PDA

View Full Version : Brownell's Gun Kote

stumbler
8th November 2004, 11:59
I did a frame with Brownell's Gun Kote (Brushed Stainless). I followed the directions carefully. Prepped the frame. Had a well ventilated area. Dust Mask, Rubber gloves, etc... Sprayed the frame with 2 light coats (allowing for drying time in between coats). Baked the frame as instructions read. Beautiful finish.

Wife saw the job on the frame and had me do a brass door handle and face plate. Repeated the steps above. Again, beautiful finish.

Now she wants me to do the knobs on the kitchen cabinets.

Moral: Send the "Better-Half" shopping for awhile and hide the results from her or you too will be re-doing anything metal around the house. :)

John
8th November 2004, 12:34
This thread is useless without pictures. Of the pistol, not the door knobs. :-)

Rgds

schapman43
8th November 2004, 12:59
I've been really happy with the KG Gunkote product. I've done a few guns and have been real impressed. I bought a couple air brushes and a compressor which makes things allot easier.

thehead7
1st December 2004, 00:38
I've been thinking about recoating my Kimber TLE/RLII with KG Guncoat.

Have you had to sandblast off old finish on any of the weapons you've done with KG? That part kind of worries me, as I'm not sure what to use for a sandblaster. We've got one in storage at the office, but it's kind of a cheap one purchased for sandblasting a vehicle and I have no idea if the same type of sandblaster would work for sandblasting my weapon (kind of seams like varmit shooting with a towed artillery peice)

I'd be interested in any comments you may have regarding your experiences coating a 1911 with KG.. Oh, and about how much coating does it take to do a weapon?

Perhaps I should coat one of my glock slides first... :)

Thanks
John

stans
1st December 2004, 05:26
GunKote, like spray paint, goes a long way and the key to a smooth finish is in applying two or three light coats instead of one heavy coat. The surface should be roughened and parkerizing also provides a better surface for the color coat.

thehead7
1st December 2004, 08:33
Thanks for the info. I think the best way to learn is going to be for me to experiment with my glock 21 slide and see how that goes, then tackle my 1911... Of course, this will also be my first time to completely take down my 1911 frame... Might be interesting :)

Thanks,
John

Butch
1st December 2004, 19:11
I've been really happy with the KG Gunkote product. I've done a few guns and have been real impressed. I bought a couple air brushes and a compressor which makes things allot easier.

schapman43. What type of air brushes did you buy? I am new to this refinishing.

Thanks

Prezzz
1st December 2004, 22:16
This thread is useless without pictures. Of the pistol, not the door knobs. :-)

Rgds

Here John......You might need this in the future.

http://members.cox.net/rtset/Gifs/ttiwwop.gif

Prezzz
1st December 2004, 22:23
I refinished my 1991 "NRM" and I used the KG Ind. Gunkote from the factory that you put in a paint sprayer. Came out real nice.

http://members.cox.net/rtset/NRM1991ad.JPG

thehead7
2nd December 2004, 08:49
Very nice...

What did you spray it with? What did you sandblast it with?

Did you use a kitchen oven, or a paint drying oven?

How much KG did it require? (I figure it can't be too much, but since I don't have volume solids on the stuff, I don't know...)

I want to start with my glock slides (for instructional purposes), then do my kimber, and maybe later do my tactical shotgun and my carbine...

Prezzz
2nd December 2004, 09:11
What did you spray it with?
KG Industries Gunkote - http://www.kgcoatings.com/

What did you sandblast it with?
Used bead blasting cabinet. Used 80 grit glass beads.

Did you use a kitchen oven, or a paint drying oven?
Used kitchen even. *Note to married individuals* Find reason to get wife out of house. The smell is pretty strong and she will insist you are ruining the oven. Smell dissipates after you remove the parts and no harm done to the oven.

How much KG did it require? (I figure it can't be too much, but since I don't have volume solids on the stuff, I don't know...)
Not sure. The can isn't see through so I don't know how much is missing. It can't be much though. I would guess you can do 5 handguns with a bottle if you aren't wasteful.

I want to start with my glock slides (for instructional purposes), then do my kimber, and maybe later do my tactical shotgun and my carbine

Glock slide would be easy. You can cover everything. The slide action on this 1991 is a lot smoother with the coating. Very slick feeling.

stumbler
2nd December 2004, 09:38
(as a side note... you may want to remove the sights if they are plastic. 300 may do something to them)

thehead7
4th December 2004, 23:28
Every pistol sight I own is meprolight, but I will have to remove them anyway... I am making green guns, and I want to keep black sights :)

I've spoken to the people at KG twice now, and I think it was the owner and maybe his son. Both very nice folks... I talked to the owner for probably 45 minutes or so, not only about their coating...

Anyhow, Thanks Prezzz for reafirming my plan...

Course I don't have a bead blasting cabinet yet, I'm looking for something that won't break the bank but is big enough to maybe fit the barrel and or magazine tube of my shotgun into (Mossberg 590 9 shot)... That, I think, is the biggest thing I've got that I ever intend to coat...

I picked up a badger M 155 airbrush to spray with. It's a two stage brush and I'm working on getting used to spraying with it... So far, so good...

As far as the "Domestic Note" you gave about wife/oven, I don't have too big a problem with that. On many occaisions I've used the oven for drying painted parts and my girlfriend has done little more than roll her eyes...

And that's why I love her :)

-Head

HOGCAT
9th December 2004, 21:03
heres a site for a nice small sand blaster.

http://www.etchworld.com/item--Handi-Sand-Blaster--61-5050

gottripletsNC
9th December 2004, 21:20
did mine with brownell's and it worked for what I wanted... Its flaking on the edges as someone did tell me that it would. It was a get me by until I could have it professionally refinished. It covered bare metal from where I put on a BT grip safety, and scratched the frame in some places from rough handling etc....

JoshStagg
20th December 2004, 21:15
I have used gunkote many times in the past, and it has never failed me when I did it right (big greasy fingerprints are really not condusive to any type of coating adhering properly). :o

When using an airbrush, don't set your psi too high; the stuff will dry out before it hits the surface of whatever you are painting, and cause it to come out very rough.

AZ COLLECTOR
2nd January 2005, 22:23
short note on kg and airbrushes
the MEK in kg will do bad things to some airbrush O-rings.
i personally use a $5.99 air brush from harbour freight.
works fine and if it has problems (i forgot to clean it once)
is cheap enough to throw out lol
also for camo finishes on shot guns rifles ect. cheap enough to have several colors on tap at once.
oh and KG is awesome stuff!!!
sean