was on a distributor closeout. It is the model with a rail, but at the price I got it for thought I could live with it. Well, it runs flawlessly and is super accurate, has become one of my favorite 1911s and begining to like the finish. The blue on these seems to very tough, no wear signs yet, my other 2 PT 1911s 9 & 45 finishs are wearing thin. Also have a blued Springer with poor finish, but an old Colt LW Commander that the blue is still good. But I sure like the the Super.

Posts liked by others
    I picked up a NIB PT1911 stainless in .38 Super this weekend at a gun show. According to the serial number, it was made in 2010. Due to the rain, I didn't have time for a full range session, but I did a function check, shooting a full magazine of a combination of rounds: Fiocchi 129 grain FMJ and Federal 115 grain JHP. The gun ran without a hiccup, and I was able to hit the 4 inch steel target with every round at 10 yards.
    There was still grease under the slide stop and the grip panels when I stripped it down after shooting. The only thing I did to it was swap out the Taurus grips for a set of modified Pachmayr grips (Combat Special grips with the front strap removed) and put in a standard recoil spring guide and plug.
    Compared to what I have paid for my other .38 Super guns (Colt Combat Commander and Para Tac Five), this is a real bargain.

Posts liked by others
    3000 rounds now. Still waiting for a malfunction that isn't mag or ammo related. The beauty of this is, I probably only take it apart and clean it every 300 rounds or so, maybe not even that often. The finish is terrible, it just gets worse and worse. Other than that I really have no complaints. Wouldn't hesitate to carry it; I have a few times.

Posts liked by others
    Sounds like a keeper, thanks for the info.