PDA

View Full Version : Accidental Discharge

SAN JOSE
11th January 2008, 06:31
Will a loaded 1911 discharge if accidentally dropped? This may sound silly, but I have witnessed a firearm accidentally dropped [about chest high] that did. The firearm involved wasn't actually a 1911...it was a .38 special snubby, but it was constructed with a floating pin ala 1911 and the hammer makes contact with the pin only when the trigger is pressed all the way down. When the trigger is released, the hammer pivots upward and no longer make contact with the pin.

The gun in question here discharged when it hit the floor barrel first...pointing right down. Could it be possible that with the impact and sudden stop, the floating pin moved on its own when the spring holding it couldn't retain it and discharge the round in the chamber? Can this happen to a 1911?

Rio Vista Slim
11th January 2008, 07:39
First off, I sincerely hope no one was injured when the revolver discharged.

There have been numerous discussions about this very subject, not only in this forum, but in other forums, magazine articles, and a number of books. In short, the answer to your question is YES. However, several factors have to come into play to allow a spring loaded firing pin to move forward with enough inertia to strike the primer of a cartridge with sufficient force to ignite the powder. This is a major factor involved in the introduction of the various firing pin safeties on the market today.

If you'll do a "SEARCH" on this subject, you'll find several threads that discuss the factors and issues involved.

OD*
11th January 2008, 07:42
Technically, the 1911 doesn't have a floating firing pin like the AR-15/M16, Winchester 94 & 92s etc., they have a firing pin spring.

MacEntyre
11th January 2008, 08:03
In short, the answer to your question is YES.
No one can dispute that it is possible. It might be unlikely, but it is possible.

However, I have looked high and low, and can find no documented case where a 1911 has discharged from being dropped, and impacting muzzle first. Does anyone have a reference to such an event?

1911Tuner recounted his drop test (http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=42123&highlight=drop) recently...

SAN JOSE
11th January 2008, 08:08
First off, I sincerely hope no one was injured when the revolver discharged.

There have been numerous discussions about this very subject, not only in this forum, but in other forums, magazine articles, and a number of books. In short, the answer to your question is YES. However, several factors have to come into play to allow a spring loaded firing pin to move forward with enough inertia to strike the primer of a cartridge with sufficient force to ignite the powder. This is a major factor involved in the introduction of the various firing pin safeties on the market today.

If you'll do a "SEARCH" on this subject, you'll find several threads that discuss the factors and issues involved.

I really would appreciate it if you or someone, could point me out to the different threads covering this topic....and thank you sir for your concern. Unfortunately, the guy was hit in the foot...nothing serious though...but I shiver to think that there were many people around, including children, when this unfortunate incident happened. Thanks again sir.

Tom
11th January 2008, 08:25
I really would appreciate it if you or someone, could point me out to the different threads covering this topic...
And Rio mentioned previously, do a Search on this topic and that should bring up the many threads in which this topic has been discussed ad nauseum.

Also, MacEntyre referenced a specific post by our 1911Tuner that discusses, among other things, the drop test.

So read on, San Jose!

SAN JOSE
11th January 2008, 11:08
Found the threads.....great reading. I'm still at it. THANKS!

rondawg
11th January 2008, 13:45
This is why I don't understand why so many people are so paranoid about Con 2 carry. If it's so hard to set off a 1911 in Con 2, why is it so "dangerous"?

Tom
11th January 2008, 14:08
It's not so much just the carry in Condition 2 as it is the cocking the hammer and the risk of having the hammer slip while cocking. But as Tuner has said, the hammer hooks should catch the hammer and prevent the striking of the primer.

dukalmighty
7th June 2008, 16:26
I became a victim of the dropped 1911 discharge last night,when my shirt pulled my RIA 1911 compact out of a crossbreed IWB holster,due to slide jamming after firing it seems as if sometime during the incident the ambi manual safety was disengaged and the gun hit a tiled concrete floor barrel first and discharged.I am currently ordering heavier firing pin springs for all my 1911's now

BoomerBSG
8th June 2008, 00:53
I became a victim of the dropped 1911 discharge last night,when my shirt pulled my RIA 1911 compact out of a crossbreed IWB holster,due to slide jamming after firing it seems as if sometime during the incident the ambi manual safety was disengaged and the gun hit a tiled concrete floor barrel first and discharged.I am currently ordering heavier firing pin springs for all my 1911's now

i read about your ordeal... glad you or anyone else wasnt hurt.
i'm gonna be ordering a heavier FP spring myself.

cheers

dukalmighty
8th June 2008, 01:05
I have an update on my ND,I have a SA 1911-A1 milspec,I pulled the firing pin and spring out of the RIA 1911 and the SA 1911,the firing pin spring in the SA 1911 not only felt stronger but was 3/4 inch longer than the RIA firing pin spring,draw you're own conclusions but if anybody has the phone number to armscor corp. I would like to notify them of the situation .

BoomerBSG
8th June 2008, 04:00
i'm curious.. you said you where going to order new FP springs..
are you upping the rate, or going with new factory standard rated springs?
i'm looking at wolfs site now, and i see "Extra Power" and "Extra Extra Power"
and Factory Standard.

i was considering just the Extra Power, but will i have to change my Recoil or MSH spring as well if i go with Extra Extra Power?

cheers