PDA

View Full Version : is it safe to dry fire?

LucasM
17th July 2008, 13:33
some people have told me that it will damage my rock island gi. what say the experts?

doctruptwn
17th July 2008, 14:26
Lucas, I'm no expert, But a dry fire rarely is OK I certainly wouldn't make a practice of it, as it is hard on any 1911 not just the Rock. This also goes for letting the slide slam forward on an empty chamber.

LVSHOOTER
17th July 2008, 14:43
I dry fire all of my 1911's. It's a major part of my training.

Shooter_454
17th July 2008, 14:47
I dry fire my 1911's never had a prob with any of them.

Mgonz45
17th July 2008, 14:54
I dry fire my 1911's never had a prob with any of them.
Been dry firing near 20 years for training with no probs.

Just a quick point: "dont dry fire" is a belief started in the day of percussion arms when you did not want to drop a hammer directly on a niplle without a cap because it would damage it. Just an old practice that has stuck in peoples heads for some reason.

doctruptwn
17th July 2008, 15:23
Hey, I said I wasn't an expert, and this is why. Good information to know. Thanks guys.

Alcoy
17th July 2008, 15:45
I dry fire a lot without any problems from it. I agree with drtruptwn not to slam on on empty chamber. I also always chamber a round from the magazine.

Enjoy the forum. I am learning a lot from it.

tonka
17th July 2008, 18:55
Chambering a round from the magazine will keep you from putting too much stress on the extractor (the hook won't have to snap over the cartridge rim.) Dry firing the 1911 is OK; there are firearms that shouldn't be dry-fired, notably a lot of rimfires, but most centerfire arms really don't suffer from it. I still don't dry fire my hunting rifles, and generally use snap caps in my RIA GI model just 'cuz I can't help myself.

Years ago I was told that firing pins would "crystallize" if subjected to too much dry firing. I have NEVER found a 'smith who could tell what that means, and I have never replaced a firing pin in all my years of shooting. I guess dry firing your 1911 will eventually have an effect on the FP spring, but those are both easy and cheap to replace, and SHOULD be replaced as a matter of normal maintenance.

LucasM
17th July 2008, 20:07
Thank you now i can dry fire, in sound mind

MAC79912
17th July 2008, 21:12
;) Dry firing mine right now.

Auto Mag
17th July 2008, 21:39
I dry fire all of my 1911's. It's a major part of my training.

If Ray does it then it must be alright!!! :lm: :D

Litehart
17th July 2008, 22:21
For what it's worth, the owner's manual for my new Kimber Gold Match II instructs the user to slowly and carefully slide the slide forward when unloaded and pull the trigger to lower the hammer rather than slowly lower the hammer. Somewhere I recall reading that slowly lowering the hammer can lead to sear damage.

But take what I say with a grain . . . I just got into this fascinating handgun activity! :D

Cody302
17th July 2008, 23:39
I dry-fire their pistols too!!!!http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg15/Cody38Super/z7shysterical.gif

KCboy
19th July 2008, 04:54
to be safe, dryfire with a dummy round, then that solves your concerns...stay safe.

marshaul
19th July 2008, 05:55
;) Dry firing mine right now.

I do all day! :)

Mister Tony
20th July 2008, 19:17
The only firing pin I had break while dry firing was in my CZ-52, but then again I was trying to break it because I had a new Stainless Steel firing pin on hand to replace it with. I have never had a 1911 break a firing pin from dry firing, even my GI issue in the Army. But Just in case and to check to make sure everything is working from the Clip to ejection I load a couple of Snap Caps.

LVSHOOTER
21st July 2008, 15:39
All the pros dryfire their 1911's as much or more than live fire. Firearms are perishable devices. If you use them enough they will wear out and break. It's up to the operator to monitor the condition of their equipment. Dryfire, dryfire, dryfire, dryfire. ;)

Dagmaar
25th July 2008, 16:06
If you are worried you can always use snap caps. A quick google yielded the following:
http://www.midwayusa.com/esearch.exe/search?search_keywords=snap+cap&category_selector=all_products&Click+to+Begin+Search.x=0&Click+to+Begin+Search.y=0&Click+to+Begin+Search=Search_Button

BillyD
25th July 2008, 20:00
Worst case scenario replace Firing pin ($10.00) and/or Firing pin stop ($5.00) after thousands of dry fires

Personally I don't know of anyone who has ever harmed a 1911 by dry firing. Springfield even recommend for new shooters to "Practice without live ammunition" in there owners manual, with no mention of snap caps.

This isn't true with .22 Conversion kits, don't dry fire any rim fire gun

BillyD

tacticalacp
26th July 2008, 05:35
Hey, I said I wasn't an expert, and this is why. Good information to know. Thanks guys.
Doc, just dont dry fire that Cz-52 it will break the factory FP!!

Tac :D :D :D

senior
26th July 2008, 16:40
Wow, just been a new menber a couple of min. and already learned valuable info concerning dry firing! That was one question i intended to ask, as i just purchased a RIA compact tactical and was concerned about it, THANKS