PDA

View Full Version : Best Kimber for carry?

rbaker
10th November 2004, 21:31
Hi,
I'm new to the forum. I carry a Glock 27 daily, and am very happy with it. However, I'm looking to step up to a top of the line gun. I'm considering the Kimber Ultra CDP II. I'm used to shooting the Glock .40 cal. How does the recoil of the Kimber Ultra CDP II .45 compare to my .40cal Glock? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks for your advice,

Ryan

gigmike
12th November 2004, 23:14
I rented the ultra sized Kimber and found the recoil of standard 230 ball to be not that different from my pro sized Kimber. Having said that I should disclose I've never shot a .40 Glock. Also a consideration is how you like to dress and how you anticipate carrying; IWB, OWB, etc. As far as how the gun behaves I suggest taking part of a day and trying some out.

Nikolai
13th November 2004, 14:17
Hello,

Since you asked for suggestions.. I would NOT get an Ultra or any other sub-4" 1911 for carry. Kimber Compact has a 4 inch barrel with the Officer's sized grip (same sized grip on the Ultra's), if such is desired. Otherwise, any model of their Pro line (Pro Carry, Pro Carry HD, Pro CDP, Tactical Pro, etc,.) should suffice with the fullsize grip.

On concealing 1911s (and all firearms), the grip is the hardest thing to hide. A shorter grip, or bobtailed grip will aid in hiding your piece, however a shorter barrel than 4" sacrifices nothing except reliability, something you may desire when facing a life or death situation and need that gun to go bang and continue to do so until the trigger is allowed to rest. Some of have good experiences with 3" 1911s, some haven't. It IS a crapshoot, and the odds are not in the buyers favor.

Please consider.

-Nikolai

crimefighter
20th November 2004, 19:52
i have 4 kimbers, an ultra cdp, standard ultra,compact stainless and a new
pro tactical ll. for most conditions like sweat shirts or jacket i carry the pro tactical. with a regular shirt the ultras with an in the pants holster. all my
kimbers are totally reliable after breakin. the tactical needed no breakin. did
not have a problem in 500 rounds. have not had a problem with ultras in 3000+ rounds. clean them and treat them to good ammo and there should be
no problem.
crimefighter

John
21st November 2004, 07:18
Hello,

Since you asked for suggestions.. I would NOT get an Ultra or any other sub-4" 1911 for carry. Kimber Compact has a 4 inch barrel with the Officer's sized grip (same sized grip on the Ultra's), if such is desired. Otherwise, any model of their Pro line (Pro Carry, Pro Carry HD, Pro CDP, Tactical Pro, etc,.) should suffice with the fullsize grip.

On concealing 1911s (and all firearms), the grip is the hardest thing to hide. A shorter grip, or bobtailed grip will aid in hiding your piece, however a shorter barrel than 4" sacrifices nothing except reliability, something you may desire when facing a life or death situation and need that gun to go bang and continue to do so until the trigger is allowed to rest. Some of have good experiences with 3" 1911s, some haven't. It IS a crapshoot, and the odds are not in the buyers favor.

Please consider.

-Nikolai
I second this. Short 1911s tend to be more peculiar.

Rgds

technjeep
28th November 2004, 13:43
Hello,

Please consider.

-NikolaiHow does a barrel shorther than 4" sacrifice reliability?

swampertwo
28th November 2004, 19:40
Your turn in the 'barrel' , John :D :D

Jeff

John
29th November 2004, 05:49
How does a barrel shorther than 4" sacrifice reliability?
Well, shorter barrel=shorter slide=less distance to travel rearwards for the cyclic action=more complicated recoil system

Most people around here, do not trust short length 1911s as much as the 5" or 4.25" ones. And lately, more and more manufacturers are shortening the Commander length to 4". I am not sure I like that.

OK, and after all this is said, I have to admit that one of the most accurate 1911s I've ever tried, was an Officer's slide matted to a Government frame. But that was a custom pistol with a bull Schuemann barrel etc (who was it who said bull barrels do not do anything for accuracy? Me!).

Rgds

technjeep
29th November 2004, 07:04
Thanks for the response. I trust my 3" Ultra CDP II to be my primary CCW. Wanted to see if I was missing something on the reliability issues. It performs as well as its big brothers and is very accurate.

Wes Janson
10th December 2004, 08:16
John, wouldn't it be the sort of thing that's either going to happen within the first five hundred, thousand rounds, or else never going to happen? I understand the concern, but I find myself suspecting that a Kimber 3" isn't very likely to suddenly develope problems.

John
10th December 2004, 12:45
You are right of course, but we have to keep in mind that a pistol is not a static thing. Its springs weaken with usage (some of the weaken by just sitting there), and metals tend to smooth out. What I am trying to say is that as the pistol is used, and because of the changes mentioned, it might come a moment, where the short slide travel of the 3" gun creates some ... conflicts with the rest of the feeding/cycling mechanism and then you start looking for parts to replace.

Of course, all the above is not scientifically proved, just experience I acquire from reading what others have to say (and I mean knowledgeable others).

My 2 Eurocents, as usually.

SilverBullet
13th December 2004, 14:34
Hi, I'm new here but have been carrying a Kimber 3" Ultra CDP almost daily since it came out. The gun has about 4,000 rounds through it, mostly my reloads.

I build my reloads using a 200 gr jacketed SWC over Win 231 to match the velocity of Golden Sabers (about 900 fps in my Kimber). That way, my practice ammo perfoms like my carry ammo and it's a lot cheaper!

So far, only one failure to feed - probably due to my reload. I'm on my third set of springs and some new ones are due in next week.

I've been real happy with the Kimber, it's pretty easy to conceal, especially in the summertime when I use a Milt Sparks VersaMax 2 and a T-shirt. Winter's easier as a jacket or sweatshirt nicely covers the Kimber in a Galco Concealable.

Just my $0.02 worth.

NitroMan
25th December 2004, 10:18
I also researched quite a bit before I bought my Compact CDP II for daily carry. After months of reviewing comments on many forums from users that owned the Ultra CDP, I came to the conclusion that there were many more problems associated with a 3" barrel than a 4" barrel. This is not to say they all have problems but it seemed like the majority of owners did. I settled on the Compact CDP II and also carry it in a VM-2 or SmartCarry on a daily basis. It has shot everything I have fed it and is very, very accurate. Just my opinion though. I would try and see if there is someone at a range near you that would let you shoot both if possible before you decide. Merry Christmas ...
http://www.nitrographix.com/kimber/kimber2.jpg

dajowi
19th February 2005, 01:11
Whatever gun you have on your person when you need it. There are so many variables that a correct response to this question is almost impossible. Everyone has their subjective opinion as to which size Kimber, or 1911 in general is the best. I've owned 1911s of all sizes, from several manufacturers Colt, Paraordinance, Clock and Kimber. The Glock was the only .45 which had zero malfunction. Since I didn't like the feel, the looks or the accuracy of the Glock, I sold it and after months of research purchased a Kimber Ultra Eclipse II 3" in stainless. It had problems with FTF, FTE, and FTRB. It has not quite reached the break in period of 500 rounds but it has smoothed itself out where I no longer encounter malfunctions of any kind. And it the most accurate pistol I've ever owned. Paired with a Galco ******* shoulder rig - it is the best carry for me.

birddog1
20th February 2005, 08:05
I've got a Kimber Ultra Carry II and a Springfield Micro compact. The only problem I have experienced is a bad extractor on the Kimber and they're sending a new one. Both shoot well, very accurate, and no problem with recoil. After I bought the Kimber I decided I had to have another so I sold my Glock 27 to buy the Springfield. Honestly, after having Glocks and 1911's, I'll never have another Glock. It shot well, but just doesn't feel as good.

fnfalguy
20th February 2005, 22:30
I never had a problem with my Kimber Compact when I owned one. I put a set of Hogue grips on it to make it a bit easier to get a hold of, but otherwise it shot better than many fullsize 1911s from other companies. I only sold it to subsidize the Gold Combat II that I currently have.

wildon1911s
28th February 2005, 15:43
I love my Kimber Compact SS. It is has not given any problems in the several thousand rounds I have put through it.
http://usera.imagecave.com/wildon1911s/000_0172.JPG

scobieh
4th March 2005, 12:04
I have the Kimber Ultra II for my carry gun. I have never had any problems and in my case I have found that the Ultra is just as accurate as my full size Kimber in distances out to 15 yards, actually any further than that and I have vision problems, old age I guess. I have found that is is very confortable to carry both IWB and OWB. It is a joy to shoot and the recoil is not much different than the full size 1911s. Only thing I don't like about it is the recoil spring system, can be a bit touchy in assembly.

jade04
4th March 2005, 20:58
I'm the guy with the rcpII. After a trip back to Kimber for a ramp polish to cure a feed problem and a trigger adj. the thing shoots great and I put 7 rounds of hydra shok in a 2" group at 7 yds. Other than the beavertail cutting into the webbing of my hand (which will be replaced soon. The part, not the hand.) :) the gun disappears under a t shirt with a Galco jak slide holster. Imagine an iwb would work even better. Kudos to Kimber custom shop for their prompt response and good work.

Huevos
4th March 2005, 22:33
I believe it's whatever gun you shoot and trust the most. For me it's my Gold Combat Stainless. Maybe that will change after I spend more time shooting my other guns, but for now, that's the one. I also believe a 5" gun will conceal and carry well with the right holster and belt. Even with the mag funnel this one disappears under an untucked t-shirt and if all my guns were in reach when the $hit hit the fan, it's the first one I would grab.

http://www.fototime.com/41DE01542EB6E94/standard.jpg

Sifu
5th March 2005, 14:10
I've owned 4 Kimbers and have found them all to be more reliable than my Colts or Springfields. For CCW, I've carried the Ultra Carry, Compact CDP and now the Ultra CDP II. I recommend the Ultra CDP II model because it already has all the features you will want on a CCW. It weighs in at only 24.5 ounces + the loaded mag. I prefer the 3" barrel for it's compact size and yes it does kick a little. Some people limp wrist the 3" .45 and consider it too much. Remember to lock the wrist. I suggest you go to the store or gun show and check em out 1st hand.

If you will be carrying the weapon, you should look at getting a quality holster like a Milt Sparks and a quality belt also.http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/davismjd/DSCN0943.jpg

jade04
5th March 2005, 19:28
Just for info; the rcpII is an ultra model with all rounded edges and no sights. It has a trench cut into the top of the slide for a sight. Takes a little getting used to. But once I figured out where it shoots, it's pretty darn accurate. I figure a 2" group at combat range at 1 second per round is pretty good.

Sifu
6th March 2005, 14:48
Just for info; the rcpII is an ultra model with all rounded edges and no sights. It has a trench cut into the top of the slide for a sight. Takes a little getting used to. But once I figured out where it shoots, it's pretty darn accurate. I figure a 2" group at combat range at 1 second per round is pretty good.
Jade04 -

The RCP is a fine weapon, very compact. I've shot it. I have an AMT Backup .45 with the sight trench. As you said, for close quarter, the ramp is as accurate as one needs to be. The beauty of the sight channel is you can carry it anywhere on your body or in a bag and there are no sight posts to snag on clothing, etc.

Rick101
8th March 2005, 09:14
I own several handguns mostly Sigs and all have been 100% all the time .I have always been intrigued with the look and feel of the 1911 and alot of people who own them love the way they shoot. I always thought they were inherently unreliable. But was convinced they had been improved. So out I go and buy a Kimber Ultra CDPII. The first shot impressed the **** out of me ...shot right were I pointed it at 15 yds the second was the same then a FTF Cleared then again a FTF changed mags still a FTF. This happened about every second shot. Through about 200 rounds. Sent the gun back to Kimber and they replaced the ext. extractor and this seems to have cleared the problem only 3 FTF in 100 rounds. Since then I purchased a Wilson and No failures at all right out of the box 500 rounds to date. Is this common with Kimbers new ext extractor to be this unreliable??