PDA

View Full Version : front sight tenons

anderson3754
25th September 2007, 20:21
On Springfield pistols do they use a wide tenon front sight or the narrow tenon front sight on the GI and Mil spec models.

Thanks

headhog
25th September 2007, 21:31
Can't be 100% sure on the GI models, but my Mil Spec is a large tenon. I'd be willing to bet the GI is the same. Pull the slide and bushing and take a look. The wide tenon is the same width as the sight blade itself. The norrow tenon is considerably smaller.

anderson3754
25th September 2007, 22:27
Can't be 100% sure on the GI models, but my Mil Spec is a large tenon. I'd be willing to bet the GI is the same. Pull the slide and bushing and take a look. The wide tenon is the same width as the sight blade itself. The norrow tenon is considerably smaller.

Thanks... I was thinking its the wide tenon as I looked at a Mil-spec, the only problem is I don't have the GI model yet that I'm going to put sights on. I'll have it in a few days and do some comparing. All I have on hand for front sights right now are the narrow tenon's. The GI is also probably the wide tenon version.

Dave Berryhill
25th September 2007, 22:40
Neither. Springfield uses a medium width tenon on the Mil Spec and GI pistols that is unique to their guns.

gans
26th September 2007, 06:39
The Springfield tenon is around .080". If you can't find one that size, you should be able to machine a wide tenon down to fit.

anderson3754
26th September 2007, 08:03
Neither. Springfield uses a medium width tenon on the Mil Spec and GI pistols that is unique to their guns.

Dave good morning. As soon as you said it, I recalled reading about that some years back. Are you using a wide tenon and dressing it down, or getting the correct size from Springfield.

Actually I need to call You this morning, ref getting a hammer.

Dave Berryhill
26th September 2007, 10:03
For a plain black stake-on front sight, I usually use a Kings front sight. Kings is one of the few places that make a front sight with a medium width (.082) tenon for a Springfield:
http://www.kingsgunworks.com/newcatalog/page02.html
You can order any of the front sights shown there by themself, just make sure you specify a .082 tenon. I usually get the #107, which is a plain black ramped front sight but they have sights with dots and bars or even a plain black post (#102). IIRC they front sights are all about .200 high. You may need to file the front sight shorter depending on what rear sight you use. I'm not sure but I think the Mil Spec sights from Springfield are only available with a white dot and not plain black.

Millet doesn't make a front sight with a medium tenon so I cut the wide tenon sight to fit the Springfield Armory slide for the MEUSOC replica. Those sights are silver-soldered to the slide instead of being staked.

Whenever possible I install a dovetail front sight that is also pinned to the slide. There are more sight options available, including tritium, plus I sleep better at night knowing that someone who is carrying one of my pistols won't loose the front sight when they need it most.

anderson3754
26th September 2007, 12:40
The Springfield tenon is around .080". If you can't find one that size, you should be able to machine a wide tenon down to fit.

Thanks.... Ordered 2 from D.Berryhill. Hate keep beating this horse, but..... If Sprinfieldfield is approx .080 what size are the large tenons like from Colt. Putting the info in my notebook.

Dave Berryhill
26th September 2007, 12:59
Current Colt is .125 wide (same width as the sight blade). Original Series 70 and earlier 1911s have a front sight tenon that is .056 wide.

anderson3754
26th September 2007, 18:30
Current Colt is .125 wide (same width as the sight blade). Original Series 70 and earlier 1911s have a front sight tenon that is .056 wide.

Once again... thank you for the information.

PaulM
29th September 2007, 05:23

Hey Dave,
I have a new series 70 Colt and terrible close vision. Do you know of anyone who makes a fiberoptic front sight that will fit the Colt?

gans
29th September 2007, 09:13
HIVIZ makes a stake on sight. I used to install these when they first came out. They were nice and bright, but prone to breakage. I don't install them anymore. A dovetail sight would be a better choice.

Dave Berryhill
29th September 2007, 09:46
I agree with gans on the dovetail sight. First Colt switched from the small GI-style front sights to the larger sights found on the Series 70 pistols. Those larger front sights kept coming off so Colt switched from a narrow to a wide tenon to strengthen the sights. Most fiber optic sights are even larger than standard ones so that's going to make it even harder to keep it attached to the slide using a narrow tenon.

PaulM
30th September 2007, 03:42
I don't have a dovetail at the front sight. Will I have to get a smith to cut one or will that make the metal at the front of the slide too thin?

Dave Berryhill
30th September 2007, 12:16
I don't have a dovetail at the front sight. Will I have to get a smith to cut one or will that make the metal at the front of the slide too thin?
Have a gunsmith mill the slide for the dovetail front sight. It won't weaken the slide if it's done correctly. It's a very common modification and some manufacturers sell pistols with dovetail front sights instead of tenon front sights.