PDA

View Full Version : Ramped vs. Non-Ramped Barrels

zenbiker
21st December 2009, 11:44
Can one of the more knowledgeable people here tell me the advantages/disadvantages of a ramped vs. a non-ramped barrel on a 1911?
Just looking, it would seem that the ramp eliminates the tiny gap between the frame ramp and the barrel I don't know whether this has any actual significance.

Tom in Ohio
21st December 2009, 16:57
I think that the consensus, at least on this site, is that a standard, non-ramped barrel is best for .45 ACP while the ramped barrels are better suited for the high pressure rounds like .38 Super and .40 S&W.

Cutting the frame for the ramp necessarily weakens the frame. How much this actually degrades long-term durability, I'm not sure.

The ramped barrels offer better chamber support, hence there use in the higher pressure loadings. The .45 ACP, in standard loadings, doesn't need it.

auto45
23rd December 2009, 06:14
As I've "read" from the "likes" of Tuner, George from EGW and the majority of 1911 "pistolsmiths", a ramped barrel in ACP is not recommended.

The frame feed ramp/barrel ramp in that design is too "steep". It can be made to be as reliable as the traditional I "read".

I suspect the only reason certain producers use them like Para and STI is to save manufacturing costs...meaning 1 frame cut for all calibers.

John
23rd December 2009, 07:26
The step between the frame ramp and the barrel ramp is necessary for the proper feeding of the pistol.

With that out of the way, a ramped barrel is usually recommended for high-pressure rounds, where the crescent-shaped part of the case that is left unsupported by a standard barrel is reduced and doesn't cause bulged cases. Some manufacturers use them in all calibers, I guess it's a cost-saving measure, as has been mentioned.