PDA

View Full Version : Commander size 9mm 1911?

MLee
30th January 2007, 14:14
I wonder if anyone currently manufactures a true Commander length (4.25”bbl) 1911 in 9mm? I have done a preliminary search and STI comes closest with 4.15”. I am sure you could get one of the custom houses to build almost anything you want, but I was looking for a manufacturer that had a standard offering of a true Commander size 9mm 1911. If anyone has a lead, I would much appreciate it. Thanks for any input.

Mike

BOB
30th January 2007, 20:46
Check With Nighthawk Custom .

Bob

Thekidc
31st January 2007, 23:19
Bob is right. I have a Talon II in 9mm on order from Nighthawk Custom which is a true commander length. I checked on the web and was not able to find anyone else who manufactures a commander length in 9mm. I thought Wilson might. They don't seem to advertise 9mm on their website. Other than that a shot at gunbroker or gunsamerica for a Colt Commander in 9mm might be a possibility.

John
1st February 2007, 02:57
LoRL, I am trying to convince some manufacturers that there is a need for a true Commander-length pistol, in the market. So far, I haven't heard anything promising.

MLee
1st February 2007, 08:36
The true Commander-length pistol is a perfect base for the 9mm, IMHO. Of course, I tend to be partial to the Commander size 1911 and 9mm would be so much cheaper to shoot than .45 ACP. There have been so many remodels of the 4.25" Commander design (Kimber 4", STI 4.15", et. al.), but I think Colt got it right the first time - 4.25" - it's aesthetically pleasing and has a certain symmetry that the other lengths lack. I realize that the Commander and full size come in .38 Super, which is close to the 9mm, but it's more of a specialty round and is expensive. The 9mm is ubiquitous and is relatively inexpensive to shoot. John, I hope your successful in convincing a manufacturer to take the first step. I for one would buy one. The 9mm has been very good for Sig, H&K, and many others. Just my .02

Mike

GaryVS
1st February 2007, 09:44
I have a Wilson Professional in 9mm that is an outstanding pistol. However, I would certainly prefer that it be 4.25" instead of the 4.1" ....

Nighthawk does, indeed, make the Talon II in 9mm, and it's a true Commander size.

Jim 1855
3rd February 2007, 22:26
Les Baer and Rock River have 9mms Commander (4.25") sized guns listed. Caspian builds the slides if you want a custom build.

I found 4" listings on the Wilson web page. I believe that they also have 4.25" guns but didn't find a specific listing.

Ed Brown builds Commander length guns as does Sig.

Jim

MLee
4th February 2007, 10:38
I was unable to find a 4.25" Commander size 1911 in 9mm on Rock River's site, but then it's probably my unfamiliarity with the site. I was hoping to find a 4.25" offering in 9mm from one of the major mass producers, such as Springfield, Colt, Kimber, etc. Maybe we can convince Colt to give it one more try with the Combat Commander, or maybe I can get lucky at a gun show. :)

Mike

Jim 1855
4th February 2007, 11:04
Here's the RRA 45acp gun. Call them and ask if they'll build it in 9mm.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=PS2200&storeid=1&image=pec.gif

I saw the 9mm guns listed and 4.250" slides. Thought that they'd do it, might be wrong. Phone calls are cheap and easy, never hurts to ask.

I'd call Les Baer too.

Otherwise call Bill Laughridge at Cylinder & Slide he's a master at building what you want. Trust me I know. Tell him Jim the Cobra guy told you to call.

Jim

Tank92
4th February 2007, 11:05
MLee,
Kimber is offering their Aegis model (9MM) in all of their sizes (3,4 and 5) for 2007, you wont find it on their websit except for in press releases and in their new material brochure

John
4th February 2007, 11:32
No large manufacturer is currently offering a 9mm Commander (4.25") pistol. So you will have to look in the custom or semi-custom makers to find one, or browse the gun shows and the on-line auction sites for an old Colt Commander in 9mm. Not easy!

I've drawn the attention of a couple of people to this thread, maybe they'll listen.

MLee
4th February 2007, 11:47
No large manufacturer is currently offering a 9mm Commander (4.25") pistol. So you will have to look in the custom or semi-custom makers to find one, or browse the gun shows and the on-line auction sites for an old Colt Commander in 9mm. Not easy!

I've drawn the attention of a couple of people to this thread, maybe they'll listen.

Thanks to everyone for your input. I know the custom and semi-custom houses can build just about anything you want within reason and some not within reason. John, I have come to the same conclusion regarding the large manufacturers - I was only hoping that I might have missed an obscure offering some where. The larger manufacturers offer .40 S&W, so why not 9mm? The 9mm is more ubiquitous than the .40 S&W, not only in the USA, but especially the rest of the world. John I hope your contacts will listen and put together a true 4.25" Commander size offering in 9mm. I for one think they are missing a good bet on this one. What's not to like, 1911 style, Commander size, and all that savings in practice ammo? :D

Mike

lindermant
10th February 2007, 16:24
MLee,

I like your thinking - the 9mm Commander is just so right...

http://mysite.verizon.net/tlinderman/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/dsc01818.jpg

email sent also!

MLee
11th February 2007, 08:55
Very nice 9mm Commander. You've got at least a couple of us drooling.

Mike

John
11th February 2007, 09:36
I have to be extra careful these days. I am using a notebook, and drooling can be expensive in this arrangement. A keyboard is cheap but a notebook......

I am out of here, before the inevitable happens.

MLee
13th February 2007, 15:24
Another couple of reasons to bring back the 9mm Commander: 1) The Commander size was originally designed for the 9mm, and 2) Since we are currently using the 9mm as the caliber of choice for our troops (albeit in a vastly inferior platform) one would think that there would be a market for the 9mm Commander with our troops as they return. Just a couple more reasons for the re-birth of a fine weapon.

Mike