PDA

View Full Version : RIA/ARMSCOR 40 CAL ??? (new member)

nvshooter
25th March 2007, 11:11
Hi all,
This is my first post here, looks like a great forum for the 1911 fan. I was wondering if anyone owns, or does RIA/ARMSCOR make a 1911 in 40 cal?

If one of you guys owns one I would really be interested in your feed back on the 40 vs the 45.

BigO
25th March 2007, 12:32
Well I don't own a 40 Armscor , but I own a 40 and a few 45's .

The 45 as we all know is a battle proven round , but then again that can be said of how many rounds ? Hundreds perhaps ? A nice round chunk of lead has killed a whole bunch of people through out history now hasn't it .

The 45 has been and still is one of the most accurate rounds in the world setting target shooting records that I do believe still stand . But are you a die hard target shooter ? I doubt it .

The 45 since it has been around so long is far easier to find in loaded rounds and reloadable components , many will describe the recoil of the 45 as a push rather than a "Whip" which is how many perceive the 40 . Now mind you being a so called "Modern Round" the 40 hit the market in guns with Light weight frames and combined with the higher working pressures of the round is often the difference in this feel of recoil .

The 40 is being used by many Police departments in the United States and has been for about a decade and it has done a wonderful job as establishing itself as a "Man stopper" , superior to that of the 9mm's record as such .

The 40 is more than accurate enough for the weekend target/plinker/shooter in that if you can't hit the target odds are you need to look at your abilities rather than the gun for fault .

In reloading the 40 you have to keep in mind those higher pressures and make sure you don't get a double charge and that the bullet is held firmly in the case because if it gets set back your pressures will skyrocket to levels that are dangerous both to you and your gun .

In the end if it came to a gun fight I would feel fine with either round and a good hollow point or even a semi wadcutter coming out of the muzzle at near 1,000 fps regardless of the weapon platform used .

Around the house I have within reach more often than not one of three guns 1, a Charles Daly 45 with Hornady 200 gr hollow point loaded near max with Winchester 231 , 2) a 40 Taurus PT 940 with Remington 180 gr JHP factory loads and lastly 3) a Taurus 357 with Winchester 125 JHP's and a max load of 231 . All three are 100% dependable with those loads and accurate enough to do the job , if I do my part and put them where they need to go I doubt I would ever need more gun to defend myself or family .

So take your pick , street home or anywhere in between there are many fine cartridges that can be used for defense or fun that are up to the task . Are you ?

vikz
25th March 2007, 12:50
i'm not sure if ria makes .40 in the 1911 platform,i know they have 9mm but they are not exporting it at the moment, regarding the cartidges it really up to you if you like the .40cal i'm sure it will do the job but like my dealer said when i told him that my brother doesnt want to buy my ria 1911 in 45 bec he wants a glock or an xd in 9mm his response to me was "some people value life more than others"

southbound
25th March 2007, 13:25
Vikz

"some people value life more than others"

You make me laugh :lm: :lm: :lm: :lm: :lm: :lm:

Every one I know wants a carry gun for under $100 :confused: They all want to carry a .17 or a .22 I never heard of a .17 :confused: :confused: They make fun of my full size .45acp!! Why such a big gun. Simple I always win :p :p I also tell them my pistol is there to save my LIFE!! I am not a betting man I don't take chances a .22 won't cut it for me. A back up sure my primary carry not a chance ;)
Sorry for the rant...

Plinkomatic
25th March 2007, 13:59
I've read that the pressures and whatnot of the .40S&W don't lend itself to the wonderful 1911 design, although with 9mm 1911's around that does not make a ton of sense.
I'm certain you aren't the first to want a 1911 in .40, but, there must be a reason they aren't around, particularlly with the explosive growth of the 1911 and the .40 in recent years.

Auto Mag
25th March 2007, 16:56
Armscor does have a 40 S&W listed on their web site. :D

vikz
25th March 2007, 17:56
automag and you don't have one of this yet??!!!that's not right!!! :D :D :lm: :lm: :lm:

Auto Mag
25th March 2007, 17:58
Vikz, actually I do not have an Armscor/RIA in 40 S&W..............yet!!!! :lm: :lm: My son does have a Mauser M2 in 40 S&W and it is a pretty nice round. Some refer to it as the 10MM short!! :lm:

vikz
25th March 2007, 18:28
see i told you guys "not yet" !! if automag don't have ria in 40 cal that means its not available here in the us of a!!!

Longslide
25th March 2007, 18:51
THE RIA does come in 40 cal single and double stack???? :confused:

vikz
25th March 2007, 18:56
just check the website and it is listed asM1911-A2-40 FSB

Cal. 40 S&W, full size hi-capacity, 15+1 capacity, ramp type bull barrel, extended slide stop, double slide serration, blued finish

vikz
25th March 2007, 18:57
automag we know you have one just show as the pics already :D :D :D

Longslide
25th March 2007, 19:01
Auto mag may have one in single stack - they were made in double stack cause I have THREE. (no single stack)

vikz
25th March 2007, 19:03
longslide just for fun can we see some pics pls

Longslide
25th March 2007, 19:17
RIA /ARMSCOR 40 cal 1911A2 (the bottom pic is the 40 cal)
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h276/old-lefty/RIA-ARMSCOR%20PISTOLS/PICT0762.jpg

HC Medallion widebody 40 cal
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h276/old-lefty/PICT0125.jpg

ARMSCOR MEDALLION 40 cal
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h276/old-lefty/PICT0177.jpg

another pic different angle
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h276/old-lefty/PICT0063.jpg

BETTER PIC OF THE 40 CAL ARMSCOR BLUED. (not medallion)
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h276/old-lefty/1911COLLECTION015.jpg

wdl
25th March 2007, 19:32
Longslide is correct, we do not make (for now ;) ) the caliber .40's in single stack.

:) willie

Longslide
25th March 2007, 19:35
Well it use to come in single stack cause I had a chance to get one and passed :mad:

Auto Mag
25th March 2007, 20:22
Longslide, great pictures, I knew that you would come thru with some!!!! :) :)

Actually I do not have a 40 from Armscor or RIA. :(

Longslide
25th March 2007, 20:28
give Ivan a call - he has some Medallions two toned in 40 cal.

Auto Mag
25th March 2007, 20:36
give Ivan a call - he has some Medallions two toned in 40 cal.

Will do my friend!!! :D :D

Longslide
25th March 2007, 21:11
Auto Mag
I did not see that you had mad the previous post. Did you hook up with Ivan about you know what yet???

vikz
26th March 2007, 01:49
longslide thanks they do look nice!!what have you change since you got it ??(the ria 40)just trying to stick to the topic..

Longslide
26th March 2007, 09:38
Thanks for the kudos!

The only thing I have done is shoot them!! :D

I did change the stock grips on the Armcor 40 cal to Pierce wraparound grips.

Very fine pistols at a great price too. Nothing better than ripping the center circle on a target with a $400.00 pistol - standing next to another person with there $3000 Wislon , or Ed Brown not doing as well!!! :lm:

Porteza
5th May 2007, 21:57
Hi Sir Longslide,

I'm relatively new in this forum, and I've been browsing through the Armscor forum thread for reviews about the Armscor .40 high-cap. I've recently purchased it, but the papers are still being processed, and will take about 4-6 weeks before the unit gets released (that's a very loooooooooooooooooong wait!!! I'm already itching to get it.) I want t make sure I made the right choice. Previously, I was considering the Llama (parts are not that available), and the Imperial Defense (I've read negative reviews about it). I just want to ask your personal opinion about the pistol; reliability, accuracy, and overall performance.

Thanks!!!!

India0311
5th May 2007, 22:37
I've read that the pressures and whatnot of the .40S&W don't lend itself to the wonderful 1911 design

I've heard the same.

This is a "Boot" question...but if the .40 is questionable for the 1911...why does the .38 super work so well?

Lance1955
5th May 2007, 22:58
Always a fan of the 1911. And a proud owner of a Rock. I had a chace a couple of years ago to pick up a (dont fring) a CZ40B in 40 cal, double stack. They no longer make this gun. I later purchased the last model with nite sights. But its appeal to me was that it was based on the 1911 frame design. The pistols was made in co-development with Colt. Colt later scrapped the project and any remainder models were renamed under the CZ name vs colts 40Z. Although its a fine weapon and I enjoy it, I'd rather run 200 rounds though the Rock. The Cz is a great gun, but imop 40's dont have that smooth kick like a 45. I own a couple of 40 and a couple of 45's. I myself, would go hands down with the 45 for carry or target :) I think there is too much twist when you fire a 40 if you ask me. But thats just me. Go with what you like.

Longslide
5th May 2007, 23:22
Porteza

WELCOME TO THE FORUM AND THE WORLD OF 1911'S :D :D
Where are you that you have to wait 6 weeks - yikes Man oh man.

Well the Armscor 40 cal widebody that I have is a sweet shooter. I has run 100% and is very accurate.

The bottom is the 40 cal widebody.
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h276/old-lefty/RIA-ARMSCOR%20PISTOLS/PICT0762.jpg
I think this a target from a range trip with the 40 cal Armscor. It is from one of the 40cal's any way my experiece is GREAT SHOOTERS!!!!
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h276/old-lefty/PICT0121.jpg

Let us know when you get yours. I trust it will be a good shooter as well. :)

Porteza
6th May 2007, 10:41
Hello Sir Longslide,

Thanks for sharing your photos of your armscor and target paper after a day at the range. If I may ask, from what distance did you shoot your pistol?

I am from the Philippines, and it is election season now. The election gun ban is up until late June of this year. That is why the Phil. National Police is strict in releasing firearm licences now. The unit is ready, but what would take long is the processing of the papers.

Anyway, thanks for all the help. Also, I want to share with you guys some pictures of my RR M1911A1. Not in its most original form though, with grips changed already, and the frame already chromed. I inherited this from my dad.

Thanks!!! Be safe always!!!

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t239/porteza/Guns/Photo_041207_002.jpg

Cap
6th May 2007, 11:06
nice looking!

Welcome

..L.T.A.

Longslide
6th May 2007, 11:19
Very nice looking blaster you have there!

The target was at about 30 feet.

Porteza
6th May 2007, 11:25
thanks again for the comments....long live the 1911!!!

Pistolero
10th May 2007, 00:24
Hi Guys,

Newbie here :D

I am using an ARMSCOR .40 wide body here in the Phils. for IPSC matches. She's been with me since 2003 and been to some matches with minor problems.

The only major problem I had with her was an incident of kaboom! Due to a bad case of bulged ammo :scared: did not touch her for quite a while, but got over that now.

Here's a picture of my baby.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a254/CanonA70/DSC_0206.jpg

wdl
10th May 2007, 01:37
Looks like an Armscor Medallion to me.
Glad you posted your piece Sir Pistolero. ;)

Pistolero
10th May 2007, 07:51
Looks like an Armscor Medallion to me.
Glad you posted your piece Sir Pistolero. ;)

Sorry to disappoint you sir Willie, but she's just an ordinary ARMSCOR wide body in .40 when i got her.

She had her first date with my gunsmith instead of me for her make over :D

Porteza
10th May 2007, 07:54
Sir Pistolero,

Nice piece...Did you have the frame of yor Armscor widebody chromed? I am waiting for my .40 widebody. I paid for the processing fees already, and the unit will be released by Mid June. Can't wait to have it in my hands...

Sir,question. Did you get injured when your gun went KABOOM??? I've been reading a lot of horror sotries about guns going kaboom, and it intimidates me, since I am nwe to the hobby...

Thanks!!!

Pistolero
10th May 2007, 08:13
Sir Pistolero,

Nice piece...Did you have the frame of yor Armscor widebody chromed? I am waiting for my .40 widebody. I paid for the processing fees already, and the unit will be released by Mid June. Can't wait to have it in my hands...

Sir,question. Did you get injured when your gun went KABOOM??? I've been reading a lot of horror sotries about guns going kaboom, and it intimidates me, since I am nwe to the hobby...

Thanks!!!

Thank you sir, getting her chromed was one of her make over. First thing I'd advice you is to break her in with about 200 rounds of fmj, keep the shells and have them reloaded for your next date with your gal to the range :D

Before the kaboom :scared: incident happened to me, I also heard stories about that happening to other more experienced shooter's and also with more expensive gun's. So, i was quite careful in placing my left hand clear of the ejection port and tilting the gun on her right side. Fortunately, I came out of the range without a scratch but with a bruised ego :D

One more piece of advice I will share with you is to guage all your ammo and discard all bad bulged ammo.

HTH

Porteza
10th May 2007, 08:32
Thanks for the advice, sir pistolero...Well, in my case, I will have to keep my right thumb away from the ejection port, since I am a lefty...

I'll keep in my mind your tips, sir. Re: the break in, some say that 100 rounds of FMJ will suffice....Now I am confused...

Pistolero
10th May 2007, 09:27
Thanks for the advice, sir pistolero...Well, in my case, I will have to keep my right thumb away from the ejection port, since I am a lefty...

I'll keep in my mind your tips, sir. Re: the break in, some say that 100 rounds of FMJ will suffice....Now I am confused...

I guess 100 rounds will do. But for me the more the merrier, but hey that's just me ;)

sprice1973
10th May 2007, 13:33
I have not had the oppurtunity to shoot the .40 through a 1911 frame.I do have a Glock model 22 .40,and have found the recoil to be a bit harsh compared to any of my full size 1911,s .I think I seen a saying some where on the forum saying(Friends dont let friends use tupperware)!

LVSHOOTER
10th May 2007, 14:21
Hey guys, Ray here at RIA. We currently don't make a 40sw or 9mm 1911. "CURRENTLY" There are some Armscor guns floating around though. In IPSC it's common to see 40sw single stack guns.

No the caliber thing. This is probably going to light this thread up like a Christmas tree but here goes. All handgun calibers until you get into the stuff nobody in their right mind would carry do the same thing... They punch holes in stuff. Shot placement and penetration. You can argue all you want... :dead_hors One of the country's most recent tradgedies was commited with a 9mm and 22.
:butthead:

It ain't the arrow it's the Indian.

wdl
10th May 2007, 19:59
Sir Ray is right. Currently, we do not ship the cal.40 and the cal.9mm to the US market.
These variants are only available here in Philippines (with "Armscor" markings) and commonly seen in IPSC matches.

ArmscorBA
10th May 2007, 20:54
;) ;) ;) ;)
Willie, Ray!!!
Ivan

.45addict
10th May 2007, 21:49
I don't mean to sound "smart" or offend anyone but, what is the point of a 1911 in anything other than .45ACP? I personally won't consider anything less than .45 caliber in any handgun IMOH.

Pistolero
10th May 2007, 22:53
Do they sell 40's in single stack there in the U.S.?

I've been wondering for quite sometime when will ARMSCOR come out with the 40's in single stack. Been contemplating in purchasing one here in the Phil's but until now they have not offered it in the market. :confused:

Cap
10th May 2007, 23:01
I don't mean to sound "smart" or offend anyone but, what is the point of a 1911 in anything other than .45ACP? I personally won't consider anything less than .45 caliber in any handgun IMOH.

I don't think you're being a wise guy, 45A.
Different strokes for different folks

I'll share why I would consider a 1911 in another cal
(most notabley 9mm)
Cause I like the 1911 platform and enjoy shooting it.
9mm ammo is nearley half the cost of 45.
Soooo..... a fella could shoot nearly twice as many rounds for the $ame money

...L.T.A.

wdl
11th May 2007, 03:07
Do they sell 40's in single stack there in the U.S.?

I've been wondering for quite sometime when will ARMSCOR come out with the 40's in single stack. Been contemplating in purchasing one here in the Phil's but until now they have not offered it in the market. :confused:
For now, we can only offer the cal.40 in A2.

.45addict
11th May 2007, 09:47
I don't think you're being a wise guy, 45A.
Different strokes for different folks

I'll share why I would consider a 1911 in another cal
(most notabley 9mm)
Cause I like the 1911 platform and enjoy shooting it.
9mm ammo is nearley half the cost of 45.
Soooo..... a fella could shoot nearly twice as many rounds for the $ame money

...L.T.A.

Hey, Cap, I concur on the cost of .45acp ammo. If you reload you can cut the cost considerably. Or shoot .22 rimfire, now that's cheap fun! My statement about handgun caliber preference is about self defense/home protection. And I just really like large caliber anything.

SLM
11th May 2007, 10:13
For now, we can only offer the cal.40 in A2.

Sounds like that would be a nice gun and something different to shoot in USPSA Limited/Limited 10 to boot!

Cap
11th May 2007, 14:31
Hey, Cap, I concur on the cost of .45acp ammo. If you reload you can cut the cost considerably. Or shoot .22 rimfire, now that's cheap fun! My statement about handgun caliber preference is about self defense/home protection. And I just really like large caliber anything.

Gottya, Bro.

I just bought a progressive press to play with ;)

22's are all'ite, I guess.
However, I prefer something with a little more "bite" when I'm playin'.
That's why I haven't considered a 22 conversion.

I'm with you on the 45 for a defense cal.
I have 3 pistols chambered in 45 auto
I happen to love 357mag too.
If my rich uncle in the poor farm dies and leaves me some dough, I'd like to have that 8 shot S&W 327 for a carry gun.

Yea I know the cylinder makes it wider than most autos, but I'm still "old school" about defense carry and near bullet proof reliability under stress.
90% of the time my CCW is an Airweight revolver stoked with 38+P.
If I figured to be in a combat situtation, I'd opt for a hi-cap auto

It's all good to me

..L.T.A.