PDA

View Full Version : how many of you CCW your full size 1911

neomentat
9th June 2007, 21:25
I'm curious to as how many people CCW their full size 1911 and what condition they carry them in.

Barry in IN
9th June 2007, 21:53
Full-size 1911 (and HiPower): Cond 1.

I like them full-size- as intended. I may go as small as Commander-sized, but don't see the need yet (although I am messing around with a S&W Sc Commander...).
I carry all of them Cond 1- otherwise, I'd be missing the point.

Frank
9th June 2007, 21:56
I have carried a full size 1911 concealed on occasion, and may do so in the future. However, I prefer to carry either a Commander or Officer size. Actually my favorite carry gun seems to be becoming my Talon III -- Commander length barrel on an Officer size grip frame. And whenever I carry a 1911, I carry it in condition 1.

DVC

Norton
9th June 2007, 22:01
I carry either a full size or my Para 12 depends on where I'm going and what I'm doing.
The 1911 is easier to conceal. I bought the Para with the idea of retiring the 1911A1
but that just hasn't happened.
Norton

irq23
9th June 2007, 22:20
I have trouble seeing what the big deal is. I carry a 5" 1911 fulsize and I am 6'2 190 pounds. I also wear mostly t-shirts and jeans. If you have a well made belt and holster its a breeze.

EricD10563
10th June 2007, 05:40
Carry a Gold Cup IWB in condition one and find it's not really hard to conceal. Always amazed me how most people just don't see a gun even when it obvious to others. Twenty years in law enforcement you start to even look at peoples ankles when sitting in an restaurant, you would be surprised how many guns I have spotted over the years. The truth is most people are not looking for a gun and you could carry an MP5 and people don't know,btw I know this from experience.

Bud White
10th June 2007, 09:16
i used to carry a fullsize everyday but since i got a new suv last year with them cushy seats it pushs on the muzzle

So i went to a Commander size gun

horse 91-A1
10th June 2007, 19:05
Colt XSE Gov't IWB Bianchi works well in the summer heat. :)

Bob

dickmartin
15th June 2007, 11:06
Weather and clothing permitting adequate concealment, my preferred "rig" is a full-size M1911 in Condition 1, and two spare mags, both in Kydex paddle holsters. In summer the alternate is usually a Kel-Tec P11 and two spare 10-rd mags, also in Kydex paddle. The Kel-Tec P3AT in DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster, in strongside front pants pocket, goes along whether either the M1911 or P11 are there or not.

katana8869
16th June 2007, 18:08
I carry a full size, all steel 1911. I carry in condition 1 with the gun IWB in a bianchi Pro 100 holster. Works great for me.

Quasi Moto
19th June 2007, 11:17
Prefer a commander size. 1911PD with scandium frame really dropped the weight quite a bit too. I am short and stocky which makes IWB set ups not attractive to me. Add in AZ heat and belt slide or button on holsters are all I own.

Ping Ping
19th June 2007, 12:14
If it's all you know, you don't know no better. :D

Salvage33
19th June 2007, 13:45
Depending on time of year, ie, clothing requirements I carry a full size 1911 in a Galco shoulder rig, or a Bianchi IWB. Gun is always condition 1. If it is summer time, and shorts and t-shirts are the uniform of the day, I step down to a Star Firestar Mod. 43, 9mm and it is carried condition 1 in a cargo pocket. Always have spare mags.

As for being noticed, I had an occasion to visit a local mall recently. Was carrying IWB, shirt tail out. My cell phone was in its holster on my right side, causing a bulge under the shirt tail. Security guy asked what the bulge was. I raised my shirt tail just enough to let him see the phone. The 1911 was about 2" behind the cell phone. Please note, he did not ask if I was carrying a concealed weapon.

John

Butch Fish
19th June 2007, 21:49
I carry my Full size 1911 every day.

chimkayu
20th June 2007, 01:00
Halito all. Yes, I carry the full-size 1911...concealed...even during hot months. I have medical problems that make me feel cold when it is 90 degrees out, so I still wear a light jacket during the Summer. Went to a friend's house recently with Bebe and while there I took my jacket off...didn't really think anything about it. My friend's wife had a panic attack when she noticed I was wearing a "...gun of all things". So, I respectfully handed both of my weapons to Bebe to place in our vehicle so as not to cause our hostess any more alarm. Imagine her surprise that I was carrying not one, but TWO full size fire-arms concealed. My friend was very nonchalant about the whole thing, but she was really panicky about it........hope nobody ever breaks in on them. Love the 1911, Wisconsin (mooooooo) and this forum.

C.........

Rich-D
21st June 2007, 04:21
Due to my thin built and clothing styles I prefer the Commander Size for daily carry. And a 3" when necessary for better concealment. Condition 1, always and forever!

littledoc
22nd June 2007, 03:22
Usually I have a Combat Commander with me, but I sometimes bring a full size. It's not that much different, plus my 2 favorite holsters are for a 5" gun anyway. Back when I bought them they weren't available for Commanders.

Tom
22nd June 2007, 13:19
I carry a full-size (and full weight) M1911 inside the waistband (IWB) and in Condition 1.

Carole-K
22nd June 2007, 13:28
I would carry a full-size 1911 if I were taller. But I have a short body and it just isn't happening. So I carry a SA MC.

Tom
22nd June 2007, 13:48
I would carry a full-size 1911 if I were taller. But I have a short body and it just isn't happening. So I carry a SA MC.
It's okay, honey. You're just a woman, after all. A big, heavy M1911 is a lot of gun for a "little lady" to carry. :p

Poohgyrr
22nd June 2007, 21:16
Full size and C&L.

Is there another way to do it??

;)

Hunter
23rd June 2007, 02:33
I prefer a Colt Gold Cup Trophy in condition 1 as my CCW.

Rich-D
23rd June 2007, 05:06
You could wear a 5" 1911 with 5" High Heels. :p

dodge
23rd June 2007, 14:00
I do as it's the only 1911 I have. I own a Kimber Custon II and am very happy with it but I need to get a different holster for it. I just haven't desided which on I'll get just yet but I have a genartic off brand IWB that works okay but I need a better one that will stay open after I draw.

Tom
24th June 2007, 08:24
You could wear a 5" 1911 with 5" High Heels.
Yeah, but then all she'd be able to do is stand there for fear of falling down. Trust me on this. I know!

JaimeZX
26th June 2007, 21:13
I am expecting a Tucker Answer in the next few weeks (ordered in April) and I'm wondering what carry techniques y'all might recommend for a relatively skinny guy. (6'1, 165lbs.)

Obviously there'll be some trial & error but if you have suggestions I'll try those first. :)

Thanks in advance!

horse 91-A1
26th June 2007, 21:42
I am expecting a Tucker Answer in the next few weeks (ordered in April) and I'm wondering what carry techniques y'all might recommend for a relatively skinny guy. (6'1, 165lbs.)

Obviously there'll be some trial & error but if you have suggestions I'll try those first. :)

Thanks in advance!

Get older and gain 50lbs. :)

Bob

JaimeZX
26th June 2007, 21:44
Okay I'll try Bob's suggestion later. :o Anyone else?

JLH3
28th June 2007, 23:22
Full-size and a Sparks Summer Special IWB.

twin oaks
30th June 2007, 15:12
Full size, Cond. 1, in either a Fobus ( bad for your finish) OWB, or an el cheapo IWB. Both ways have a double mag paddle. Oversized shirt for concealment, carried strongside behind the hip/ cell phone as previously mentioned.

Poohgyrr
2nd July 2007, 13:08
Full-size and a Sparks Summer Special IWB.

+1, although I'm using a Hoffners IWB these days for a non railed 1911. Sidearmor modular OWB for railed, BladeTech IWB for railed.

The Summer Special & SS #2 have worked for many folks for a long time.

Kramer's IWB #2 is also very good and I use them for other pistols.

sprice1973
11th July 2007, 18:58
No problem carrying a full size 1911,in condition 1.I occasionaly carry my Colt Officers ACP,but for the most part have my full size RIA,Springfield G.I.,or Taurus PT1911 on my side.

Snakebite Nixon
14th July 2007, 12:24
It's not my favorite carry gun, but I do carry it a few times a week.

Loadmaster
21st July 2007, 10:22
I carry a 5" Sig Revolution (condition 1) in shorts and untucked shirt w/ iwb holster.

Mannlicher
24th July 2007, 20:56
I have two full sized 1911 Springfields that I use as CCW guns. I use leather by Sam Andrews of www.andrewscustomleather.com and am pleased with how well IWB holster rides and conceals.

pfortypflinter
2nd August 2007, 23:33
I carry a full size 1911, and am shaped like a wedge. Is anyone out there using suspenders to help keep their trousers up? I usally carry IWB, but sometimes OWB.

VonHoffmann
4th August 2007, 12:48
Justs received my Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 from Brownells yesterday. Will be carrying a full sized 1911 condition 1, once I move to texas end of this monnth and receive my CHL.

It feels so good to know I am returning to the free world!

Pappy
4th August 2007, 13:19
Justs received my Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 from Brownells yesterday. Will be carrying a full sized 1911 condition 1, once I move to texas end of this monnth and receive my CHL.

It feels so good to know I am returning to the free world!

Welcome to Texas....no passport needed..

stormbringerr
4th August 2007, 13:36
Carry a Gold Cup IWB in condition one and find it's not really hard to conceal. Always amazed me how most people just don't see a gun even when it obvious to others. Twenty years in law enforcement you start to even look at peoples ankles when sitting in an restaurant, you would be surprised how many guns I have spotted over the years. The truth is most people are not looking for a gun and you could carry an MP5 and people don't know,btw I know this from experience.

an mp5?, hard core man! ;)

MedSpec65
4th August 2007, 13:37
Kimber Custom II condition I in a UBG IWB. The narrow width of a 1911 is so ideal for carry it compensates for the length and weight. I'd prefer a Milt Sparks Summer Special or Versa Max II for the ease of re-holstering, but the wait for delivery can be three months.

custommade
8th August 2007, 10:28
I carry my full size Thompson Custom most of the time with an extra clip in my right pocket. When my back starts hurting I'll carry my Bersa 380 or Beretta PX4 storm. I wish I could carry the 1911 all the time. :o :o

so854
8th August 2007, 19:51
I have a full size and a commander, and rotate them frequently. and... always in condition one.

Hornett
10th August 2007, 10:54
Commander here.
Condition 1.

Tom
10th August 2007, 12:22
... and rotate them frequently.
I assume you rest them on the muzzle end when you rotate them? If so, how do you get them to spin so long without falling over?

Oh wait. I know what you're talking about now. Nevermind.

LOL

Pappy
10th August 2007, 12:34
I assume you rest them on the muzzle end when you rotate them? If so, how do you get them to spin so long without falling over?

LOL

Oh, Tom, your thinking of the Magnus effect;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus_effect

So easy even..............:p

Mr. Griz
13th August 2007, 07:45
My CCW is a Taurus PT1911, cocked and locked.

Tom
13th August 2007, 12:15
Oh, Tom, your thinking of the Magnus effect;
Precisely! Wow, you're pretty knowledgeable for a Neanderthal. LOL

Funny you should mention the Magnus Effect, but as a science project I built a model boat with a soda can mounted to a motor to cause it to rotate - and it did show some positive forward motion even against the wind.

Pappy
13th August 2007, 12:40
Precisely! Wow, you're pretty knowledgeable for a Neanderthal. LOL

Careful Tom, I may be a caveman, but my brother is 100% Neanderthal...:p

Tom
13th August 2007, 13:16
So you prefer Cro-Magnon?

Frank
13th August 2007, 13:48
Pappy,

You changed your avatar back? Too many late night telephone calls and knocks on the door from love sick ladies?

DVC

Pappy
13th August 2007, 15:41
Pappy,

You changed your avatar back? Too many late night telephone calls and knocks on the door from love sick ladies?

DVC

To tell the truth, it was my brother's photo, he found out and made me take it off.
Now, no more love sick ladies.....:sd:

Pappy
13th August 2007, 15:52
So you prefer Cro-Magnon?

That's American-Cro-Magnon.

Am I being profiled??? :nono:

Rich-D
13th August 2007, 16:59
To tell the truth, it was my brother's photo, he found out and made me take it off.
Now, no more love sick ladies.....:sd:

You can sure tell that you and your brother are siblings. Anyway all of them love sick ladies had extremely hairy bodies, huge teeth and calloused knuckles. You would certainly need a full sized .45 fully loaded with +P to end any relationship. :p :p :p

Pappy
13th August 2007, 17:34
You can sure tell that you and your brother are siblings. Anyway all of them love sick ladies had extremely hairy bodies, huge teeth and calloused knuckles. You would certainly need a full sized .45 fully loaded with +P to end any relationship. :p :p :p

Rich, here are my other brothers. Can you tell the family resemblence???

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j68/pappy1911/images.jpg

rootn.tootn.shoe
13th August 2007, 22:21
What kind of RPM's were required to have a soda can deliver "forward movement even against the wind"? And, was it an old style steel can, i.e., more weight than the current alum. cans? I might suggest it as a project for one of my grandkids. Thanks

Pappy
13th August 2007, 22:43
What kind of RPM's were required to have a soda can deliver "forward movement even against the wind"? And, was it an old style steel can, i.e., more weight than the current alum. cans? I might suggest it as a project for one of my grandkids. Thanks

And what about the pull tab being off center?? I see high speed turbulence. Esp above mach 1........

pulpsmack
13th August 2007, 22:43
I may carry a full size for the sake of novelty but I have found that my 4" BBL trounces a 5" with respect to ease of carry and accuracy.

Rich-D
14th August 2007, 06:44
I may carry a full size for the sake of novelty but I have found that my 4" BBL trounces a 5" with respect to ease of carry and accuracy.

Ease of carry I can agree, as I carry either a 4.25 or 3" rather then one of my 5" guns. However if your 4" trounces your 5" in accuracy, then there must be something amiss with the 5".

Brenjen
19th August 2007, 10:09
I carry my Para P14 .45 w/out a round in the chamber because I like the added bonus that the chambering of a round might deter a criminal & I won't actually have to kill; & no the idea of killing doesn't bother me or I wouldn't be carrying a weapon. I can chamber a round in a blink so the time isn't really an issue, since where I live (Arkansas U.S.A.) the courts will throw you in jail for shooting someone in any but the most dire situations, you really have to be already wounded to justify self defense here....& the attacker had better have a gun as well, if they are armed with anything less than what you are armed with, you're still likely to end up in jail (unless you've already been wounded). Even in your own home it can be a tricky defense in court.....Yes, I want to move to a more conservative, "self defense friendly" state.

Rich-D
19th August 2007, 10:25
I carry my Para P14 .45 w/out a round in the chamber because I like the added bonus that the chambering of a round might deter a criminal & I won't actually have to kill; & no the idea of killing doesn't bother me or I wouldn't be carrying a weapon. I can chamber a round in a blink so the time isn't really an issue, since where I live (Arkansas U.S.A.) the courts will throw you in jail for shooting someone in any but the most dire situations, you really have to be already wounded to justify self defense here....& the attacker had better have a gun as well, if they are armed with anything less than what you are armed with, you're still likely to end up in jail (unless you've already been wounded). Even in your own home it can be a tricky defense in court.....Yes, I want to move to a more conservative, "self defense friendly" state.

If you live in a State where you have to be wounded in order to justify self defense, how are you assured that you will still be able to chamber a round wounded. And while you are chambering a round you are taking a chance of being hit several more times.

The most dire situations that you mention do not call for the threat of chambering, they call for dropping a safety as you are pointing and shooting.
Always remember that the assailant gets to take the first action. Your first action should not allow the assailant to take further action, as it would be while you are chambering.

Brenjen
19th August 2007, 11:04
The chambering of a round has a shock effect much like the pumping of a shotgun action, it gets the less determined criminals to think, I realize this will not fit every situation a person could find themselves in. I'm not saying it's a good plan & I'm not advising others to follow it, it's just the one most likely to keep me out of court. Having a round chambered might not help in some situations either since the first wound might be a fatal one. Backwards no common sense state, what can I say.

If I had to defend myself quietly (no sound of a chambering round) I'd use my back-up weapon which is a Texas Defender .410 derringer loaded with buckshot, then draw my primary & pray for the best.

The laws in Arkansas are simply insane & one must do everything one can to stay safe & out of the graveyard, yet stay out of prison for staying safe as well. It's almost like the laws here are designed as a catch-22.

Rich-D
19th August 2007, 11:41
If you have a Derringer in one hand, how are you going to chamber the round in your Para in a timely and effective manner.

In one gun confrontation my arm was pinned, in a second my arm was injured.
If I utilized your method of carry, I would not be here to respond to you.

I would move to Florida, Vermont, PA or some other State where you have the natural right of self defense, without the paralyzing fear of jail time. I moved back to PA after retiring from a New Jersey PD as I was aware of the constrained laws of NJ.

Brenjen
19th August 2007, 12:42
You drop it when it's empty ;-)

Again, I'm not recommending my way to anyone. You rolls the dice & you takes your chances.

Frank
19th August 2007, 13:13
Rich-D, I'm of course with you and think that carrying a 1911 in any condition other than condition 1 is a very bad idea. But this is probably not the thread to get into that discussion. The subject is regularly discussed at length -- most recently, IIRC, in the following threads:

http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=33182&

and

http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=34622&

I will say, however, that under the laws of self defense generally, one is on shaky ground even deploying a pistol unless one could reasonably, at that point, use lethal force in self defense.

DVC

pfortypflinter
19th August 2007, 20:34
I agree with Rich and Frank that you should consider carrying conditon 1. I don't think that the shock effect will change anything when a peron has already presented a weapon. Time is of the essance, and a second delay may put you at a real disadvantage.

Brenjen
19th August 2007, 20:42
I disagree. It takes me as long to chamber a round as to release a safety. This is all a moot point anyway as this is the wrong thread to discuss the pro's & con's as has been pointed out by Frank.

mrhog
19th August 2007, 21:36
I carry a Auto ordance 1911 full size. I use a owb holster or a safepacker type of carry. Also it is in cond .1 all of thwe time!!!!

torontogunguy
5th September 2007, 10:55
An interesting poll and result; one must keep in mind that the results are skewed and the data flawed as most members of the forum are 1911 afficianados, as am I.

However, I use my 1911's mostly for competition and range work. I do indeed carry a 1911 or variant as the mood strikes me and as my belt and suspenders allow. I have Kimbers: a TLEII/RLII, a Custom II and a Target II in SS. The latter is 9mm and gives me a wee bit of weight relief but not much.

I also own several others and variants, including a Ruger P345, a Transmark Bull M5 (being worked on) and some others. I enjoy carrying the P345.

I own a number of Glocks and truthfully I dislike carrying them as I just do NOT feel comfortable with the level of safety provided. I posted this on the Glock forum and just about had my head chewed off. Unsafe? Well, lemme see here. Pull the trigger. Bang. Have clothing catch the trigger on reholstering. Bang. Have a twig or anything else touch the trigger. Bang. And if you are carrying concealed as opposed to duty carry, likely the muzzle is pointed at something that you would rather not lose, like the family jewels to be blunt. I see some guys adding aftermarket thumb safeties to their Glocks... that is not a "passive" safety as far as I am concerned.

On the 1911 and variants we also have a passive safety system, namely the GRIP safety and I love that. I have no trouble carrying a 1911 in condition one. With a grip safety and a thumb safety... what more could one ask for?

Recently I picked up a couple of HK P7M8's and have a couple of P7 PSP's on order. They are NOT 1911 variants. The barrel is fixed. However, their safety system is second to none IMHO. Squeeze the grip the thing is cocked and ready to go; release the grip and it immediately uncocks and is safe. Their only problem is the price. Very expensive for a carry piece. But on the other hand they are dead accurate due to the fixed barrel, etc.

So, I am torn. The Glocks are out for carry as far as I am concerned, IF I AM CARRYING ONE IN THE CHAMBER. Otherwise they are safe.

Truth is, I can see the value of carrying "hot" but on the other hand can see the potential for mishaps.

I have taken extensive training and studied much... and there are two things that stick out in my mind. First and foremost is the time to action... the time it takes you to clear, verify your target, aim and shoot. Fractions of a second count as chances are that you are meeting action with reaction... a bad thing. Secondly is safety. I am the last guy that wants to carry 24/7 for life, hoping never to have to use my weapon, only to take one in the rear end because my weapon is unsafe. And my friends, condition one is probably the least safe carry for a 1911. But, boy, when compared with some of the other carries I have been playing with... it is about as safe as you can get. Like I said, thumb safety, grip safety, etc. Glocks are IMHO emminently more reliable, but if Herr Glock would just stick a grip safety on his guns! Love my 1911's and will never part with them. But for carrying daily concealed, I am going with my HK P7M8 and PSP. Safe AND fast to action. Can't be beat.

Thanks for listening to me blabber and waste bandwidth.

texn884
19th September 2007, 22:17
I carry my XD 45 Tatical and my other is my SA 1911. I feel more at ease with a full size in my hands.

texn884
19th September 2007, 22:28
My XD 5" Tatical and my two SA 1911's are always cocked and locked on the 1911's and my XD is always primed and ready :)

torontogunguy
20th September 2007, 09:30
My XD 5" Tatical and my two SA 1911's are always cocked and locked on the 1911's and my XD is always primed and ready :)

After careful consideration; speed to action (first accurate shot) is essential, regardless of what you are carrying. No question whatever. I juggle this with safety... and IMHO your 1911's are far far safer in condition one carry (concealed IWB for instance) than your XD. I have an XD and as I recall it is without a safety? I am a big fan of grip safety and thumb safety, the former being, IMHO, a HUGE asset. It is tough to get something caught in both the grip safety AND the trigger at the same time while the gun is holstered pointed at your vitals.

OTOH.. carrying on my hip OWB... I might even carry my Glocks in a pinch.

Safety first. Safety always.

OD*
20th September 2007, 09:45
I used to carry a full-size cocked & locked everyday (25+years) but have been carrying a Colt LW OACP (C&L), for the last several months.

Rich-D
29th September 2007, 05:20
I now prefer for CCW a LW Commander length gun.

Rich

Hornett
29th September 2007, 12:43
I now prefer for CCW a LW Commander length gun.+1
With an Ed Brown Bobtail... +2 :)

Reconvic
30th September 2007, 20:40
I always carry in condition 1 and a Full size pistol, most of the time in a ITP holster

Chieftain
1st October 2007, 07:15
I only own 5" 1911's. Reliability, shoot ability, and the 45acp cartridge needs every bit of that 5" barrel. If I want a compact weapon I would carry a 9mm, most often one of my Hi Powers. Arthritis has affected how well I can shoot my SIG's, so if neither the 1911 or Hi Power would do, I would probably carry one of my Glocks.

I always carry in condition 1. There are rare times that I only have my BUG. A S&W 642 or 638 in a Kramer Horse hide pocket holster. That is very rare.

I carry 98% of the time in an IWB Milt Sparks VM II. I have one for my rail guns, which I some times also carry in an Alessi PCH, and of course another one for my 1911's with normal dust covers. All of them are very comfortable. (the normal dust cover weapons all fit in the VM II for the rail guns, and the PCH too.)

I use a Comp-Tac straight drop for my Rail guns in competition, and a Wilson tactical assault for my non rail guns (the rail guns will work in the Wilson holster too.) which is also used for OWB carry of either the railed or non railed weapon.

My primary carry non railed are a Colt gunsite Pistol, Kimber CDP II, Kimber Gold Combat Stainless series one. My two rail guns are two Kimber Warriors, that I really enjoy shooting. Accurate, reliable, and that intangible, "they feeL good".

Subjectively I am preferring to carry the #2 Warrior for CCW more and more.

But the way all this gear is carried on a 1.5" Wilderness Products 5 stitch belt. At times I truly will forget I have the weapon on.

By the way, I am 5'8" tall and fat, 260lbs. Usually wear levi's and a banlon shirt not tucked in. We get just a bit warm in the summer here in Phoenix, and I dress the same way.

Good luck.

Fred

Stormin
5th October 2007, 01:33
Full size, Condition 1 (not like I'm going to pull it out and throw it at the bad guy).

I have others I will carry, and always with a loaded chamber.

Tuefelhunden
11th October 2007, 14:00
I voted full size and condition one. I personally really like the belly bands for full size carry. If worn properly they are comfortable, distribute the weight very well and are extremely versatile in tucked and untucked shirt situations. There are some great leather and kydex holsters out there but they all hang off of the belt is one way or another and the belly bands keep everything in tight and really do a great job handling the weight because the pants belt is holding it in and not up. Action Direct makes the one I use and like the best. YMMV.

Semper Fi

Tuefelhunden

rondawg
11th October 2007, 15:32
Usually my RIA Compact, sometimes the full-size GI. Always con 1. I use a Beltster for CCW.

joedirt
12th October 2007, 00:20
I carry a full size 1911, in condition 1. I don't really see the point in carrying it in any other condition. I'm only 5'10, 175 lbs., and I don't see the difficulty in carrying it, even over a full day.

torontogunguy
12th October 2007, 10:56
After careful consideration; speed to action (first accurate shot) is essential, regardless of what you are carrying. No question whatever. I juggle this with safety... and IMHO your 1911's are far far safer in condition one carry (concealed IWB for instance) than your XD. I have an XD and as I recall it is without a safety? I am a big fan of grip safety and thumb safety, the former being, IMHO, a HUGE asset. It is tough to get something caught in both the grip safety AND the trigger at the same time while the gun is holstered pointed at your vitals.

OTOH.. carrying on my hip OWB... I might even carry my Glocks in a pinch.

Safety first. Safety always.

I apologize. My XD is brand new. I generally don't carry full sized for concealed carry; my favourites are my two HK P7M8's as they are totally safe with one in the chamber concealed carry and squeeze cockers so that they gun is NOT cocked unless it is being tightly gripped. I L.O.V.E. them. Wish I could get Wild Bill's Concealment to get my holster order to me... but have ordered leather elsewhere in the meantime (I get a bad feeling about Wild Bill's but that's another thread). My next favourites, believe it or not, are my GLock 26 ported and my GLock 30, both with Storm Lake Barrels on them for accuracy and recoil reduction. They are the LEAST safe handguns ever made in the entire world for concealed carry but are the BEST duty carry guns IMHO. Pull trigger. Bang. Every time. I will not carry one concealed as the only safety is "between your ears" as I have been told. DUH? Try carrying my G26 aimed at my crotch while driving the other day and somehow it just does not feel right in an IWB holster or even in an OWB holster. In a DUTY CARRY HOLSTER, which is NOT condusive to a rapid draw from a sitting position, they are safe... because why? Because, class, they are aimed somewhere where we don't mind having a Gold Dot or whatever strike! (i.e. not my crotch or any vital arteries). Now... on to my 1911's and variants. I love my 1911's and will always carry CONDX 1, loaded, cocked and locked. They have TWO levels of safety - thumb safety and grip safety (at least). I earlier stated that the XD did not have a grip safety and I was wrong. Sorry.

jarine
12th October 2007, 11:43
I carry my SA TRP off duty using a Fobus holster. No problems concealing it because I wear oversize clothes.

Markbo
13th October 2007, 14:37
I am curious of all the respondents, what is the percentage of current and former LEO and military.

dogdollar
13th October 2007, 15:35
I carry full size occasionally, but mostly commander size in a VMII IWB or Alessi DOJ OWB, alternated with a Bruce Nelson Legacy FBI cant OWB.

OWB, even in the summertime (and in Houston, of all places), is easy to pull off if you wear a light T-shirt under an unbuttoned short sleeved shirt.

If you're going to be standing or walking most of the day, get yourself an Uncle Mike's pocket holster and carry in the front pocket of your jeans with the shirt tail out (of course). VERY comfortable.

Always carry cocked and locked.

As so many have said before.....the BELT is just as important, if not more so, than the holster. Mine are Galcos.

Tim

Markbo
13th October 2007, 15:57
dogdollar -
With both shirtails out or the undershirt tucked in?
Just trying to be clear some options I can try out.

Uncle Mike's has a pocket holster for a commander sized 1911?
I have never seen one.

You carry a 1911 in your pocket cocked and locked? Wearing Jeans?
In Houston? In the Summer?
You must be awfully thin and wear big jeans. I personally can't wear jeans in Houston in the Summer. Slacks or Dockers or similar type shorts is about it. I feel watched with a P11 in my pocket, let alone a 1911 - cocked no less with no way to know the condition of the thumb safety.

I guess I have a lot to learn!

dogdollar
13th October 2007, 16:14
Yes, quite thin actually LOL:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f179/6401glendale/Gun%20Stuff/ChHolstr1.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f179/6401glendale/Gun%20Stuff/ChHolstr3.jpg

T.

Jitterbug
13th October 2007, 19:15
I'm a scrawny old guy, about 5'8" and a 150 pounds, I can usually carry a Commander, or 4" Aluminum Compact OWB/IWB in just about any weather with out much fuss.

I don't think the extra 3/4 of an inch would make much difference, but I'm happy.

Condition one of course.

Reconvic
13th October 2007, 20:37
I am 57 years old and also carry a full size pistol 1911 @ 164 LBS and 5'7'' and always in Condition 1

buckshot362
21st October 2007, 15:49
I carry a full size 1911 condition 1 in a home made holster that fits my "511" vest.
works for me.

custommade
28th October 2007, 06:08
I bought an IWB holster from Blade-Tech that was on sale. I carry my Rock Island Tactical in it with a large T-shirt or polo sgirt. I prefer darker colors. I am a 5'9" 255 male. We fat people already have a lot to hide so we can tuck our weapons in a fold. LOL!! Oh ditto on condition one

scott53
28th October 2007, 09:37
I occasionally carry a full-size 1911 concealed. However, I usually carry a Commander-size S&W 1911PD built by Jim Garthwaite. I currently have an Officer-size alloy frame with Commander-length slide/barrel on order with Garthwaite. That will become my primary carry 1911. I only carry a 1911 in condition 1.

FortySecondWarrior
8th November 2007, 01:30
I'm a big boy (read: large), so I wouldn't have a problem with a full size, and I think that full size slide works to your advantage if you have to rack it on a table or such.

Chieftain
8th November 2007, 06:52
I am curious of all the respondents, what is the percentage of current and former LEO and military.

Guilty,

USMC 10 years, 2 tours in Vietnam with the 3rd Marine Division.

5 years with the Brevard County Sheriff.

1.5 years with Florida DOC.

Life member of the NRA and the DAV.

"And a partridge in a Pear tree."

And to repeat what I said in my post, I am old and fat.

Go figure.

Fred

K9american
8th November 2007, 06:58
Guilty,

Fred

Thank you for your service, Sir. :)

JaimeZX
8th November 2007, 07:53
Air Force here, but never in the era of the 1911. I'm pretty skinny but the Tucker Answer really hides my full-sized Colt.

prophet42
8th November 2007, 16:42
Guilty,

5 years with the Brevard County Sheriff.

1.5 years with Florida DOC.

Life member of the NRA and the DAV.

"And a partridge in a Pear tree."

And to repeat what I said in my post, I am old and fat.

Go figure.

Fred

4 years us cavalry (us army)

middle aged and getting fatter

work for homeland security guarding an undisclosed installation.

Carry a Para-Ordnance 14.45 LDA condition 1.5? i guess!

poppop
9th November 2007, 00:41
Right now my CCW gun is a Kahr CW9 because I can't fully hide my 1911's barrel unless I wear a shirt that's a little too big. That'll change once I get ahold of a good IWB holster.

I was in the Navy, but it was only for about 7 months.

Rich-D
9th November 2007, 00:44
Carry a Para-Ordnance 14.45 LDA condition 1.5? i guess!

You have me wondering what condition 1.5 represents ?

Rich

redhart
9th November 2007, 19:02
Marines 69-71 ,One time resident of Da Nang,I carry full size for work and a Officers size for "bar b q"

joffe
9th November 2007, 19:28
You have me wondering what condition 1.5 represents ?

Rich
I'm guessing that would be a 'decocked' (hammer down) 1911 with the LDA system.

redhart
9th November 2007, 19:39
Negative..its a Springer, V 10 all stainless ported bbl,6 rd mag.

redhart
9th November 2007, 19:42
whoops joffe, I misread the post ,thought you were askind me about the BBQ gun I mentioned.

Zoidberg
30th November 2007, 05:05
Can I vote for carrying a fullsized in condition 1, but it's still heavy?

rondawg
30th November 2007, 13:33
Yes, quite thin actually LOL:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f179/6401glendale/Gun%20Stuff/ChHolstr1.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f179/6401glendale/Gun%20Stuff/ChHolstr3.jpg

T.
I have one of those, a right hand model, but I rarely use it for carry. I didn't realize it was for pocket use though, but I have used it that way. I thought it was just a cheapo IWB holster. I usually use mine as a protective "sleeve" to carry a full-size in my briefcase of backpack, and it works really well to stuff the gun next to my thigh between the drivers seat and console of my Jeep Liberty. Also fits well in the seam between the seats in my Silverado.

My Compact stays in the Beltster, but I usually carry a full-size GI model off-body in vehicles for repelling uglies that might try to carjack me or whatever. Much quicker to grab a gun next to me than try to get The Pup out from under the seatbelt. Never had to do it yet, hope I never do. Here in Colorado it's legal to carry a loaded pistol in a vehicle, permit or not, and it doesn't have to be hidden.

NightVision
11th December 2007, 20:45
I carry a USGI 1911 in condition 1. Cocked and locked, ready to rock-n-roll.

Will-61
12th December 2007, 22:22
Custom TLE II with a Wilson Combat 8-shot mag in a Glaco Avenger w/2 8 round Chip McCormick mags in a Bianchi mag pouch. All covered by a 5.11 vest all year round.

I'm 5' 9", 180lbs, and I am still in the Army, OIF II Vet.

http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/728/kimberonthehipmz3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

OD*
12th December 2007, 22:55
I carry a USGI 1911 in condition 1. Cocked and locked, ready to rock-n-roll.
Neat, which maker, Colt, Springfield, Remington-UMC?
What year is your 1911?

NightVision
13th December 2007, 00:41
Hi OD*, I have this USGI 1911 for the last 30 yrs now. I have in excess of 32,000 rounds through this baby that I know of. I have no idea how many rounds were fired in the 59 yrs prior to my ownership. I accurized it when I purchased it back in 1978. This gun is pristine and one of the finest WWI units out there.

I have all the original parts and all parts fit and match the gun even the two tone mags. I have the holster, lanyard, and cleaning kit that was issued with this unit also. It never went through the arsenal system. I hand massaged every part to fit exactly to this frame. All moving and wear points are treated to reduce friction and wear. I use numerous USGI 1911-A1 slides with low mount BoMars and dovetail Trijicon Tritium sights in conjunction with Schuemann Classic AET barrel assys on this frame. All toolsteel parts are used throughout. The Checkmate Hybrids function flawlessly in her as well.

This baby is living testament that anything that is good in life will stand the test of time. I would not trade this gun or sell it for any other 1911 out there!
Sorry, I get long winded. Hey OD*, Thanks for asking.

poppop
13th December 2007, 06:26
NightVision, any pictures?

OD*
13th December 2007, 09:14
Thanks NightVision, I'd love to see a picture too, if you have some.

NightVision
13th December 2007, 13:35
Hi All, Thank you for showing interest in my 1911. I wish I could quench your thirst for pictures at this time. I do not have a digital camera. I really should get one. Let me add that to my Christmas list. My GF will be in town for the holidays. I will try to convince her to do a photo shoot for ya. Of the gun of course. I know she has her agenda and gun pictures is NOT on her list of things to do while she is here. I know that Santa will be very good to her this year, I will see what I can do to get ya a treat.
In the meantime, .....................Happy shooting and Best Wishes for the Holidays.............WH.

poppop
13th December 2007, 16:26
Well...*ahem* if you like, I'd be more than willing to accept a "loan" of your 1911 to take pictures of it. Can't guarantee that the USPS wouldn't lose it on its way back to you, though. However, just to keep you from being without a 1911, I'd be more than happy to let you use my Custom II. You don't have to say yes now, just think about it. Anyways, just throwing that out there. ;)

Tom
13th December 2007, 17:34
I know she has her agenda and gun pictures is NOT on her list of things to do while she is here.
I think you need to straighten this woman out right quick. She's gotta be made to understand that guns ARE the priority.

NightVision
17th December 2007, 12:40
Hi poppop, I will consider your offer there poppop and counter it with one better in a PM.

Hi tom, My GF is a very unique woman. She is very supportive of my interests and passions. She is a highly competitive person and enjoys shooting and racing cars, and is always up for the challenge. I assure you that she will plant a bullet in a adversary just as easy as rubbing sheetmetal at 150 MPH with the best of them. I have a pile of twisted BMW parts behind my shop to show for it. And I also have a backhoe incase of the other.

I taught her to shoot well and power drift through the turns. It is a good reason to get the camera. She can teach me a few things and get me up to speed. Ironically, It took fifty years for the 1911 to find it's way into my hand, and it took me fifty years to find my companion in life's hand. I just hope it doesn't take me fifty years to get the postings you requested.