PDA

View Full Version : Best value 1911 carry/shooter

Shotgun
28th July 2009, 09:27
This maybe a difficult question to ask in order to get a difficult answer but here it goes. What would be the best value, of new in box, standard size, 1911 pattern pistol for shooting and carry? By best value I mean good utility for a reasonable price. I know some would say nothing less than Colt and others may say Springfield Armory. Some may say Rock Island. The pistol should be very serviceable right of out the box with maybe a few hundred rounds just to verify it. I know opinions will vary.

garrettwc
28th July 2009, 09:45
Value is a relative term, and is somewhat in the eye of the beholder. For some value is "What is the cheapest I can get by with and still work?" for others price is no object as long as their perceived value (due to features, or a particular brand name) is equal to the price.

From my perspective as a working stiff, the answer is what gun will I trust my life to, that I don't have to work two jobs to pay for? If we are limiting the discussion to 1911s, there are three. I list them below in order of price (highest to lowest).

1. New Colt Government Model Series 80
2. Used Colt Government Model (after a proper inspection)
3. New Springfield Armory Mil-Spec

Rich-D
28th July 2009, 10:53
In production guns, Colt in my opinion has the best value. And it is undisputed that Colt retains that value better than any other production gun.

First Choice: Series 70
Second Choice: Any Colt

Cheapest in dollars, yet sturdy in function. I choose Armscor/RIA

First Choice: RIA Tactical

Best of Luck!
Rich

Andrewh
28th July 2009, 12:21
STI spartan, right at 600 bucks. Has all the features plus match grade parts.

shadow1
28th July 2009, 17:12
I agree with a 70 Series Colt. I like my Springfields and my Kimbers but for an out of the box, plain Government model, I'd choose Colt. And for less expensive, I too like my RIA. It's been as reliable as my other 1911's after an extractor adjustment.

CDogg
28th July 2009, 17:35
springfield milspec bud. Colts are great as most have said but I dont know of any particular model for which i can give an advice on that falls under your criteria

Longslide
18th August 2009, 00:41
This maybe a difficult question to ask in order to get a difficult answer but here it goes. What would be the best value, of new in box, standard size, 1911 pattern pistol for shooting and carry? By best value I mean good utility for a reasonable price. I know some would say nothing less than Colt and others may say Springfield Armory. Some may say Rock Island. The pistol should be very serviceable right of out the box with maybe a few hundred rounds just to verify it. I know opinions will vary.
Man - you ask a TUFF QUESTION! Well I will probably get take a beating for this post!!! In my HUMBLE opinion here would be my choices if I had to pick from three. I am assuming you want 5inch and or 4inch

SIG XO - same pistol as any GSR - match barrel - forged slide/frame-good service - and very very accurate. you can find them at and under $700.

Colt - what ever is your fancy / Springfield Parkerized loaded - best value in the SA lineup.

ROCK ISLAND MATCH OR STI SPARTAN - Match SS chrome lined barrel - hand fitted slide and frame - cast frame/extruded slide - reliable and accurate enough! now they come with adjustable target sights - for a few bucks "Harrison" makes a fited sight to replace the bomar cut sights that is awesome.

dakota1911
23rd August 2009, 00:06
For the last two years I have been carrying a Colt Commander in blue. Cost me about $750 new. A couple of failures to feed in the first 50 rounds. Since then no problems after over 2K rounds. For a full size (for carry), I would probably pick a new 70s Colt.

beltfed74
23rd August 2009, 11:54
Personally I think Baer gives the best value.

If thats out of line than the new Colt Combat Elite looks like the best deal going around a grand or so. I see guys buying them for 900 bucks or so Im told. The SA TRP used to be the best deal at one time but after the last two price increases they dont seem to be the bargain, atleast to me, anymore.

Just my opinion, take it for what thats worth.

OD*
23rd August 2009, 12:01
In production guns, Colt in my opinion has the best value. And it is undisputed that Colt retains that value better than any other production gun.

First Choice: Series 70
Second Choice: Any Colt

Cheapest in dollars, yet sturdy in function. I choose Armscor/RIA

First Choice: RIA Tactical

Best of Luck!
Rich
Agree with that 100%.

af22raptor
23rd August 2009, 22:42
The Term best value is not an easy thing to give a proper definition but here it goes.

If you are looking for carry 1911 that is fully equipt and you have around 800 dollars the Springfield Armory Parkerized Loaded, because it has night sights and most of the add ons that most people normally want done to a 1911.

My next suggestion if 800 is too high then might want to consider a Rock Island Tactical, cause everyone that I have seen have nicely fitted frames and slides and the barrel bushing are tight to the slide for under 500.

I have read some nice thing about the American Classic II 1911 its a pistol made in Manilla PI and they seem to be a very nice value for under 400 dollars.

I personally own the SA Loaded Parkerized and after a shaky start it turn out to be a very accurate and reliable pistol that I carry 65 percent of the time depending on what I am wearing and where I am going.

Hope this helps.

dcunited
31st August 2009, 22:07
I carry a Springfield GI Champion. It is a good 1911A1 clone, basic but works.