PDA

View Full Version : Kimber Pro CDP II cycling short

Ric4509
29th August 2005, 07:06
I have a Kimber Pro CDP II that I bought NIB and has now 600 rds fired through it. Can someone tell me why the pistol would occassionally not back in battery? It'll fall short of about a quarter of an inch that I have to hit the back of the slide for it to go forward. It does not affect the feeding but of course will not fire because it's not in full battery. The spent shell will also occassionally hit me in the forehead or the right side of my ear protection gear. I've double checked the way I hold the pistol and definitely not me. Would appreciate some input on this folks. Thanks.

Rick

primersinmyshoe
29th August 2005, 10:33
Rick, I have the same gun. Mine has well over 2000 rounds through it and has not had a failure to return to battery.

What ammo are you using? Have you cleaned and lubed the gun?

Ric4509
29th August 2005, 13:09
I use 230 grain WWB. I also have to observe when I use S&B ammo. And yes, the pistol is cleaned and lubed(BreakFree)after every 100 rds of shooting session. Could the recoil spring have anything to do with it? I doubt it being a new pistol.

primersinmyshoe
29th August 2005, 13:21
If it were my gun, I'd take the slide off, remove the recoil spring assembly and barrel. Then put the slide back on the frame and slowly move the slide along the frame and see if there is a high spot encountered, especially when the slide is almost at it's rearmost travel. If there is a high spot, some polishing compound and lots of elbow grease might smooth it out. Or, you could send it back to Kimber, which would be my last resort.

Dean Hoffmann
29th August 2005, 23:26
I realize this is a hackneyed question, but what kind of mags are you using? The only experience I've had with this phenomenon was with a stock Kimber mag that apparently came from the factory with a weak spring. My SA Champion would do this occasionally, even with Wilson Combat mags, but I have had no problems since I switched to Novak mags. I'm relatively new to 1911s, but it seems to me that timing is everything in these lovely beasts, and the wrong mag can throw the whole equation off.

John
30th August 2005, 01:17
Give the pistol some more time to "break-in". Some come with tight chambers, but it might be that the gun is still a bit tight.

Also, try Dean's advise, try another magazine.

Bearhound
30th August 2005, 14:25
Ok, I had the same problem, with the same make/model. I fixed it with a Wolf recoil spring that is made for that exact problem. gunsprings.com.

Ric4509
30th August 2005, 15:32
I'll try other mags and if it's still doing it I'd go for Bearhound's. I'm on vakay this week anyway so off to the range tomorrow. Pro CDP II, Dan Wesson Dave Pruitt, and my custom Officers/Full size 1991A1 slide in action.

Thanks guys.

Rick

Ric4509
31st August 2005, 15:30
Just got back from the range. The Pro CDP II gave me 3 problems. 1) It didn't return to full battery only once out of 45 rds of WWB. 2) Slide locked once with 2 rds in the mag and 3) Ejected shells gave me 2 ' cuts in my forehead. One cut just above my right eyebrow and the other cut is in the middle of my forehead. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong here? I get hit with an empty shell every now and then when I shoot my ProCarry, ProCDP, and Compact Aluminum. I am getting annoyed and frustrated. When I said out of 45 rds, that means I stopped firing the ProCDP and switched to my Norinco and shot 105 rds. Would appreciate your thoughts, gentlemen.

Ric4509
31st August 2005, 15:34
On my way home, I've been thinking to trade the ProCDP. With what? This is what happens when I get frustrated.

primersinmyshoe
31st August 2005, 17:29
Wait - Don't trade it just yet. Perhaps Bearhound is on to something. Try a different recoil spring. It might be just a little stronger to reduce the force of the ejected case.

Ric4509
31st August 2005, 18:56
I guess you're right, primersinmyshoe. I forgot to bring my ball cap this morning when I went to the indoor range. I love the Pro CDP. It just got so aggravating when I get hit with the brass in my forehead.

primersinmyshoe
31st August 2005, 19:10
I trust my Pro CDP so much that it's my main carry gun. You just have to feed it what it wants (mine likes Rem. Golden Sabers and Federal Hydra-Shoks), and get it sprung just right. You must admit, this gun sure feels smooth, handles quick, and easy to carry.

You'll never see me at the range without a ball cap pulled down, and wearing eye protection. Once I had an empty hit the wall of the shooting stall and bounce behind my glasses. I was OK but it scared the heck out of me - that's why I pull the cap down a little. The same things goes for wearing a t-shirt with a snug collar - stops the empties from going down shirt.

I'm hoping that a new spring will help your gun. Please try it and let us know.

Dean Hoffmann
31st August 2005, 22:43
Ric4509: My wife's Pro CDP II does not like WinWhite either. Like primerinmyshoe said, it digests Golden Sabers and Hydrashoks with ease. Our standard range ammo is Rem. 230gr FMJ for the Kimbers. In the same breath let me say that my SA is a finicky eater and doesn't like the Rem., but does well on Speer and WinWhite. Go figure. The only brand that they have all "eaten" is some surplus WW II ammo from UMC. My 5 inch CDP will eat anything. Don't trade it in yet, just tinker with the diet a bit, and try a change of mags, they seem to be the centerpiece in the 1911 feed equation.

Ric4509
1st September 2005, 07:54
Thanks for your encouragement, Dean and primersinmyshoe. I just cleaned her last night. What I'll do is continue to put more rounds in her and will take it from there.

Pappy
4th September 2005, 19:06
I have a Kimber Pro CDP II that I bought NIB and has now 600 rds fired through it. Can someone tell me why the pistol would occassionally not back in battery? It'll fall short of about a quarter of an inch that I have to hit the back of the slide for it to go forward. It does not affect the feeding but of course will not fire because it's not in full battery. The spent shell will also occassionally hit me in the forehead or the right side of my ear protection gear. I've double checked the way I hold the pistol and definitely not me. Would appreciate some input on this folks. Thanks.

Rick

Rick, have you tried slingshoting the slide? That is, pull the slide fully to the rear and let her fly. Using the slide lock may not give the slide full momentum to return to battery. BTW, using the slide lock may cause undue wear on the slide notch preventing last shot lock back. Pappy

Ric4509
4th September 2005, 19:20
Thanks, Pappy. That's how I load my pistols by using the slingshot method. I don't use the slide stop release to load a fresh round. I'll shoot it again this coming Saturday and should remember to bring my ball cap to prevent cuts in my forehead.

chuckshoun
4th September 2005, 19:47
Take out that little plastic thing that everybody thinks will save your gun, and shoot it the way it was designed to shoot. Use the correct spring the manufacturer recommends, and change them per the manufacturer's recommendations. Buffers are a cop-out that are supposed to enhance the performance of the pistol. They don't, they just take your money for what they tell you will make your pistol function better, and it doesn't. Springs are the things that need to be addressed, not buffers.

Ric4509
4th September 2005, 21:17
chuckshoun: there is no shok-buff in a Kimber Pro CDP. Buffers can save a commander size - 4-1/4" bbl's aluminum frame or any alloy frame 1911. My Colt Officers is using a King's Officer size full length guide rod with a buffer in it and the gun is flawless. Thanks for your advise though.

Rick

lilgigolo
10th September 2005, 05:11
I just bought one myself! The same exact thing is happening. I've tried 4 different brands of ammo and 3 different mags. I shot about 150 rds with just about every other one not cycling to full battery. I'm thinking of polishing the inside of chamber. Maybe the it's too tight.

Pappy
10th September 2005, 16:55
I just bought one myself! The same exact thing is happening. I've tried 4 different brands of ammo and 3 different mags. I shot about 150 rds with just about every other one not cycling to full battery. I'm thinking of polishing the inside of chamber. Maybe the it's too tight.
Take the barrel out and see if a round will fall in. Push on it , then see if it comes out easily. There should no binding. Do not do any polishing!! Carefully read the previous threads, all have good advice. Lube, shoot, clean, lube, shoot etc for 500 - 600 rounds. Then if there are problems, discuss with your dealer and/or Kimber. Pappy

lilgigolo
12th September 2005, 04:02
The binding is being caused by the grip safety pin coming straight up from the frame to the slide. If the grip safety is not pressed the slide will cycle completely and is grip safety is pressed, slide will hang up about 1/4" before closing. Is this normal?

Tombeis
16th September 2005, 03:28
I have had the same experiance with three Kimbers and WWB ammo. With other more expensive ammo, no problem.

What I think is the WWB ammo has an occasional round that the casing is out of spec. Maybe a thousands or so oversize so when the round chambers it is tight and you experiance failure to reach battery. Since I shoot the WWB range only I will tolerate this problem. For carry I load the more expensive round.