PDA

View Full Version : ATI first 1911? info please,

revolver fan
10th June 2011, 22:23
Quick question first off, I saw on aimsurplus "New American Tactical Imports FX45 GI 1911 .45acp caliber pistol by Shooter Arms Manufacturing of the Phillipines. Features all steel parts, and solid mahogany grips. Accepts standard 1911 magazines. Includes 8rd magazine. 4.25" barrel"

Are these the new ATI 1911's with the word FX on them? what does the FX stand for?

Here is the deal, I wanted a new SR 1911, but I really don't have $700 to blow on a 1911, I just want something basic and later on down the road get a good 1911 for carrying.

I think the ATI would be okay for carrying but with a back up.

ATI makes GSG1911 also, which people love.

How well is ATI CS? Has anyone had any major problems? I havn't heard of much because the thumb switch. I know theres a famous guy on youtube did a review with over 400+ rounds in two videos. I seen these little guys for $400 and my eyes where like WOW what a deal for an 1911.

So far I have heard of great deals of success with ATI 1911's I just wonder why they are so cheap.

If I get one I want to add Pachmayer grips, which another member posted in the 1911 pictures, and I have seen these before on others 1911. I think these grips make the 1911 looks sexy.

For $400 you can't beat it, its a GI spec gun, what I really wanted, nutnfancy about it just plain old fanish 1911 fun!

Really my question is anyone have major problems with there gun? breaking/blowing up? lol because I think I will buy one.

I am on a budget so I do not think I will be shooting this gun alot, maybe max 1k round in the next 3 years while I finish college up.

revolver fan
10th June 2011, 23:34
Also RIA is better CS than ATI?

wjkuleck
11th June 2011, 07:24
I don't believe ATI "makes" anything; they are an importer & marketer (correct me if I'm wrong, folks). The 1911s come from the Philippines, the GSG1911 from Germany.

Alas, I have no personal experience, but use of the "Search" function here should bring up many threads of positive experience.

Regards,

Walt

Z11
11th June 2011, 19:47
You're correct Walt... ATI is an importer for S.A.M. (Shooters Arms Mfg) in the Philippines... and they make the ATI 1911s.
Have two of their 'basic' 1911s (GI and Military) and they are very well made, excellent shoots... and an excellent pistol/value at $400.
Have put several hundred rounds thru each... ZERO problems, a pleasure to shoot!!

http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq112/geezeepix/ATIs.jpg

revolver fan
12th June 2011, 15:53
I notice on budsgunshop they said " 70 series firing system (no firing pin safety). " what do they mean no firing pin safety -.-? If I dropped it will it go kaboom :(

flieger67
12th June 2011, 16:21
I notice on budsgunshop they said " 70 series firing system (no firing pin safety). " what do they mean no firing pin safety -.-? If I dropped it will it go kaboom :(

The Series 80 guns have a few extra parts that is supposed to completely alleviate the possibility of the pistol firing if it's dropped on its muzzle. There are varying opinions on whether the S80 is necessary and indeed some new-build 1911's don't have either the S80 or the Swartz firing pin safety system. Colt even builds some new 1911's that are S70 or no firing pin safety system instead of the S80.

I would expect that Walt and some of the other experts around here could give you more informed insight, but from what I've read, it takes a number of factors before a "no firing pin safety" pistol would discharge solely by being dropped on its muzzle. Factors such as the relative strength or weakness of the firing pin spring, the weight of the firing pin, and the height of the drop play a part. And of course, the pistol has to pretty much strike vertically on the muzzle.

revolver fan
12th June 2011, 16:54
Bud has $385 priced for RIA 1911 gi spec, 45acp. What a steal, local gun shops want $470

wjkuleck
12th June 2011, 17:28
The Series 80 guns have a few extra parts that is supposed to completely alleviate the possibility of the pistol firing if it's dropped on its muzzle. There are varying opinions on whether the S80 is necessary and indeed some new-build 1911's don't have either the S80 or the Swartz firing pin safety system. Colt even builds some new 1911's that are S70 or no firing pin safety system instead of the S80.

I would expect that Walt and some of the other experts around here could give you more informed insight, but from what I've read, it takes a number of factors before a "no firing pin safety" pistol would discharge solely by being dropped on its muzzle. Factors such as the relative strength or weakness of the firing pin spring, the weight of the firing pin, and the height of the drop play a part. And of course, the pistol has to pretty much strike vertically on the muzzle.
Generally, the use of a Ti firing pin and a heavy firing pin spring is the accepted alternative to a mechanical firing pin safety. In another thread Drake Oldham describes our team's drop testing, which is detailed in The M1911 Complete Assembly Guide. There you will see the conditions under which the pistol discharged.

Suffice it to say that 1) if a pistol has a firing pin safety I'll make sure it's working properly and appreciate it, and 2) if there's no firing pin safety, install a Ti firing pin & HD spring. A pistol without a mechanical FPS will under certain conditions fire when dropped. A pistol with a mechanical FPS will never go off unintentionally so long as the FPS is working properly.

In other words, if the pistol has a mechanical FPS, fine. I won't turn my nose up at it. If it doesn't, but has a Ti firing pin & HD spring, I won't worry much about it.

Regards,

Walt

se3388
16th June 2011, 08:40
I have both an ATI Titan (Stainless) and a 4.25 inch ATI GI and love both of them. They have been very reliable and I carry the 4.25 inch everyday. I also have an ATI GSG 22 lr 1911 and it is a ball to shoot. All three pistols are very accurate. The 3 inch really surprised me with it's accuracy.

Steve E..................

isuzu
26th June 2011, 13:36
You're correct Walt... ATI is an importer for S.A.M. (Shooters Arms Mfg) in the Philippines... and they make the ATI 1911s.
Have two of their 'basic' 1911s (GI and Military) and they are very well made, excellent shoots... and an excellent pistol/value at $400.
Have put several hundred rounds thru each... ZERO problems, a pleasure to shoot!!

http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq112/geezeepix/ATIs.jpg

If you don't mind me asking, what barrel twist do these pistols have. I believe Armscor/RIA have right hand barrel twist. How well do they shoot?

Aiden528
1st July 2011, 10:51
I just found an ATI 4.25" GI at a new local shop I had not been in before and was pretty impressed. I've been looking for a commander sized pistol for my first 1911, but I'd prefer to find one in 9mm. There have been rumors that Armscor will eventually be importing one but they haven't answered the emails I've sent previously.

For the price I'm strongly considering picking up the Commander. With the money I'd save I suppose I could afford some .45 ammo and maybe an extended safety as the GI lever is a little small for me. Those GI rear sights are horrible as well but again lower pricing means fewer options, and if it still shoots as well as I've heard its well worth the money.

I've also be checking the MetroArms forum and hearing good things about them as well. Unfortunately the two shops I prefer are not stocking them as of now and I'd like to handle one before putting my money down.

Aiden528
1st July 2011, 10:55
One question as I can't tell from the ATI website; Is the Titan built on a full size frame, or the shortened officers frame? I like the shorter barrel lengths but not the compact frames.

Ric4509
2nd July 2011, 08:28
The ATI (SAM) FX GI-E and the American Classic (MetroArms) commander are both great 1911s for the price, performance, fit and finish etc. I have both of 'em and love them. I also have the American Classic full size and is also a great pistol.

SnowBlaZeR2
2nd July 2011, 22:12
The ATI (SAM) FX GI-E and the American Classic (MetroArms) commander are both great 1911s for the price, performance, fit and finish etc. I have both of 'em and love them. I also have the American Classic full size and is also a great pistol.

These are two that I am considering while I wait for my Wilson, so if you don't mind I have a few question for you. First, do you have any pictures of both together? I'll take as many as I can get. :) Would you trust either as a carry weapon, and either over the other? Which finish and fit do you think is better? Have you had any issues with the ejection on the ATI due to the port not being lowered and flared? Last question, in Hickok45's review of the ATI, he mentioned it was shooting low. Any issues on yours? I think that's enough for now. Thanks in advance.

se3388
3rd July 2011, 18:18
Aiden528,

The Titan frame measures approx. .44 shorter than the Govt. frame. So I guess it's roughly 1/2 inch shorter. I believe it is about the same size as the Colt Defender frame as it's magazines fit flush in my Titan. I have both the Stainless Titan (three inch) and a GI Model (4.25 inch) and absolutely love them. I plan on buying the Govt. Model (Five inch) from ATI shortly. The most fun one to shoot is my GSG 22 lr 1911. My Stainless Titan is my daily carry weapon.

Steve E............

Ric4509
5th July 2011, 04:12
First, do you have any pictures of both together? I'll take as many as I can get. :) Would you trust either as a carry weapon, and either over the other? Which finish and fit do you think is better? Have you had any issues with the ejection on the ATI due to the port not being lowered and flared? Last question, in Hickok45's review of the ATI, he mentioned it was shooting low. Any issues on yours? I think that's enough for now. Thanks in advance.

I'll take a pic of both and post. I trust both as a carry weapon. Both finish and fit a very good and I have not had any problems with the ATI's ejection port.

SnowBlaZeR2
5th July 2011, 14:58
I'll take a pic of both and post. I trust both as a carry weapon. Both finish and fit a very good and I have not had any problems with the ATI's ejection port.

Sounds great. Thanks again.

If you had to pick between the two, which would you take? I'm leaning to the ATI mainly on looks alone.

Ric4509
8th July 2011, 04:01
My ATI and American Classic 4.25"

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b227/Ric4509/DSC00869-2.jpg

Ric4509
8th July 2011, 04:08
Sounds great. Thanks again.

If you had to pick between the two, which would you take? I'm leaning to the ATI mainly on looks alone.

I like them both. I shoot the ATI more to find out when it will give me a malfunction. It's now 1,200 rds and still zero malfunction. I have shot around 400 rds through the American Classic commander and also has not malfunctioned. Zero! Just to let you know.

SnowBlaZeR2
8th July 2011, 14:15
I like them both. I shoot the ATI more to find out when it will give me a malfunction. It's now 1,200 rds and still zero malfunction. I have shot around 400 rds through the American Classic commander and also has not malfunctioned. Zero! Just to let you know.

Thanks for the pictures. I thought they would help make the decision easier, but it didn't. I think I'll just get both. :)

Thanks again for the input.

snuffy19608
9th July 2011, 07:02
I picked up a GI-Enhanced a couple days ago, haven't shot it yet but impressed with fit/finish.Frame/slide fit is about the best I've ever seen, only issue so far is my ejector was missing the pin. Called ATI, rep took my info, it's in the mail.

wjkuleck
9th July 2011, 07:35
—snip—

my ejector was missing the pin.

—snip—

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How is that even possible :confused: ?

Regards,

Walt

Ric4509
9th July 2011, 09:42
SAM's QC issue. Is it missing one pin or 2?

Ric4509
9th July 2011, 09:44
Re: Metro Arms American Classic II and Commander - I'm not sure if it's my pistols but if I replace the trigger the hammer follows and rests on half cock. The ATI as you will notice in the picture I have changed the trigger to a composite (Kimber's old trigger). And it works with no issues. Just a heads up in case you will tinker with the American Classic Commander if you decide to get one.

snuffy19608
9th July 2011, 12:27
Ok, cancel the pin issue, I thought it needed a solid pin, was just at the gunshop and they told me it's probably a roll pin. Chalk it up to being new I guess.

John
9th July 2011, 14:37
SAM's QC issue. Is it missing one pin or 2?

Ahem.... Are there two pins holding the ejector in place?

snuffy19608
10th July 2011, 07:47
One as far as I can tell.

isuzu
10th July 2011, 23:46
I just found an ATI 4.25" GI at a new local shop I had not been in before and was pretty impressed. I've been looking for a commander sized pistol for my first 1911, but I'd prefer to find one in 9mm. There have been rumors that Armscor will eventually be importing one but they haven't answered the emails I've sent previously.

For the price I'm strongly considering picking up the Commander. With the money I'd save I suppose I could afford some .45 ammo and maybe an extended safety as the GI lever is a little small for me. Those GI rear sights are horrible as well but again lower pricing means fewer options, and if it still shoots as well as I've heard its well worth the money.

I've also be checking the MetroArms forum and hearing good things about them as well. Unfortunately the two shops I prefer are not stocking them as of now and I'd like to handle one before putting my money down.

Armscor produces a commander-sized 1911 they call MS (for Mid Size). They offer this type of pistol in .45 ACP and 9mm. Feedback from owners have been positive. I've been requesting Willie Lagundino of Armscor to include an MS in .38 Super. He said they will look into it.