PDA

View Full Version : What is the most 'reliable' 1911?

Cactus
14th August 2006, 14:37
Ok guys, this is a very, (to me) "valid question." Please allow me to expound a second. "This is NOT a rant/rave thread!" ;)

I love 1911's, I have tried Kimber/SA. All of which i have had 'nothing but trouble.' Send to the factory, twice a piece, go to the gunsmith, more money, shoot "2,000 rds," through Kimber (ball ammo) still not reliable, sold the SA yesterday, fed up with it etc...

I simple wonder, is there such a thing as a 1911, you can carry in "nasty town," and have 100% confidence that your gun will work ?

I'll cover these bases, 'to save time.' I'm 55 years old, been shooting since i was 11 years old, i know how to hold and fire the guns, i am in, and from a long line of gun shooters/sportsman, in the huge family on my side and inlaws side, ...It ain't me! :D

I just can't seem to find one that 'does not' have malfunctions , and need gunsmiths, and factory send off's, every time i turn around.

I know this is not the kind of thread that is real 'uplifting', ha. But i really could use some input here. I'm not jinxed, don't believe in bad luck, and, "NONE" of my other handguns/rifles/shotguns, give me any trouble.

WHEW!

Best i can do for ya! :D

Is there a 1911, that i man can carry, and 'trust his life to'? OR, do you just have to buy one, and keep going to a smith spending money until it 'finally' works.?

I KNOW, "many" of you have 1911's that 'never' hiccup. I am happy for you! ;) But this 'is not' the experience i am having.

So what would you suggest, out side of some 1,000/2,000 $ gun, that is a reliable gun, or "what do i do to esure it will be reliable" ?

Many Thanks!
Very weary, and getting very "broke." :(

Cactus

Joni Lynn
14th August 2006, 14:46
I would suggest find the gun you like and then send it to Bob Rodgers for his reliability package after which I doubt it will ever cause problems again.

jridg
14th August 2006, 14:59
A decent full-size 1911 (SA or any really) that is mil-spec or close should feed ball without hiccup 'all the time'.

Remeber, that you need to maintain the weapon for it to work properly. That means replacing springs when recommended and occasionally sending it in for work as it wears and requires that work. It's a tool and tools must be cared for.

My micro compact has issues with some ammo. I learned that and chose a carry ammo that is 100% reliable. That being said - the micro is a 3" barrell gun. It has all of the 'issues' inherent in the change to that size weapon. Recently, I had a malfunction (While cleaning of all things). SA made it right by immediately sending a replacement for the broken part. I make the choice to carry a 3" 1911 - I have found ammo that works 100% of the time - this is a combination that I trust.

I have very little experience with other manufacturers. I cannot comment on how they perform. All I can say is that you need to find what works for you - you need to learn the quirks of each weapon and either accept them and adjust for them, or find a new 'tool'. Is there a 100% reliable 1911 that will cover 100% of the situations you will encounter? I have no idea. All you can do is decide which is best for you..........

Cactus
14th August 2006, 16:09
I would suggest find the gun you like and then send it to Bob Rodgers for his reliability package after which I doubt it will ever cause problems again.

Thank you Joni, how do i contact this guy?

Cactus

Cactus
14th August 2006, 16:23
A decent full-size 1911 (SA or any really) that is mil-spec or close should feed ball without hiccup 'all the time'.

Remeber, that you need to maintain the weapon for it to work properly. That means replacing springs when recommended and occasionally sending it in for work as it wears and requires that work. It's a tool and tools must be cared for.

My micro compact has issues with some ammo. I learned that and chose a carry ammo that is 100% reliable. That being said - the micro is a 3" barrell gun. It has all of the 'issues' inherent in the change to that size weapon. Recently, I had a malfunction (While cleaning of all things). SA made it right by immediately sending a replacement for the broken part. I make the choice to carry a 3" 1911 - I have found ammo that works 100% of the time - this is a combination that I trust.

I have very little experience with other manufacturers. I cannot comment on how they perform. All I can say is that you need to find what works for you - you need to learn the quirks of each weapon and either accept them and adjust for them, or find a new 'tool'. Is there a 100% reliable 1911 that will cover 100% of the situations you will encounter? I have no idea. All you can do is decide which is best for you..........

You are correct i saying...
"A decent full-size 1911 (SA or any really) that is mil-spec or close should feed ball without hiccup 'all the time'. "

I just cannot find one! ;)

As far as "maintaining the gun".. I do that, with ALL my guns, as far as lube, cleaning springs tuning etc... Still cannot find a 1911 that works without smithing, and then they still don't work.......

I use Ball ammo from Reminton, Winchester, and my reloads, which work better than the former, so that is not the problem.. I use the 230 gr. Rem GS for carry, which 'should feed' flawlessly.

Again, whether i shoot them or someone else, they have waaay to many issues. I don't know if this is very sorry QC on the guns, or i am just not finding the right one?

I have a hard time thinking we have to buy a gun, then get a reliability package on it, (and thanks again Joni), for the info... but the guns should work out of the box, like my glocks , revolvers, and even my T.V. or micro-wave oven. It just doesn't make since to spend a bunch of $$$$ on a gun, only to send it right off to someone to "make it work." Frustrated? Yes!

I do not want to give up on the 1911's, but i am really running out of $$$ and patients with guns that ALL have ftf's fte's, ftrtb, etc... "No matter what mags you use, what ammo, or what you do...

That is why i ask, is there a 1911 out there, that does not need all this stuff done all the time? I have not found it yet. ;)

Cactus

Hunter
14th August 2006, 16:35
I can answer this question with one word. Colt. There is none better. I will be glad to elaborate but it is one of those I can show you better than I can tell you things. You might give them a try and I feel sure you will not have the problems you have been having. I have a modest collection of Colts and not a one has ever given me trouble that was a fault of the pistol itself (a few out of spec reloads my fault and a cheap wore out magazine again my fault)

littledoc
14th August 2006, 17:33
Yeah, I agree with Hunter, but add S&W to the mix. They may be new to 1911s but they seem to work well.

Hersh
14th August 2006, 18:16
Thank you Joni, how do i contact this guy?

Cactus

Cactus,

Personally, I believe any company can occasionally let a bad one get past QC.

About two months ago I sent Bob a Commander that was giving me fits. This thread will tell you all about it and also contains a link to his sight. http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=16883&highlight=rodgers

Bob's a great guy ... tell him Alan from Little Rock sent you!

Alan

Hawkmoon
14th August 2006, 18:19
IMHO, the more basic pistols are the more reliable. These days, pretty much any new Colt will be close to 100% reliable with any ammo you throw at it. In our recent test of the new Para-Ordnance pocket pistol, it was 100% reliable no matter what I stuffed into it. We are currently testing a new Nighthawk (which is in a different price category), and so far it hasn't missed a beat, either.

My recommendation is to avoid the guns that are built (and advertised) for accuracy. They gain accuracy by tightening up on tolerances, and when the tolerances get too tight, reliability suffers. I won't buy a gun from someone who tells me I "need" to shoot 500/1000/xxxx rounds to "break it in." That requires time, and money. I'm buying a pistol to defend myself and my family. If it won't do that out of the box, I don't want it.

In the automotive world, they have "lemon laws." If a car won't run as it's supposed to, the manufacturer has to refund your money. As a consequence, they try to make certain the cars run right. Pistol manufacturers should take a page out of the same book.

Joni Lynn
14th August 2006, 18:21
http://www.rodgerspistolsmithing.com/
I had him do a Govt model series 70 and it really turned out great.

Blackhawk
14th August 2006, 18:23
COLT...accept no substitutes. I have never had a problem with any of my factory guns but if this did present a concern I would recommend sending the gun to Wilson Combat in Berryville, AR for reliablity package. This is not to say that I have not seen other manufacturers who are capable of producing a quality gun on the contrary I have seen alot of good guns in 1911 format including Springfield Armory, STI, Kimber, and even Rock Island Armory which is by far the most inexpensive 1911 I am aware of but I have never personally seen a Colt that failed to go bang.

Cactus
14th August 2006, 19:04
IMHO, the more basic pistols are the more reliable. These days, pretty much any new Colt will be close to 100% reliable with any ammo you throw at it. In our recent test of the new Para-Ordnance pocket pistol, it was 100% reliable no matter what I stuffed into it. We are currently testing a new Nighthawk (which is in a different price category), and so far it hasn't missed a beat, either.

My recommendation is to avoid the guns that are built (and advertised) for accuracy. They gain accuracy by tightening up on tolerances, and when the tolerances get too tight, reliability suffers. I won't buy a gun from someone who tells me I "need" to shoot 500/1000/xxxx rounds to "break it in." That requires time, and money. I'm buying a pistol to defend myself and my family. If it won't do that out of the box, I don't want it.

In the automotive world, they have "lemon laws." If a car won't run as it's supposed to, the manufacturer has to refund your money. As a consequence, they try to make certain the cars run right. Pistol manufacturers should take a page out of the same book.

[QUOTE=I won't buy a gun from someone who tells me I "need" to shoot 500/1000/xxxx rounds to "break it in." That requires time, and money. I'm buying a pistol to defend myself and my family. If it won't do that out of the box, I don't want it.

In the automotive world, they have "lemon laws." If a car won't run as it's supposed to, the manufacturer has to refund your money. As a consequence, they try to make certain the cars run right. Pistol manufacturers should take a page out of the same book.[/QUOTE]

BINGO!

Hawk, this is where i am coming from here. The Kimber people did not want to help at all, every call was..."just shoot more ammo!" The SA folks were the kindess folks on the planet to deal with, but, sad to say, after all the sending, and all the new parts, and etc, etc, It still would not function hardly at all.. It is now gone, and the Kimber is back the 4th time now, for a fix.

Being a VET, you know, that reliability packages were not handed out to those in several wars, carrying 1911's, sure things can happen, their made by man, but good lands, telling folks to shoot a cazillion rds. "then it will work," is ridiulous, and as you said costly... even reloading, i can not afford the time, and money in doing all this. As isaid, i have yet to find a 1911, that works from the box, and 'does not' have to go to the factory, or a smith.'

Now, i am not 'combatting' what you suggested concerning colt. But even the several smiths i've talked to said Kimber and Colt were in the shop for repair more than anythng else... What do i know, man i am just a consumer. I refuse to give up, cause Ruger revolvers, and 1911's are my passion, as far as handguns go, but $$$ is getting to be in real short supply.

If i go and buy a $629.00 Colt NIB 1991 A1, plain Jane, are we saying these will run , or hopefully will? I am not being smart, honestly. Just really burned out with repairs send backs, smiths, on everything i buy, (1911) wise!

I cannot , or rather not, spend 8/9/1,000 dollars on a gun, so i don't know which colt to get for sure. I have dumped all the glocks except a G20 10mm, so i could get back to the 1911's i used to own years ago, (which were all colts BTW, and i never had ONE problem with any of them), BUT, seems like In this day and age, things aren't built the same.

I'm listening, and i take all suggestions seriously.

I am very greatful to all y'all who shared thus far.. everyone, Thanks!

Cactus

Hunter
14th August 2006, 19:26
I think the Colt will do as you expected. I know three gunsmiths and am friends with two and as I hear them tell it Colts are by far the least in for repair (as far as malfunction now abuse is another story) Yes Colts break and yes I am sure there have been some that were bad pistols out the box but I am positive it is not near the amount of the other manufactures (who have been making them not near as long). One thing I do know for sure Colt will stand behind their firearms in the event of a problem. It won't be a "shoot it more" answer. Mass production goods will have flaws (that is the nature of the beast) but the Colt has been around (by far) the longest and still has a great reputation. I am convinced of that.

Cactus
14th August 2006, 20:19
I think the Colt will do as you expected. I know three gunsmiths and am friends with two and as I hear them tell it Colts are by far the least in for repair (as far as malfunction now abuse is another story) Yes Colts break and yes I am sure there have been some that were bad pistols out the box but I am positive it is not near the amount of the other manufactures (who have been making them not near as long). One thing I do know for sure Colt will stand behind their firearms in the event of a problem. It won't be a "shoot it more" answer. Mass production goods will have flaws (that is the nature of the beast) but the Colt has been around (by far) the longest and still has a great reputation. I am convinced of that.

Well, Hunter, it is refreshing to hear that i would not get the ..."You need 5,000 more rds through it syndrome!" ha.

I guess, unless i get aton of response here other wise, i will try a colt. Again, any suggestions as to some top prefferance's on the Colts...Let me say this, i do not like alloy frames, so we can weed that one out. ;)

Man i started to by a 3 1/2" Ruger Vaquero sheriffs model 45LC to wear in a shoulder rig, just to "know" i have a 'working gun.' All my 'ranch guns' out here are Ruger big bores, and they serve well for everything. But they are a tad hard to carry concealed, when we do get to the big city! :D

Joni, i am fixin to look up this ole boys website you suggsted, thanks again!

Y'all don't give up on me here yet, i am still all ears. ;)

Cactus

Joni Lynn
14th August 2006, 20:25
All ears? Wanna buy 20 pairs of matching ear rings?
My gun is on page two of Bob's site about half way down. It turned out a lot different than what was originally planned but I'm still quite happy with it.
It was going to be hard chrome, but ended up in black envirotech instead due to the poor condition of the metal after stripping the nickel off.

Rio Vista Slim
14th August 2006, 20:27
Cactus,
I bought my first 1911-type handgun in the mid 1970s. It was a satin/nickel Colt Combat Commander. I subsequently purchased two Series 70 Government models, a Gold Cup National Match, and a blue Commander.

Fast forward to 2006 (past two divorces that liquidated the Colts), and I am once again in possession of two (re-issue) Series 70 Government Models and a LW XSE Commander.

Those eight Colts were/are responsible for exactly ZERO malfunctions, of any kind, EVER! I maintain them well, as you have said that you do with your guns. I make sure to "feed" them quality ammunition. I take pains to make sure that my magazines are up to the task for which they were designed.

In short, I believe that, of all the brands that are currently available, Colt makes the most reliable, out-of-the-box 1911, of any manufacturer in existence.

Baldy
14th August 2006, 20:46
Try a S&W scanium sc in the officer model and you will be OK, plus you will not have to break your piggy bank.

Cactus
14th August 2006, 20:58
All ears? Wanna buy 20 pairs of matching ear rings?
My gun is on page two of Bob's site about half way down. It turned out a lot different than what was originally planned but I'm still quite happy with it.
It was going to be hard chrome, but ended up in black envirotech instead due to the poor condition of the metal after stripping the nickel off.

Joni, first of all, i think i'll pass on the ear rings, thanks! I think my wife would leave me, my horse would run off into the sunset, and i would have to fight all the hired hands on the ranch, (and not cause they wanted them)! :D

I'm not real sure which gun was yours on Bob's sight, but they all looked great. ;)

Cactus

Hunter
14th August 2006, 21:06
Cactus I am also a big fan of Ruger wheelguns (I have a few of them and my Ruger GP 100 serves as back up for home defense). I am also with you on the alloy frames I am not very fond of them. If you are looking into a relatively inexpensive Colt the 1991A1 line is a great place to start and up from there to the Series 70 reissue and then to then Gold Cup Trophy. I am sure anyone will serve you well and if in the off chance something goes wrong Kathy at Colt is great to deal with. I doubt you would have any trouble. I have never had to "break in" any of my Colts but a few hundred rounds will help you get the feel for her. Good luck and please let us know what you decide. http://www.coltsmfg.com/cmci/home.asp

Cactus
14th August 2006, 21:08
Cactus,
I bought my first 1911-type handgun in the mid 1970s. It was a satin/nickel Colt Combat Commander. I subsequently purchased two Series 70 Government models, a Gold Cup National Match, and a blue Commander.

Fast forward to 2006 (past two divorces that liquidated the Colts), and I am once again in possession of two (re-issue) Series 70 Government Models and a LW XSE Commander.

Those eight Colts were/are responsible for exactly ZERO malfunctions, of any kind, EVER! I maintain them well, as you have said that you do with your guns. I make sure to "feed" them quality ammunition. I take pains to make sure that my magazines are up to the task for which they were designed.

In short, I believe that, of all the brands that are currently available, Colt makes the most reliable, out-of-the-box 1911, of any manufacturer in existence.

Rio, my Texas cousin.
Well, that is a very impressive record indeed.

I noticed "series 70" keeps popping up all through the thread, and else where on the forum as well. The several Colts i owned in the past, (i should have kept), were all series 80. SO, if i go out and get an 80, am i any worse or better off.?

Again, all my questions, are to learn, and very sincere. I could start my own website on the "Ruger revolver," and other hoglegs, but i am desperatly trying to learn on the 1911's. I know some, but not NEAR enough.

I made the statement a moment ago, to "weed out" alloy frames, well although i would rather go ALL steel, i will listen to the advice here, even if it is for alloy.

Isn't there a light weight commander xse??? did i say that right?

Despite Joni's ear ring joke, lets say, "I am listening!" :D

Thanks Rio, "and" everyone.

Cactus

Cactus
14th August 2006, 21:54
Cactus I am also a big fan of Ruger wheelguns (I have a few of them and my Ruger GP 100 serves as back up for home defense). I am also with you on the alloy frames I am not very fond of them. If you are looking into a relatively inexpensive Colt the 1991A1 line is a great place to start and up from there to the Series 70 reissue and then to then Gold Cup Trophy. I am sure anyone will serve you well and if in the off chance something goes wrong Kathy at Colt is great to deal with. I doubt you would have any trouble. I have never had to "break in" any of my Colts but a few hundred rounds will help you get the feel for her. Good luck and please let us know what you decide. http://www.coltsmfg.com/cmci/home.asp

Hunter, i have One of my Ruger Vaqueros in my cowboy rig, hangin on the post of my log bed. It is a 45LC 4 5/8" barrel. Ready for anything in the night, (which out in these parts), would most likely be a cougar after something, or a bobcat after the smaller stuff. Yet it is ready for morning, to slap on, and go out to start the day.

Thanks for the Colt link, the input, and dropping Kathy's name in there as well. ;)

Cactus

Blackhawk
14th August 2006, 21:55
Another vote for S70/S80 Gold Cups.

Cactus
14th August 2006, 21:57
Another vote for S70/S80 Gold Cups.

But aren't the GC's the ones with the adjustable target type sights, or am i wrong here?

I wouldn't want that for a carry piece, although, i am 'sure' it is an excellent gun.

Thanks Blackhawk !

Cactus

Hunter
14th August 2006, 22:16
The Series 70 is a little easier to detail strip but I really see no disadvantage to the Series 80. I am not very familiar with alloy frame so I cannot say but I prefer steel myself. The Gold Cup Trophy does have adjustable sights but that really does not hinder me carrying mine. I also carry a Colt Compact with fixed sights from time to time. I reckon it is what you get used too.

Hunter
14th August 2006, 22:22
Cactus this is a little off topic but I figured since you are a cowboy you would appreciate my Colt Cowboy in .45 LC
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/Hunter1911/8.jpg

jridg
14th August 2006, 22:29
My Micro has been flawless with my chosen carry ammo since new. I don't know what the deal is with problems these days - perhaps I have been lucky - my Champion SS has also been flawless since new - even more ammo choices than the micro - again - my experience........

Cactus
14th August 2006, 22:46
Cactus this is a little off topic but I figured since you are a cowboy you would appreciate my Colt Cowboy in .45 LC
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/Hunter1911/8.jpg

Well Hoss, i tell ya, i'm always for lookin at a pretty lady such as in your above pic! ;) Very nice Hunter!

I do love the Colt six guns as well, just carry the Rugers more often, because of their strength to handle my heavy reloads... The Colt, is for Sunday go to meetin! ;)

Back to the series 70/80. I do not see many series 70's when ever i get to Ft. Worth for a gun show, but plenty of 'plain jane' series 80's, and the LT. WT. commanders, and even the 38 super's. 'Forgetting alloy' for now, what would 'you,' and anyone else reading on here, suggest in the series 80 platform, that is all steel?

And, is the "only real difference" between the two, less parts, and the firing pin safety?

Thanks.

Cactus

Hunter
14th August 2006, 23:00
The original Series 70 had a collet barrel bushing vs the solid barrel bushing in the Series 80. the Series 70 reissue have the solid bushing. after that the only real difference is yes the 4 extra parts in the firing pin safety. There is nothing wrong with the Series 80 firing pin safety and if can have it's advantages. I think for the money it would be hard to beat the 1991A1 Colt in .45 ACP or .38 Super. The .38 Super is a little hotter than the .45 ACP but I believe the .45 ACP a better manstopper due to it's size and weight. I have one in both calibers and both have worked very well but for all around defense I think I would go with the .45 ACP. Thanks for the kind words on my Colt wheelgun. She is more of a lady. You are correct about the Ruger frame being stronger than the Colt in a wheelgun and my camp/trail pistol is my Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 mag. She has really been a good one.

OD*
14th August 2006, 23:07
And, is the "only real difference" between the two, less parts, and the firing pin safety?
Pretty much amigo. I have a few of both the 70s & 80s, it is a non-issue with me.

Now, I'm gonna go against the grain here.
If I were to buy a Commander for carry, it would be one of the lightweight models. The steel Commanders don't make much sense to me, they are not that much lighter than the Government Model and 3/4" of an inch less in barrel isn't all the advantageous over the Gov't. when it comes to concealment.

YMMV. ;)

Cactus
14th August 2006, 23:32
Pretty much amigo. I have a few of both the 70s & 80s, it is a non-issue with me.

Now, I'm gonna go against the grain here.
If I were to buy a Commander for carry, it would be one of the lightweight models. The steel Commanders don't make much sense to me, they are not that much lighter than the Government Model and 3/4" of an inch less in barrel isn't all the advantageous over the Gov't. when it comes to concealment.

YMMV. ;)

That does make since OD*, i just don't know much about the alloy frames, and would rather have the steel... Besides, I am 99% sure, i will get the Gov. model any way, that is what i would rather have.

Hey guys keep talkin, i gotta go right quick, i got a sick animal i got to run doctor real fast!

Adios for tonight... I still want to hear what ya'll go to say,
Thanks for all the really great responce so far, i really appreciate it!

Cactus

Hunter
14th August 2006, 23:35
Hey man I hope your sick animal pulls through O.K.

OD*
14th August 2006, 23:42
Good luck with the animal Cactus.

Cactus
15th August 2006, 15:00
Thanks fellas, for the 'good wishes' for the animal in question. "This time", it was not a horse, or cattle, but it was my 'best friend', (other than my horse), it was my 'Labrador'. He had got a little hung up coming over a low spot in a barbed wire fence, (that needed repair), and although no cuts, he pulled something in his tendon/ligament area, on a hind leg. He is favoring it some what, but i am trusting the Lord to pull him through this. He is a real champion, and truly is a very loyal friend indeed! Sleeps, eats, hunts, and plays with me, and sticks to me like glue ;) Thanks again.

Man when something goes wrong with one of my/our animals, from live stock to a dog, i drop everything, and go runnin! I spent a good deal of the night with him, and although he is some better this morning, i may have to break down and go to a vet. You pretty much gotta be your own vet, bottle washer, and welder, and chief cook out here, but sometimes, when all else fails, 'to town you go.' Thanks again for the concern. I am sure he will be fine. At least it wasn't a rattler bite this time! ;)

Ok, i'm back.... If we have any place else to take this coversation, i'm ready. I am learning, and having a good time with y'all as well.

Again, Thanks!

Cactus

OD*
15th August 2006, 15:03
Cactus,

That is good news indeed.

Hunter
15th August 2006, 16:17
I sure hope your puppy dog pulls through. I hate when one of my animals gets hurt but you must tend to them as they look to you as their only real means of care. Oh about the 1911 did I mention Colt yet? :D

Cactus
15th August 2006, 16:44
I sure hope your puppy dog pulls through. I hate when one of my animals gets hurt but you must tend to them as they look to you as their only real means of care. Oh about the 1911 did I mention Colt yet? :D

Thanks OD* i appreciate it. We're working on it! ;)

Hunter, thanks to you to Hoss. Yeah, i recall you saying something about me getting a Colt, is that what you said? :D

You guys have "convinced me to the ultimate MAX!"
Now, i just don't know which one! ;)

I sure appreciate all you guys!

Cactus

Rio Vista Slim
15th August 2006, 19:49
You guys have "convinced me to the ultimate MAX!"
Now, i just don't know which one! ;)
Cactus,
The guys have given you some good advice, and also told you the basic differences between Series 70, Series 80, and the Series 70 reissue.

Earlier in the thread, you specifically asked about the XSE model. While mine has a couple of features that I could live without, it is the BEST pistol I've ever owned for both open and concealed carry.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a294/RioVistaSlim/IMG_0663.jpg

The XSE is on the bottom. Teflon coated aluminum alloy frame, three-dot combat sights, stainless steel slide. For a larger view of this pistol, click on the camera icon at the top right hand side of my post. (The top two pistols are both reissue Series 70 Colts.)

Just a couple of answers to your questions, and a photo to let you know what I'm talking about.

(Sorry, OD*.... :D But, you knew it was coming!)

Cactus
15th August 2006, 21:25
Cactus,
The guys have given you some good advice, and also told you the basic differences between Series 70, Series 80, and the Series 70 reissue.

Earlier in the thread, you specifically asked about the XSE model. While mine has a couple of features that I could live without, it is the BEST pistol I've ever owned for both open and concealed carry.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a294/RioVistaSlim/IMG_0663.jpg

The XSE is on the bottom. Teflon coated aluminum alloy frame, three-dot combat sights, stainless steel slide. For a larger view of this pistol, click on the camera icon at the top right hand side of my post. (The top two pistols are both reissue Series 70 Colts.)

Just a couple of answers to your questions, and a photo to let you know what I'm talking about.

(Sorry, OD*.... :D But, you knew it was coming!)

Rio Vista Slim,

These are truly good looking guns. I particularly like the one in the middle. That is exactly what i would pick up, if all three were in front of me. NOT that the others aren't great, it just catches my eye, and is the style and look i like. But then, i like the one on bottom real well also! ;)

OK, i'm sure this will benifit someone else as well as myself, so here goes....
What is meant by "reissue Series 70 "? I realize what the word reissue means, but i don't understand the facts behind it, etc.

Also, as you have probably read from me, i do prefer steel over alloy frames, so what is the real "disadvantage" to the alloy frame in a Colt?

Thanks

Cactus

OD*
15th August 2006, 21:55
Not to worry Slim, I can look at your pics over and over, an not get bored. http://forum.m1911.org/images/icons/icon15.gif

littledoc
15th August 2006, 23:54
Slim,

That's a fine picture, post it as much as you want. ;) Oh, yeah, The guns are nice, too. :D

littledoc
16th August 2006, 00:04
This is my only Colt, for now. A Combat Commander XS.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d2/littledoc/CDRoverAskins2.jpg

It has worked flawlessly since I got it seven years ago. You will never go wrong with a Colt.

Cactus
16th August 2006, 00:28
This is my only Colt, for now. A Combat Commander XS.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d2/littledoc/CDRoverAskins2.jpg

It has worked flawlessly since I got it seven years ago. You will never go wrong with a Colt.

man that is a good looking gun. You guys, with all these pics, and ifo, are getting me stirred up real bad here. I got toget to town and get on with a purchase! ;)

Cactus

Rio Vista Slim
16th August 2006, 05:00
These are truly good looking guns. I particularly like the one in the middle. That is exactly what i would pick up, if all three were in front of me.
Cactus,
You have great taste in guns, as the blue Government Model is also my favorite pistol.

OK, i'm sure this will benifit someone else as well as myself, so here goes....
What is meant by "reissue Series 70 "? I realize what the word reissue means, but i don't understand the facts behind it, etc.
I can best answer your question by referring you to two sources right here in M1911.ORG. A very good review and explanation of the reissue guns is available in the "Miscellaneous" section, under "Product Tests from M1911.ORG". When the new window opens, click on "Colt Series 70 Government 1911", and you will be treated to an article written by Dana Kamm.
The other source is in the same general section, under "Product Tests from Members". Click on "Colt's Stainless Mark IV/Series 70", and a review that I did on that pistol will be displayed. Everything written about the stainless variety applies to the blue steel gun, with the exception of the use of stainless steel. Both articles contain photographs.

Also, as you have probably read from me, i do prefer steel over alloy frames, so what is the real "disadvantage" to the alloy frame in a Colt?
Although Colt has extensively tested the aluminum alloy used in the frames of the Commander series of pistols, it goes without saying that a steel frame would last much longer, given similar circumstances in care, maintenance, use of spec ammunition, etc. In spite of this, you'll find Commanders for sale every day that date from the 1950s, that are in great shape and have years of service life left in them.

MLee
16th August 2006, 11:55
Cactus,
Just had to ad my .02. I have a few 1911's; Kimber, Springfield, Colt, etc. I would like to echo Hawkmoon's sentiments regarding 1911's with bells and whistles and accuracy claims. 1911's that are mass produced (don't have a lot of individual hands on attention) and have claims of a certain level of accuracy, usually get that through tightening everything up until reliability suffers. My Kimbers have all had a few hiccups until they were "broke-in" as Kimber puts it, i.e., they were cycled enough times until the fit problems that caused the hiccups were worn away. I have not had the problems (knock on wood) that you have experienced, but I have had hiccups with just about every Kimber I own. The Springfield has been modified and customized to the point that it is having an identity crisis, so I can't speak to the reliability of Springfields. My COLTS, were a different animal. They came out of the box with no problems, complete reliability, never failed to cycle at 100% any commercially manufactured ammo, and with accuracy at good to excellent. You cannot go wrong with a Colt. I also believe that my relationship with my gunsmith is as important as my relationship with my physician, probably more important, 'cause I like my gunsmith. :D So you have to take that into consideration.

Mike

Cactus
16th August 2006, 15:34
Cactus,
You have great taste in guns, as the blue Government Model is also my favorite pistol.

I can best answer your question by referring you to two sources right here in M1911.ORG. A very good review and explanation of the reissue guns is available in the "Miscellaneous" section, under "Product Tests from M1911.ORG". When the new window opens, click on "Colt Series 70 Government 1911", and you will be treated to an article written by Dana Kamm.
The other source is in the same general section, under "Product Tests from Members". Click on "Colt's Stainless Mark IV/Series 70", and a review that I did on that pistol will be displayed. Everything written about the stainless variety applies to the blue steel gun, with the exception of the use of stainless steel. Both articles contain photographs.

Although Colt has extensively tested the aluminum alloy used in the frames of the Commander series of pistols, it goes without saying that a steel frame would last much longer, given similar circumstances in care, maintenance, use of spec ammunition, etc. In spite of this, you'll find Commanders for sale every day that date from the 1950s, that are in great shape and have years of service life left in them.

Rio,

Thanks, very much for the links. I have not had time to go 'all' of it yet, but extremely invaluable, 'to me.'

So you like the one in the 'middle' the best also eh? They are all fine looking guns Rio, and looks like you too, keep your weapons in very clean, and good condition. I like that! ;) I may be a tad overboard, but after shooting 'anything' i have, it goes to the bench for cleaning, wiping down, and then put yp, or put 'on.' Sometimes, i think i wear them out more with cleaning, than shooting!

Thanks again man.
Learning is a great part of life!

Cactus

Cactus
16th August 2006, 15:42
Cactus,
Just had to ad my .02. I have a few 1911's; Kimber, Springfield, Colt, etc. I would like to echo Hawkmoon's sentiments regarding 1911's with bells and whistles and accuracy claims. 1911's that are mass produced (don't have a lot of individual hands on attention) and have claims of a certain level of accuracy, usually get that through tightening everything up until reliability suffers. My Kimbers have all had a few hiccups until they were "broke-in" as Kimber puts it, i.e., they were cycled enough times until the fit problems that caused the hiccups were worn away. I have not had the problems (knock on wood) that you have experienced, but I have had hiccups with just about every Kimber I own. The Springfield has been modified and customized to the point that it is having an identity crisis, so I can't speak to the reliability of Springfields. My COLTS, were a different animal. They came out of the box with no problems, complete reliability, never failed to cycle at 100% any commercially manufactured ammo, and with accuracy at good to excellent. You cannot go wrong with a Colt. I also believe that my relationship with my gunsmith is as important as my relationship with my physician, probably more important, 'cause I like my gunsmith. :D So you have to take that into consideration.

Mike

Sound wisdom, on the relationship with the 'smith' statement!
I am concerned at this point, that i have choose the 'wrong guy,' and i think he just screwed up one of my Kimbers. I really don't know what to do about it, or how to 'convince him,' that what i see is not correct, i am in a mess with this, and the only other smith i know of in the state, does not want to work on what someone else has already had their hands on, so i may be in a bind here. Joni Lynn, told me of a smith she uses, and i may have to contact him, and see what he says.

If any of you 'Texas boys', know of one (smith), that you trust, 'to the max,' please let me know.

MLee, thanks.
I am 'convinced' Colt is the route for me. Period!

Cactus

Rio Vista Slim
16th August 2006, 17:55
If any of you 'Texas boys', know of one (smith), that you trust, 'to the max,' please let me know.
Sorry pard. I can't help you there, as I am still involved in my own "elusive" search for a gunsmith that I trust "to the max".

I am 'convinced' Colt is the route for me. Period!

Cactus
Mike makes a convincing argument in favor of Colt, doesn't he? I feel exactly the same way, as my Colts have all been outstandingly reliable right out of the box.

Now, to be perfectly fair, four out of the five Kimbers that I have owned were equally reliable. However, the ONE that wasn't caused me to become "once bitten, twice shy". That's my problem, not Kimber's. They stood by the gun and fixed it completely. I just happen to prefer Colts. ;)

Cactus
16th August 2006, 18:36
Sorry pard. I can't help you there, as I am still involved in my own "elusive" search for a gunsmith that I trust "to the max".

Mike makes a convincing argument in favor of Colt, doesn't he? I feel exactly the same way, as my Colts have all been outstandingly reliable right out of the box.

Now, to be perfectly fair, four out of the five Kimbers that I have owned were equally reliable. However, the ONE that wasn't caused me to become "once bitten, twice shy". That's my problem, not Kimber's. They stood by the gun and fixed it completely. I just happen to prefer Colts. ;)

Yes, Mike does make a very convincing case! So does Hunter, You, OD* and about a cajillion others on here as well... ;)

There is this one 'Texas Smith', Ken Crawley, have heard nothing but really great things about this guy. I think i have seen his named mentioed on here before, and i replied to the post in some way as well... I will check into this further, and let ya know if anything interesting, please do like wise if you hear of someone.

BTW.. The dog did get bit by something out here, (nothing new), and it has his groin swelled up, YIKES!!!! But i gave him a shot, and i believe the anti inflamatory will have him like new in a few days.

Just dropped that in for those who were asking about him. ;)

Thanks guys, all of ya!

Cactus

Cactus
16th August 2006, 18:42
Just out of the sake of interest. How come when i look at the "pulic profile on all the rest of you old boys, everything looks ok, when it comes to your "time zone." ? When i look at mine, its got me on the far east side of South America, in the jungle somewhere! :D

Just curious, no big deal..

Cactus

Rio Vista Slim
16th August 2006, 18:51
Just out of the sake of interest. How come when i look at the "pulic profile on all the rest of you old boys, everything looks ok, when it comes to your "time zone." ? When i look at mine, its got me on the far east side of South America, in the jungle somewhere! :D

Just curious, no big deal..

Cactus
or Greenland!?!? My extraordinary moderator "Powers" do NOT include Time Zones. I'll speak with Hawkmoon or John, and see if we can't get you back in Texas. :D

OD*
16th August 2006, 18:56
You have to set your own time zone Cactus. ;)

Alex Hamilton, is a fellow Texan and is thought highly of by the few I know that has had 1911 work preformed by him. He's a member of (and I think current president) the American Pistolsmith's Guild. www.tenring.com

Here's a write-up by one of the fella's I know.
http://www.milesfortis.us/mcump/mc19.htm

Cactus
16th August 2006, 22:04
or Greenland!?!? My extraordinary moderator "Powers" do NOT include Time Zones. I'll speak with Hawkmoon or John, and see if we can't get you back in Texas. :D

Hey man, It ain't any big deal, just so long as i don't personally feel Texas moving East, like in FAR East! :D

Thanks Rio!

Cactus

Cactus
16th August 2006, 22:08
You have to set your own time zone Cactus. ;)

Alex Hamilton, is a fellow Texan and is thought highly of by the few I know that has had 1911 work preformed by him. He's a member of (and I think current president) the American Pistolsmith's Guild. www.tenring.com

Here's a write-up by one of the fella's I know.
http://www.milesfortis.us/mcump/mc19.htm

OD*,

I appreciate the links.... I have a good deal of reading to do on some y'all gave me on the series 70, and i will check out these two here, later this evening, if all permits. Thanks again!

Cactus

Cactus
16th August 2006, 22:47
OD*,

I just went through the article you gave me in the link, it was really good, and explained a few things to me as well. Thanks again.

I also went through most of the 'Ten Ring' website.... Put it under the favorites folder, as i did, "Bob Rogers," that Joni Lynn gave me. I talked with this man today on the phone, (BOB R.), he is one of the nicest guys I've dealt with, and seems to really know his stuff... Listening, Rio Vista Slim? ;)

I know he 'ain't in Tx. But he's in Arkansas, that's at least touching us, but a loooong way from W. Tx. ha.

Starting now on the series 70 link/s to learn more. I got this pretty much narrowed down to the series 70/80 Gov. size. September i will, Lord willing, make the purchase.

Cactus

OD*
16th August 2006, 22:52
You're welcome sir.

I've heard and read very good things about Bob Rogers.

Cactus
16th August 2006, 23:32
Rio Vista Slim,

I just read your article on...... stainless Mark IV/Series 70. I was very impressed. It was well written, clear and to the point, and easy for me to learn from, and understand. Plus the gun is a beauty.

Now that "blued gun" in the center, on the pic you sent me a few post back, is that the Mark IV/series 70, only blued? The one i liked the best.

If so, i am pretty much convinced at this point, that is the gun i will hold out for.

Now i start on the other article.

Cactus

Rio Vista Slim
17th August 2006, 04:51
Cactus,
The blued gun in the middle of the photo is a Colt Mark IV/Series 70 Government Model, reissue. It is exactly like the stainless model in the review, except for the carbon steel. (at the end of my product review, there are comments, and I posted a fairly good picture of the blued Series 70)

Thanks for the Heads Up about Bob Rogers. Arkansas is a "little" closer to me than it is to you, but as you said, they are still our neighbors.

Thanks again.

Cactus
17th August 2006, 13:27
Cactus,
The blued gun in the middle of the photo is a Colt Mark IV/Series 70 Government Model, reissue. It is exactly like the stainless model in the review, except for the carbon steel. (at the end of my product review, there are comments, and I posted a fairly good picture of the blued Series 70)

Thanks for the Heads Up about Bob Rogers. Arkansas is a "little" closer to me than it is to you, but as you said, they are still our neighbors.

Thanks again.

Thanks Rio. I missed something i guess on the product review part. That is why i ask. Bob is one great guy, from what he says, and the spirit about him, and the experience he has, I would not hesitate to let him work on my guns.

Now if i can only figure out what to do with the Kimber that this 'OTHER' smith, (some guy in Tx. here), has appearently trashed out. This has really left me in a big mess, holding the bag, with a gun (was), i do not know what to do with, and have a small fortune tied up in it :confused: :(

Thanks again Rio!

Cactus

southern boy
17th August 2006, 13:35
I can answer this question with one word. Colt. There is none better. I will be glad to elaborate but it is one of those I can show you better than I can tell you things. You might give them a try and I feel sure you will not have the problems you have been having. I have a modest collection of Colts and not a one has ever given me trouble that was a fault of the pistol itself (a few out of spec reloads my fault and a cheap wore out magazine again my fault)

counter that one word with two words.

WAR MODEL.

buy an original, never have a problem again.

back in the day they were overbuilt, something you never see in todays "gotta cut corners to make as much money as possible" society.

Joni Lynn
17th August 2006, 14:32
I called Bob last night to discuss fixing a gun I had someone else work on. The barrel fit is sloppy and it just isn't very accurate. I'll be sending it to him before very much time passes and I know that when it returns it'll be fixed to my satisfaction and not only be accurate but be 100% reliable.

Cactus
17th August 2006, 15:46
I called Bob last night to discuss fixing a gun I had someone else work on. The barrel fit is sloppy and it just isn't very accurate. I'll be sending it to him before very much time passes and I know that when it returns it'll be fixed to my satisfaction and not only be accurate but be 100% reliable.

Joni, i have 'no doubt,' after talking with this man, your gun will be in 100% shape. We really spent some time on the phone, and he even called me back today, to check on some things... He means business, and i like that.

Thanks for pointing me his way Joni! ;)

Cactus

Joni Lynn
17th August 2006, 16:47
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/Joni_Lynn/lgcolt2.jpg
This is a pic of the one he built for me. It was born as a nickel plated series 70 Gov't.
There are no words in any language I know to describe how sweet this gun is now.
Other pics of the gun are on Bob's website on page 2.

Joni Lynn
17th August 2006, 16:54
I don't remember if I've ever mentioned this, Bob and his wife are also writers for 'On Target' magazine. Bob does the 1911 columns.
I found that listening to Bob about what I should and shouldn't do to a gun is an excellent plan. He has good ideas and knows what to avoid.

Rio Vista Slim
17th August 2006, 18:52
Back to the series 70/80. I do not see many series 70's when ever i get to Ft. Worth for a gun show, but plenty of 'plain jane' series 80's, and the LT. WT. commanders, and even the 38 super's.

Cactus,
To get back to your original set of questions:
Have you bought a pistol yet, based on the recommendations that you've gotten here?
If not, and if you are able, there is a big gun show coming to Fort Worth, August 26th and 27th. Let me know, and we'll find you a dealer that has a table full of Colts for you to fondle.

Cactus
17th August 2006, 19:58
Cactus,
To get back to your original set of questions:
Have you bought a pistol yet, based on the recommendations that you've gotten here?
If not, and if you are able, there is a big gun show coming to Fort Worth, August 26th and 27th. Let me know, and we'll find you a dealer that has a table full of Colts for you to fondle.

No Sir, i have not bought one yet. I was waiting on the 'Market Hall' gun show on Sept 23-24. Problem there is, It's our 28th wedding anniversary, so good greif, i'm workin on a way to do them both! :D

Then the Sept 9-10, in Ft. Worth, falls on my wifes Birth Day!

So, the Aug 26th-27th, you mentioned above, is "My only hope" !

Now don't take me wrong... I sure want to take the little wife out for something 'special' on our anniversary, and on her B.D. (like getting me,... I mean US), a new Colt 1911. :D

In light of all this, i will 'have to make' the Aug 26-27 show.
IF i can make it there Aug 26-27, i will PM you, and arrange a meeting place. It would be great to meet with you, and look at the guns, and make a new friend, and i would appreciate the help. (i'll let you know either way). How's this sound?

Cactus

Cactus
17th August 2006, 20:02
I don't remember if I've ever mentioned this, Bob and his wife are also writers for 'On Target' magazine. Bob does the 1911 columns.
I found that listening to Bob about what I should and shouldn't do to a gun is an excellent plan. He has good ideas and knows what to avoid.

Joni,

Nice gun, nice pic.
Yes i had discovered about his article/s in the magizine you mentioned.
What are those grips made of?

Cactus

Cactus
17th August 2006, 20:53
Well, i just finished reading the article on the 70 series, and i learned a great deal, but still need to re-read it, a few more times, to clear up oneor two little things. All in all, it seems to me 70, or 80 is fine. I like the new barrel feed ramp throat, that allows for more reliable feeding for one thing, that is encouraging to me. I do have this question though.... not to drag out the thread, but Valid to me.

On the article about the series 70, as much as i like that gun, if i read it correctly, it has the small ejection port. Now i know on the SA G.I. i just sold, it too, had the small ejection port as well. I not only did have ejection prblems, but could NOT reload my brass, because they were almost bent into.

IF, this is the case with the S70, then i believe i would rather go ahead with the S80 and something with lowered and flared port, not only to more greatly ensure ection, but reloadable brass.

Now IF on any of this, i am mistaken, or got something messed up, please tell me! As i said, i am trying to not only learn, but also, funnel this down to the "best gun for me."

Cactus

Joni Lynn
17th August 2006, 21:06
That's been what has held me up on ordering a new series 70. I wonder how bad it would damage the finish to have a pro work over the ejection port?

Joni Lynn
17th August 2006, 21:07
The grips are Arizona Desert Ironwood.

Rio Vista Slim
18th August 2006, 18:05
In light of all this, i will 'have to make' the Aug 26-27 show.
IF i can make it there Aug 26-27, i will PM you, and arrange a meeting place. It would be great to meet with you, and look at the guns, and make a new friend, and i would appreciate the help. (i'll let you know either way). How's this sound?

Cactus
Sounds good Cactus. Let me know.

Cactus
19th August 2006, 10:24
Sounds good Cactus. Let me know.

I will let ya know either way Rio...!

Joni, Thanks again for the tip to Bob.....Nice grips.

Thanks every one!

I've decide on Colt for sure, so I'll give y'all a shout whenever i finally can get in and pick one up. ;)

Adios!

Cactus

ozark ridgerunner
24th August 2006, 04:26
I must be lucky because the two kimbers which are older series 1 gun , one is a custom shop royal carry and a fullsize classic stainless have never had a problem and shoot as accurately as my wilson cqb compact.The only thing i've done to them was have the barrel on the stainless recrowned.Being I live 30 miles from berryville I know a lot of the guys that work for wilson and nighthawk (FYI nighthawk gives a 20% discount to locals which harrison is considered local) I've heard lots of good things about Bob and his work.

rides&shoots
28th August 2006, 21:13
The tighter (more accurate) the gun, the more finicky in my opinion. If you are concerned about reliability - don't be so concerned about accuracy.

Cactus
28th August 2006, 21:14
Well, you were lucky, as you put it.

I decided to give the Kimber 'one more chance,' to have the honor to belong to me! :D

I gave it to a very good smith here in Tx, named Ken Crawley, and we talked over te issues, and what 'needed' to be done, "and" what I 'wanted' to be done to the Pro Carry II HD. I really have every confidence, that this gun will return to me, next month running 100%. ;)

So, for now, i am not buying anything, for a while.... BUT, "Next" is Colt..."Period"! ;)

Cactus

Hunter
28th August 2006, 21:58
OK Cactus I will let you slide this time because I think you are good people, but I hope to hear of a new Colt in the (not so distant) future. :D Seriously though I hope the smith gets you pistol running well, I wish you both luck.

Cactus
28th August 2006, 22:17
OK Cactus I will let you slide this time because I think you are good people, but I hope to hear of a new Colt in the (not so distant) future. :D Seriously though I hope the smith gets you pistol running well, I wish you both luck.

Well my friend, i was worrying about you, and one or two others, and now a major burden has been lifted from me, knowing " i ain't in trouble " ! :D

Seriously, i do thank ya for the kind wishes, and i think "you are good people too Hoss!" ;) I do feel the Kimber will be dandy when returned to me. Plus, the Colt is just around the corner, and many more of those babies to follow, Lord willing. I figure to have the first one bought before Christmas. ;)

Thanks for the note Hunter, Later!

Cactus