PDA

View Full Version : Slide release very stiff

stormdragon
24th October 2004, 12:31
I recently bought a PB9160L chambered in .45. I have two questions.

When the pistol has a loaded mag or no mag, the slide release is very smooth and works fine. When the gun has an empty mag inserted it's VERY difficult to press the slide release lever. What am I missing.

Also, I bought the gun listed as having night sight. However, the sights appear to me to be like combat iron sights, but with three dots. Are they three dot hi-vis, or phosphorus night sights. They are definitely not novak or tritium night sights with inserts.

Thanks

wichaka
24th October 2004, 13:05
If your slide release is stiff, my first guess is that your slide is locked back? If so, it should be stiff, as you're trying to over come the spring pressure on the mag. It was not designed to release with an empty mag. Shouldn't ever release the slide on an empty chamber, it batters things.

As for night sights.........turn off the lights and see if they glow. If not.......they're not.

stormdragon
24th October 2004, 13:34
I don't release the slide with and empty chamber. I do hold the slide and release it and hold it as it slides forward. I do this on my not 1911 guns, all sigs with no problem. I have a Kimber Custom II and this also works this way with no problem. I suppose the release on the SAs are different.

The sights do not glow, so....

stans
24th October 2004, 14:13
Sounds like the magazine spring is stiff and that is the way it should be. If you can easily depress the slide stop with and empty mag locked in the pistol, then the spring is likely to be a little on the weak side. And you are wise to never drop the slide on an empty chamber. How many times have I seen gun shop commandos take out the mag, thumb down the slide stop and let the slide slam home? I can't count that high. :eek:

wichaka
24th October 2004, 17:14
The release on Kimbers & SA's are interchangeable.........so they shouldn't be much different.

OD.45
25th October 2004, 15:36
I don't release the slide with and empty chamber. I do hold the slide and release it and hold it as it slides forward. I do this on my not 1911 guns, all sigs with no problem. I have a Kimber Custom II and this also works this way with no problem. I suppose the release on the SAs are different.

The sights do not glow, so....

First thing is to call Springfield. The customer service is great! If there is a problem they can work you through it. Now, with your sights if you have a problem with them they can also help with that. I had a front sight that was to causing me to hit 6" or so lower than POA. I called them and they said to send the gun in and they replaced and test fired the gun. I think they could take care of your problems free also!