PDA

View Full Version : Sight picture ?

slolane
22nd January 2012, 16:43
Hi guys I am new to this forum and to Kimbers and handguns. I bought a Springfield XDM 9mm 4.5 the day before Thanksgiving that was the first handgun I ever fired. I plan on getting my carry permit soon so I bought a Kimber ultra carry cdp 2 for my carry gun. I picked it up Tues. and put 150 rds thru it yesterday. The gun ran perfect on Federal 230 hardball very happy with the way the gun felt and shot.

My question is what is the proper sight picture? On the XDM I line up the three dots and the bullet goes there. On the Kimber I lined up the dots and was very low. If I put the front sight above the rear sights it was much better is this the right picture for the Kimber? I have done many searches on this site and others can't find anything on this. Thanks in advance

tonyomanny
22nd January 2012, 19:03
Could it be the shorter sight radius? Perhaps the front sight on the cdp is taller which would mean a slight difference in sight alignment.

Good luck & much joy with new friend.

Hawkmoon
22nd January 2012, 20:13
On any handgun, you line up the sights. The question then is ... where do you point the alignment? The "classic" alignment is what is called a "6 o'clock hold." This is when you line up the tops of the front and rear sights, then hold the firearm so that the top of the front sight is just touching the very bottom of the bullseye -- the 6 o'clock mark. But the intent is to have the bullets hit the center of the bullseye, which means your sights are regulated so that point of aim is below point of impact.

The problem with this is, while it works for target shooting when you always shoot the same ammunition, the distance is always the same, and the size of the bullseye is always the same, in the real world (and in "practical" (or combat action" shooting, those factors are not always constant. So, in general, today handgun sights are regulated (or are supposed to be) for "center hold," which means the bullet is supposed to hit exactly where you aim.

Here's an illustration:

http://pistol-training.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/sightimages.jpg
The one on the left is an example of 6 o'clock hold. The one in the center is "center hold" using the tops of the sights, and the one on the right is "center hold" using the dots.

If you use the tops of the sights, you would align the front and rear sights and then place the tip of the front sight on the very center of the bullseye. If you are using the white dots, you align the dots horizontally, then place the center dot so that it covers (hides) the point you want to hit.

AOCM.RET
22nd January 2012, 20:26
Good to have you on board the forum Slolane! I cannot add anything to the excellent instruction you have been given by Hawkmoon, so, I will just say :wc:

Be safe

slolane
22nd January 2012, 21:00
Thanks guys thats what I was looking for. No. 3 is what I use with my XDM and seems to work very well. using no. 3 with my Kimber put me a good 4-5 in low. I am a new shooter and need some practice but I was way off with the Kimber thats why I asked. Thanks again for the help and the welcome guys.

FerdinandII
22nd January 2012, 21:41
My suggestion is to contact Dawson Precision and get one of their Perfect Impact front sights.

From their website:

"If you purchase a set of Perfect Impact(R) sights directly from Dawson Precision (DP front and DP rear only), we guarantee that your pistol will zero. If it does not, we will give you a new front sight at the proper height free of charge so that it will. If we do not currently offer the height you need, we will make one for you as long as the requested width is already available for your pistol model."

However don't do this until you decide on the best load for your new pistol.
It could be that you like some some 185 grain +P load better than 230gr, and it might shoot to POA.

Thanks guys thats what I was looking for. No. 3 is what I use with my XDM and seems to work very well. using no. 3 with my Kimber put me a good 4-5 in low. I am a new shooter and need some practice but I was way off with the Kimber thats why I asked. Thanks again for the help and the welcome guys.

tonyomanny
22nd January 2012, 22:47
Your explanation hits it the nail on the head Hawkmoon. The one thing I've learned most is that this forum is a great resource of info.

Hawkmoon
22nd January 2012, 22:54
In that case, I think you should contact Kimber and ask them to fix the pistol.

Rick McC.
23rd January 2012, 09:56
No disrespect intended, but since you just recently starting shooting pistols, and the Ultra is only your second pistol; perhaps you just need to shoot it some more.

The shorter the barrel; the more pronounced any issues with grip or trigger control will be.

Take care,

Rick

FerdinandII
23rd January 2012, 10:02
Back in the day, it was a good thing if your pistol shot a little low, out of the box. That way, you could just file down the front sight until it was hitting POA. Nowadays, three-dot sights mean you no longer have that option.....

blue68f100
23rd January 2012, 16:37
What distance were you shooting at? 10, 15, 25yrds

Take a look in the manual, if I recall they specify what bullet and distance it's setup for. These UC 3" guns are setup for short distances. Not a long distance shooter.

slolane
23rd January 2012, 18:12
Shooting 7 yards at indoor range I am going to the range again Sat. and see how it goes. Again thanks to all

Hawkmoon
23rd January 2012, 18:23
Shooting 7 yards at indoor range I am going to the range again Sat. and see how it goes. Again thanks to all
If possible, try two things:

(1) Shoot off a rest, rather than freehand or offhand;

(2) If you know any of the other shooters, and there's someone there who shoots well, have them try it and see if it shoots equally low for them.

slolane
23rd January 2012, 18:56
If possible, try two things:

(1) Shoot off a rest, rather than freehand or offhand;

(2) If you know any of the other shooters, and there's someone there who shoots well, have them try it and see if it shoots equally low for them.
Will do, thanks again