PDA

View Full Version : Imperial Defence's 1911 Ranger

nietzschean
4th April 2006, 02:03
Any comprehensive info or review on Imperial Defence's 1911 "Ranger," especially the "Enhanced" version?

Many thanks!

nietzschean
9th April 2006, 21:35
Anyone? :)

dartman
10th April 2006, 07:24
Yap! Gud day to you. I own an Imp. Def. Ranger 1911a1. Well, to me, it shoots fine. I will try to shoot again at the end of this month. But I may say Im still a beginner. I have only add a guide rod to lessen the recoil effect and to prolong its service life. The one thing i want to replace at this point is the sight (front and rear) . It is too short. Anyway constant practice will do, don't you think?

That is the one i hold below in my signature.

You may check http://www.m1911.org/full_models.htm and click on the Imperial def. model for comprehesive information.

Here is a closer look on mine at http://www.geocities.com/mikedelapena/m1911a1 -smooth finish.

nietzschean
10th April 2006, 08:48
Many thanks for your input, kabayan. Still canvassing for a good 1911. All the best!

maskytrading
10th April 2006, 11:08
Many thanks for your input, kabayan. Still canvassing for a good 1911. All the best!

Magandang umaga, kabayan. I bought a Hi Cap model last march and I think it is good "value for money" pistol (US$450 converted). I had it 'customized' and the total project cost is about $900 converted...All in all the total expenses I incurred to make a 'one of a kind' defense pistol is US$1350.00; which is about half of the custom branded ones like: Colt, Caspian, Para-Ordnance, STI, Kimber, etc...I am converting it to 45Super but the problem is 'starline' brass'..there aren't any around.

John
10th April 2006, 11:55
Interesting! You must be the only country (or almost the only one), where these pistols are marketed.

dartman
10th April 2006, 19:20
No problem. Ive also seen Hi Cap and it looks really good too. :)

nietzschean
10th April 2006, 22:49
Many, many thanks for your inputs, kababayans! I've initially narrowed down my choices to Norinco, Armscor/RIA, and Imperial Defence. I'd like to believe I'm adequately familiar with the first two in the list. But I'm pretty much in the dark as to ID's Ranger. Your comments are most helpful!

John, your take on the ID Ranger?

Many thanks again!

nietzschean
10th April 2006, 22:51
And, oh, I also have qualms about the parkerized finish of the ID Ranger. I personally think that, for purposes of concealment, a blued finish is most appropriate for urban settings.

Then again, what the hey do I know? :)

Just my two cents...

maskytrading
11th April 2006, 08:31
Interesting! You must be the only country (or almost the only one), where these pistols are marketed.

There is some sort of business partnership between the Rangers' makers and the sole distributor here in my country. A few weeks ago, the head of the distributors' custom shop was sent to the assembly plant somewhere in Vietnam to correct some flaws in the units as I was informed that the specs used were those of the earlier Colt 1911s Govt. I think the intention of the distributors of the Ranger is to break the monopoly of Armscorp on inexpensive 1911s. As it is, the Ranger is a little bit "cheaper" even if it is an import. Sadly though, external extractor models are now being sold instead of the usual internal one. Even the guys in the custom shop are wagging their heads on the company's decision.

For me, I bought a HiCap as a platform for a custom job which as I've mentioned in my last posting as half the price of the branded ones like Colt, Para, Caspian,STI etc.

Anyway, my pistol will be finished before the month of April ends and I will try to post a picture here.

maskytrading
11th April 2006, 08:39
Many, many thanks for your inputs, kababayans! I've initially narrowed down my choices to Norinco, Armscor/RIA, and Imperial Defence. I'd like to believe I'm adequately familiar with the first two in the list. But I'm pretty much in the dark as to ID's Ranger. Your comments are most helpful!

John, your take on the ID Ranger?

Many thanks again!

If you ask me, I would go for the Imperial Defence Ranger Hi Cap at about US$450 converted without the license fees, gun club fees etc which as you know is mandatory here before your 1911 is released. The finish among the three is about the same but the metal of the frame of the Ranger is thicker than Armscorp, although I've not seen a hi cap norinco. And the Ranger looks very rugged out of the "bag",(it is in a carry bag if you buy one). But do try to request for an internal extractor model...

nietzschean
11th April 2006, 10:12
If you ask me, I would go for the Imperial Defence Ranger Hi Cap at about US$450 converted without the license fees, gun club fees etc which as you know is mandatory here before your 1911 is released. The finish among the three is about the same but the metal of the frame of the Ranger is thicker than Armscorp, although I've not seen a hi cap norinco. And the Ranger looks very rugged out of the "bag",(it is in a carry bag if you buy one). But do try to request for an internal extractor model...

Hey, kabayan! Thanks for your response. The NP-30, which is the high capacity version of the Norinco 1911 .45, appears to be the "Police" version, albeit with a higher magazine capacity. I have two qualms about this model, though. First is that, although it's a double stack, the magazine can accommodate only ten (10) rounds, which is three (3) rounds short of most hi-cap magazines from other models. Second is the protrusion at the base of the magazine. But I've heard lots of praises about Norinco's forged steel construction.

The finish on most ID Rangers I've seen, well, looks like olive green spray paint blast. But, like what I said, I've read some reviews on the Ranger and I think it's worth putting in the list of the most-reliable-slash-most-affordable 1911 models in the Philippines.

I am considering the high capacity model of the ID Ranger. Got some questions, though. First, do the distributors here have stock units with internal extractors? Second, how's the stock trigger on the ID Ranger? Third, will the stock guide rod of the ID Ranger have to be replaced?

Many thanks again for your input!

maskytrading
16th April 2006, 08:50
Hey, kabayan! Thanks for your response. The NP-30, which is the high capacity version of the Norinco 1911 .45, appears to be the "Police" version, albeit with a higher magazine capacity. I have two qualms about this model, though. First is that, although it's a double stack, the magazine can accommodate only ten (10) rounds, which is three (3) rounds short of most hi-cap magazines from other models. Second is the protrusion at the base of the magazine. But I've heard lots of praises about Norinco's forged steel construction.

The finish on most ID Rangers I've seen, well, looks like olive green spray paint blast. But, like what I said, I've read some reviews on the Ranger and I think it's worth putting in the list of the most-reliable-slash-most-affordable 1911 models in the Philippines.

I am considering the high capacity model of the ID Ranger. Got some questions, though. First, do the distributors here have stock units with internal extractors? Second, how's the stock trigger on the ID Ranger? Third, will the stock guide rod of the ID Ranger have to be replaced?

Many thanks again for your input!

Kabayan(Countrymen), regarding mag capacity, the Ranger Hicap is supposed to be 14-45 as it is rolled mark on the left slide face but it is also very hard to put in 12 rounds. What I did is I went to the PBDionisio custom shop and have them manufacture extended mag buffers(+3 more). With a magwell, the extension is about an inch or so only.

With regard to the internal extractor models, the single stack 1911s are still "in stock" but with the HiCap, I had a hard time convincing a salesman of PBDionisio to source one for me, fortunately, one buyer forfeited his downpayment so I took over. As for the "stock trigger", since my Ranger is HiCap; it is too short as in too short and it was impossible to shoot a quick "double". The trigger protruded about less than half an inch from the frame with my pistol so I had it replaced with an STI composite long trigger as the ParaOrd Hi cap triggers did not fit or match or is also short according to the gunsmith who did the job.

The unit I bought was "loose" (i.e. slide to frame fit). Although, this is subjective, after "tightening" the slide to frame fit and installing a full length guide rod, my pistol shoots "smoother". I feel that the recoil is "straighter". But as I've said, this is purely subjective on my part.

The best part of the ranger is the thick frame which is the main reason I bought one. It serves as a good platform for my "cheap custom" pistol as compared to the branded ones like Caspian, ParaOrd, STI, Infinity, etc; still and all it is a "good buy" value for money wise. Mabuhay ang bayan natin (Long live our republic)

nietzschean
16th April 2006, 22:51
Many thanks again for your input, Kabayan (fellow Filipino)!

maskytrading
17th April 2006, 09:10
Many thanks again for your input, Kabayan (fellow Filipino)!

Glad to be of help. For my other Kababayans(fellow countrymen), would you know of any gunstore that sells 45Super Starline brass? I need it badly to finish my 45acp to 45SUPER upgrade

jakechicano
28th June 2006, 21:47
my unit still has an internal extractor.... all the same.. .45 ACP, single column parkerized finish, 8 rounder mag., and says on its slide "ENGLAND,LONDON" just below the brand name. hehehe

John
29th June 2006, 04:22
Let me add another ... flag in here.

Go with the Norinco, Imperial Arms (or whatever they call themselves) is an unknown quantity (and quality).

raff vigilante
1st July 2006, 02:26
Just recently bought an Imperial Defence 1911A1 Enhanced (beavertail safety, novak style rear sight, combat hammer) at P.B Dionisio outlet inside the PNP Fed compound,cost me PHP24K plus license. Test fired it inside the Camps Range I observed that it shoots well using 230g fmj , but jams when i tried using reloads bought at the range.After using fmj again ,it fired flawlessly . This gun named after MICK RANGER of Imperial Defence Services from London, England was built using CNC (Computer Numerically Controlled) machine.So i believe that this cast 1911 is a buget high quality gun. As the gun rep told me, the Ranger was manufactured in Vietnam under licence from IDS London England. I still have to change the guide rod to full size and have the slide edge smoothened and with the right budget have it hard chromed.

dartman
1st July 2006, 18:52
Raff Vigilante, good day to you sir. I also owned ID Ranger 1911A1 single stack, and i am also interested in chroming can you please tell me is it ok, i mean the chrome finish?

Can you also check the slide locking after the last round? Mine failed to lock coz the spring on the plunger is very heavy pushing the slide lock, so i replace the plunger assembly and made some work on the slide lock coz it also being pushed down by the plunger (coz of the angle of the surface edge of the slide lock ) when taking off the magazine.

BTW congratulations on your new ID 1911A1. I have not yet tested mine on reload but i have reload rounds here waiting for me to have time to shoot he he he. Can you also post picture of your new ID1911A1? Thanks :)

jakechicano
2nd July 2006, 23:52
I have fired my ID 1911A1.. so many times already hehehe... I have to affirm that claim where reloads causes the gun to mulfunction or jam as we call it. but with a 230 grain ARMSCOR FMJ all goes smoothly as it should be. this gun is indeed reliable. I just even entered a level 1 comstack shooting competition last June 24 &25, all went well throughout the 6 stages of rapid shooting hehehe (NOTE: I used 230 grain ARMSCOR coated, NO RELOADS). And the only modification I made with my unit is the recoil guide... I had it installed with a stainless recoil guide. had it done by a gunsmith. cost me just around 800php. Since I bought the gun, I have fired already more than 800 rounds. 100 rounds were reloads and it didn't worked out well during practice. I suggest we do use only combat loads (230 gr.) I use mine with ARMSCOR 230gr. sometimes FMJ, sometimes coated.

rey v.
8th July 2006, 00:06
good day to you all!

I've paid and done all the requirements to get a high-cap empirial 1911, the license to posses and the permit to carry. I'm still waiting for my "first 1911" to be released.

I just bought it right-away without consulting or researching for other brands, i guess i was carried away by the sales talk and the price. Having heard that all i need to upgrade is to buy a guide rod, change to combat trigger(is this the right term?), and a magazine guide(?).

I would like to ask you guys if you have done something with your empirial 1911's to make it competition worthy, and if all available 1911's parts from other brand can fit perfectly on your emperial 1911.

I don't like the finish/color so i'm thinking of changing it.

Do you guys have any suggestion? It will be most appreciated.

Thanks to this forum, i can now rest at ease of my doubts.

JD14
19th September 2006, 05:36
i've shot my RANGER COMPACT at pb dionisio range thrice already, i say they are pretty good shooters. but i have a slight problem w/ aiming it. i just can't seem to get the bullets to the center all the time. my groupings usually are on the lower right of the target board, i haven't done any mods on it yet. trying to see if stock settings will do. but when i tried firingmy glock19 at the same distance, my shots went to where i wanted them. pls help me in finding out the problem. is it the gun, recoil guide, or it's just me. thanks

dartman
13th April 2007, 02:59
I've found no trouble at all using reload and factory FMJ ammo. All is smooth and well except for this factory ammo, the one with some rough copper plating on it.

aggb
15th June 2007, 00:03
I bought a compact imperial defence 45. There are no brochures/manuals that goes with it . I was wondering if anyone could help me regarding the gun's performance. There is not match available research materials to be found in the internet. I've made minor adjustments to the gun because it was shooting low, the slide won't lock and there's a bit of a play with regards to the setting of the slide to the frame. Any help regarding my request will be appreciated. Thanks.

John
15th June 2007, 00:55
I think these are made in Vietnam. Not one of the best pistols on earth quality is usually poor. Too early in the morning for you to trust my writings though, I am sure others will hop in.

aggb
15th June 2007, 02:56
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa54/aggbautista/guntrimmed.jpg
This is the gun I bought July of last year. It is still shooting a little low to the right and I'm still in the process of zeroing it.