PDA

View Full Version : Another PT1911 Rookie

kbmgm
29th December 2009, 17:45
I traded for a Taurus PT1911B last week, and just got to shoot it today. I'm a law enforcement officer, and the department firearms instructor, so I have plenty of opportunities to shoot weapons. This was, however, the very first time I have ever shot a 1911 of any sort. And WOW! What have I been missing? I don't really know how the Taurus stacks up against the rest, but I was very impressed. With my first magazine, I was able to maintain about a quarter-size group from the 15 yard line - much more accurate than my Glock. I loved the trigger pull!

I do have a couple questions for you Taurus gurus, though. I want to either strip and polish the trigger, hammer, barrel bushing, mag release, grip safety, and ambi safety provided they're made from aluminum or stainless steel, or have them nickel plated if they're made from carbon steel. So, my question is what are they made from, and has anybody else attempted this? Thanks for your opinions and advice...

tony315
29th December 2009, 18:28
you would be better off having them plated.

http://www.fordsguns.com/

Tennessee Tom
29th December 2009, 20:12
I traded for a Taurus PT1911B last week, and just got to shoot it today. I'm a law enforcement officer, and the department firearms instructor, so I have plenty of opportunities to shoot weapons. This was, however, the very first time I have ever shot a 1911 of any sort. And WOW! What have I been missing? I don't really know how the Taurus stacks up against the rest, but I was very impressed. With my first magazine, I was able to maintain about a quarter-size group from the 15 yard line - much more accurate than my Glock. I loved the trigger pull!

I do have a couple questions for you Taurus gurus, though. I want to either strip and polish the trigger, hammer, barrel bushing, mag release, grip safety, and ambi safety provided they're made from aluminum or stainless steel, or have them nickel plated if they're made from carbon steel. So, my question is what are they made from, and has anybody else attempted this? Thanks for your opinions and advice...
:wc:
;) Good to have you aboard.......Lots of help here.......Enjoy the Taurus.....Tom

Macktheknife
30th December 2009, 10:24
T T, good to have you aboard. Just got my first 1911 11/10/09 and said the same thing ("WOW! What have I been missing?"). I'm going to polish mine up and get diffetent grips. The fun is just beginning.

chuntaro
30th December 2009, 19:17
What caliber did you get?

Macktheknife
30th December 2009, 19:56
I got a .45 acp. Shooting my own reloads 230 RN Plated ,3.6 Clays, 1.124 OAL. I have over 2000 rounds on it, shot it in 7 steel matches and 6 USPSA matches. Used to shoot only Glocks. Traded a G35 & G17 to get my current set up, Pt1911 SS ($679), BladeTeck Holster, Bladeteck Quad Mag pouch, 2 Uncle Mike double pouches, 3 Wilson Combat 47DE Mags, 2 Wilson Combat Extreme Tactical Mags. Punishing my new gun. Big match coming up end of Jan. After that I'm going to put some time into making look great.

Sorry about getting carried away, but I cant help it, this gun is great.

jca1
31st December 2009, 09:58
All of those parts on the PT1911 are MIM of some sort so I would opt to replace them with stainless parts from another supplier rather than plate or coat them.

kbmgm
31st December 2009, 15:49
What caliber did you get?

I got the .45.

chuntaro
5th January 2010, 15:27
I love the ugly look of my blue (if you could call it that) .38 super. If you guys want sex appeal why not add a stainless to the stable.

ericokc
7th January 2010, 19:08
KB,
Right off the bat, I'd highly recommend replacing the safety with an aftermarket one.
Please search the forums to see why.

tony315
7th January 2010, 21:11
KB,
Right off the bat, I'd highly recommend replacing the safety with an aftermarket one.
Please search the forums to see why.

I am not replacing anything on mine until it does break..and we will see when that is, 1200 rnds and counting..

ericokc
7th January 2010, 22:36
I am not replacing anything on mine until it does break..and we will see when that is, 1200 rnds and counting..

That's what I said...and I had more rounds through mine than that. :)

chuntaro
8th January 2010, 05:26
I am going to run my stock safety to death for grins. I have installed two when somebody had the files to loan me. The swenson type is a fairly flimsy arrangement to me and if improperly handled during installation will weaken in the ambi type. I like the one that starts with m that colt used to use. Very sturdy and grip clearance is of no concern.